Nervous about my mammogram after 1 year of cancer treatment. Any advice?

margz35
margz35 Member Posts: 53
Hi everyone:
Happy New Year! So I have my mammogram on January 23 just over a year after being diagnosed with DCIS / 1 positive node / L mastectomy / 4 x taxotere/cytocin of chemo.
My last chemo treatment was on July 1 and the reason I did chemo was due to the path report finding a small invasive bc cell in my 1st sentinel node.
My hair is around 3 inches long and curly wurly. I have not started taking tamoxifen - that will commence the first week of February.
My reconstruction was completed on November 30 and all is fantastic.

Anyway, I digress .... I am a little panicked about my upcoming mammogram and horror of horrors I need to go through this again?

Is this just 1 year jitters? Any thoughts to calm me down ladies?

Margz

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    hmmmm, take deep breaths,
    hmmmm, take deep breaths, bring a friend to your mammo and then try to do something fun. distract distract distract..... I think the first mammo is hard to get through but I look forward to see you posting that all is well. and You are NED!!!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    carkris said:

hmmmm, take deep breaths,
    hmmmm, take deep breaths, bring a friend to your mammo and then try to do something fun. distract distract distract..... I think the first mammo is hard to get through but I look forward to see you posting that all is well. and You are NED!!!

I know no solution
    I think we all do it. You just have the accept that you're going to be nervous, worried, going to the dark side, etc. when you have these tests. I thought I'd convinced myself that the mammo, test, whatever was just for reassurance, but I was literally sick before my first mammogram after treatment. I think it will get better as time goes by, but I have a friend who is 7 years out and she still gets nervous before every exam.

We'll gas up the pink bus and go with you on the 23rd, tho.

Suzanne
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Taking a friend is a great
    Taking a friend is a great idea. Do something relaxing just before, a hike, a pedi, a massage. Then plan something fun after to look forward to like dinner or lunch or shopping. I would say come see me, I will walk you through it, but I don't know what state you are in! Let the tech know you are anxious, most will try to make it easier for you. We still have to compress, and all that, but sometimes just taking a little extra time helps.

Cindy
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108
    mamolady said:

Taking a friend is a great
    Taking a friend is a great idea. Do something relaxing just before, a hike, a pedi, a massage. Then plan something fun after to look forward to like dinner or lunch or shopping. I would say come see me, I will walk you through it, but I don't know what state you are in! Let the tech know you are anxious, most will try to make it easier for you. We still have to compress, and all that, but sometimes just taking a little extra time helps.

Cindy

Yep, same for me!
    I was way more nervous about the mammo than all the other tests I had. Even though my Cancer did not show on the mamo I still felt like that is where it all began! God thing about you get results right away, so no waiting! Although the tech who did mine forgot to come out and tell me all was OK! I sat there for an hour before I got up the nerve to go ask what was goin on and she said she thought she gave me the ok right after! I went running out of there! Great idea to do something fun afterwards.

Hugs and prayers
    Nana
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I know no solution
    I think we all do it. You just have the accept that you're going to be nervous, worried, going to the dark side, etc. when you have these tests. I thought I'd convinced myself that the mammo, test, whatever was just for reassurance, but I was literally sick before my first mammogram after treatment. I think it will get better as time goes by, but I have a friend who is 7 years out and she still gets nervous before every exam.

We'll gas up the pink bus and go with you on the 23rd, tho.

Suzanne

Being nervous is the norm
    Being nervous is the norm for all of us anymore for our mammo's or any tests. Please just know that we will all be there with you holding your hand.

Good luck and I'll be on the pink bus for you!

Lex
  • Marketing20107
    Marketing20107 Member Posts: 15
    Mammogram
    Hi I was nervous also, I had mines on yesterday, everything was great... I know how you feel, because we all had to go through so much last year,but remember we are fighters, and nothing will stop us. Stay postive..You are in my prayers.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Mammogram
    Hi I was nervous also, I had mines on yesterday, everything was great... I know how you feel, because we all had to go through so much last year,but remember we are fighters, and nothing will stop us. Stay postive..You are in my prayers.

I'm wishing you a clean
    I'm wishing you a clean mammo. I have the jitters also before my mammo and ultrasound. You will be fine!

Congrats to you Marketing20107 on your good news.

Hugs, Jan