Port Removal on Friday!

Nana C.
Nana C. Member Posts: 108
I am so excited to finally get my port removed. I have had it since March 2010, and it is time to go! I was given the choose of staying awake or be put to sleep. I choose to stay awake. I have had enough of fasting and waiting in recovery! Ready to be in and out. I would love to hear your thoughts, it is not too late to change my mind.

Thanks for all you do!!!!!!!!!
Nana

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Yeeeeeaaay Nana!
    Congrats on your mile stone. I think I would stay awake for it too.
    Mine was taken out during my mastectomy but I just don't like the
    way I feel when I wake up. I read here, that some sisters had theirs
    taken out at the doctor's office so I therefore I don't think that it
    is major surgery.
    Now no one can "access" you... that's what this one chemo nurse used
    to tell me. That is until I told her how that made the hair on the
    back of my neck stand up. Don't know why but that is still my least
    favorite sentence of ALL TIMES!

Let us know how you celebrated. Some ladies kept theirs and made
    key rings and such. I didn't think of it but but how cool is it to
    hold on to a device that helped save your life?

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    aysemari said:

Yeeeeeaaay Nana!
    is major surgery.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Good luck Nana on the
    Good luck Nana on the deporting!
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    You'll be fine...
    staying awake. I had my port removed in the surgeon's office. After the numbing I didn't feel anything but relief that it was being removed. I also felt good that I was able to drive myself there and drive myself back home. I hate having procedures that won't allow me to maintain my independence.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    jamiegww said:

You'll be fine...
    staying awake. I had my port removed in the surgeon's office. After the numbing I didn't feel anything but relief that it was being removed. I also felt good that I was able to drive myself there and drive myself back home. I hate having procedures that won't allow me to maintain my independence.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Easy
    I had mine removed in surgeon's office. I used the numbing cream before I went,Doctor told me I could use it. Did not feel a thing when they gave me the numbing injection just a little pulling when it can out. Drove my self home,little discomfort after not bad at all. Good luck Cindy
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339

Easy
    I had mine removed in surgeon's office. I used the numbing cream before I went,Doctor told me I could use it. Did not feel a thing when they gave me the numbing injection just a little pulling when it can out. Drove my self home,little discomfort after not bad at all. Good luck Cindy

woohoo that's great... I had
    woohoo that's great... I had my surgeon do it in his office and I was awake... there was nothing to it... I was right back to work right after I left his office...

Good Luck
    Eva
  • Nana C.
    epark said:

woohoo that's great... I had
    woohoo that's great... I had my surgeon do it in his office and I was awake... there was nothing to it... I was right back to work right after I left his office...

Good Luck
    Eva

Thank you all!
    Thank you all so much for the confirmation that I made the right decission! I also decided not to be put to sleep because I like to drive myself, and I hate all that fasting and recovery room stuff. Too much Drama, have had all that I need! Thanks again!

Nana
  • Nana C.
    aysemari said:

Yeeeeeaaay Nana!
    is major surgery.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Great Idea Ayse!
    I never gave celebrating a thought, but now that you mention it, I deserve it! Didn't do anything after Chem was finished or Radiation. Key ring sounds like a good idea. I did love my port, but at little nervouse about it, my lung was punctured when it was put it. OUCH! That ended up in a hospital stay!

Hugs,
    Nana
  • Nana C.
    jamiegww said:

You'll be fine...

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Sounds like we have alot in common Jamie !
    I drove myself to must everything. I have a wonderful Family and lots of good Friend available to me, but I usually wanted to go alone. When I went to see the surgeon she was really put out that I was alone. Let my family have it after surgery. Wasn't their fault, I just felt more comfortable being able to ask questions and being myself without worrying about anyone elses reations. My very best friend, for 40 years, passed away with breast cancer 5 years ago and I was by her side all the way, so I was not really surprised by anything I heard. The big difference is she always knew it was going to get her and I know I am going to be fine. I am so sorry, didn't mean to ramble on!

Hugs,
    Nana
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Nana C. said:

I drove myself to must everything. I have a wonderful Family and lots of good Friend available to me, but I usually wanted to go alone. When I went to see the surgeon she was really put out that I was alone. Let my family have it after surgery. Wasn't their fault, I just felt more comfortable being able to ask questions and being myself without worrying about anyone elses reations. My very best friend, for 40 years, passed away with breast cancer 5 years ago and I was by her side all the way, so I was not really surprised by anything I heard. The big difference is she always knew it was going to get her and I know I am going to be fine. I am so sorry, didn't mean to ramble on!

Hugs,
    Nana

Hi Nana
    I was faced with this too, I chose to keep mine in since March 2009 as the vascular surgeon saw that I had triple neg and maybe it will be used again as I have a recurrence.
    I too go everywhere mostly on my own altho now a biopsy will be done. Family coming.

Congratulations on your decision.. Its very freeing isn't it!!

Happy for you.
  • Nana C.

Hi Nana
    I was faced with this too, I chose to keep mine in since March 2009 as the vascular surgeon saw that I had triple neg and maybe it will be used again as I have a recurrence.
    I too go everywhere mostly on my own altho now a biopsy will be done. Family coming.

Congratulations on your decision.. Its very freeing isn't it!!

Happy for you.

Prayers coming your way!
    We all will be Sending lots of prayers your way for biopsy on friday. Please let us know how it goes!

Hugs
    Nana
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Being de-ported
    Congratulations of your upcoming deportation. I got mine removed 3 months after I finished chemo. While it was wonderful to have it always "creeped me out" and I couldn't wait to have it removed. My husband is a colon cancer survivor and he kept his port 3 years.

I had my port removed in my surgeon's office. He numbed the area with lidocaine and within 10 minutes the port was out. I had about 2 stitches which was covered by a steri-strip. The strip peeled off within a week and that was that. I drove myself to and from the surgeon's office. It was probably the least invasive of the many procedures I have had done in the last 2 years.

Good luck.

IRENE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Nana C. said:

Hugs,
    Nana

I have taken myself to all
    I have taken myself to all appts that I wasn't required to have a driver for (port implant, surgery, colonoscopy). There is no way I wanted Hubby or Son sitting there watching the poison flow into my body. I did ask them if they wanted to go to any appts and both said no unless you need us and they both cleared it with their bosses to carry their cell on days I had something going on as both companies banned cells during work. I am a very independant old 'board' - I had to be with Hubby doing 20 years in the Navy and the only family was our Sons, his parents and mine - no siblings on either side- were gone.

Right now Hubby is driving me to my appts and leaving me. The only reason is that thanks to Chemo and Rads I have cataractsnow. I mght could drive but I don't feel comfortable being on the Interstate or in heavy town driving until after surgery next month.

My port has been in for almost 2 1/2 yrs and will be for another 2 1/2. Being IBC it makes no sense to me (my Drs agree) to have it taken out before 5 years 'just in case'. To me doing the monthly flushes gives me the feeling that I still doing something to fight. Also it let's me personally see my PA's RN and talk to her in person if I have any questions/issues.

Susan
  • Nana C.
    Rague said:

I have taken myself to all
    I have taken myself to all appts that I wasn't required to have a driver for (port implant, surgery, colonoscopy). There is no way I wanted Hubby or Son sitting there watching the poison flow into my body. I did ask them if they wanted to go to any appts and both said no unless you need us and they both cleared it with their bosses to carry their cell on days I had something going on as both companies banned cells during work. I am a very independant old 'board' - I had to be with Hubby doing 20 years in the Navy and the only family was our Sons, his parents and mine - no siblings on either side- were gone.

Right now Hubby is driving me to my appts and leaving me. The only reason is that thanks to Chemo and Rads I have cataractsnow. I mght could drive but I don't feel comfortable being on the Interstate or in heavy town driving until after surgery next month.

My port has been in for almost 2 1/2 yrs and will be for another 2 1/2. Being IBC it makes no sense to me (my Drs agree) to have it taken out before 5 years 'just in case'. To me doing the monthly flushes gives me the feeling that I still doing something to fight. Also it let's me personally see my PA's RN and talk to her in person if I have any questions/issues.

Susan

I know exactly how you feel Susan
    I felt so much more at ease when I was could ask questions myself. Looking back, it probably wasn't the right thing to do, but I then decided which information I gave out. it worked out ok though. When I was going through Chem, because of the Benadryl I couldn't drive myself, so I had my Daughter-inlaw drop me off and my Dad picked me up. They were both glad to do it. On my first chemo I took a really special friend, that was great to have her there for the first treatment and to hear all the instructions, but I decided that day that I would go by myself after that. I was there for 5 hours and couldn't have someone else sit there for that long. sometimes I slept anyway. But Everyone is different, eventually my family understood and didn't give me a hard time about it. Although they still call me Miss Independent!! LOL. I was not going to let cancer take away who I was, although I think that is getting harder instead of better. I do wish I would have accepted help around the house!! HA HA! I could really use a break right now! OK, here I go rambling again! Guess I need to talk today. Thanks so much to you all for being here!

I pray that you no longer needs that port, but better safe than sorry!

Hugs,

Nana
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Nana C. said:

Hugs,
    Nana

Good luck to you!Hugs,
    Good luck to you!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Nana C. said:

Hugs,
    Nana

Wishing you the best in
    Wishing you the best in having your port taken out!