Any experience with Oil Pulling Therapy?

I'm going to start radiation therapy soon. Just wonder if anyone has experience with OPT to ease any dry mouth issues.

Thanks,

olivia

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103 Member
    Never Heard of this
    I had never heard of this. I often laugh and think maybe I should put oil in my mouth to help the dry mouth situation. I read a few articles--always share with your doctor what you plan on doing. I would not do this prior to radiation, you can't even have lip balm on when you go in for rads. Seems like this couldn't hurt after radiation. I didn't even leave the room without putting on balm, techs. warned me to have clean hands.
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Dry Mouth
    I did not do anything during treatment but they did try to spare the saliva glands when they developed the radiation plan. I did end up with dry mouth but it is improving by the week. I never had the thick mucous issue. Now if I can just figure out how to deal with my super sensitive teeth, which was never a issue pre-rads.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    What Is It?
    Never heard of Oil Pulling Therapy.

Like Skiffin, I had Amifostine injections - I was one of the (majority) who had to stop injections. I knew there existed the possibility I'd develop a lethal side effect, but it was extremely rare - I'd most likely develop a rash and perhaps develop a sensitivity and reactions that might prohibit continued injections. My injection nurse said "You can tell a big difference usually between the ones who don't get the shots and the ones who do."
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Amifostine Injections
    Myself and a few others on here had them during rads....

Each day around 15 minutes before rads sessions, I'd have the injection in my stomach...35 days...almost 35 injections.

I think I got to around 32 injections before I started having a reaction. For me that was extreme temperature swings.

But (and I can only speak for myself), I can only presume they did what they were supposed to do.

They said it would help keep down the thick ropey phlegm during rads...never had it.

They also said it was a possibility of some saliva reproduction...two plus years out and I have nearly 100% of my saliva and taste back.

Someone on here once said their MD said Amifostine was archaic, not used any longer. But I still see a lot of reference to it on Google.

Anyways, for me...I can only highly endorse it. It does come with a high probability that you won't be able to finish all 35 doses. Most people start having some kind of reaction, they vary....none lethal that I'm aware though.

Best,
    John
  • Skiffin16
    Oil Pulling
    It's an approach of putting a few teaspoons of unrefined, cold pressed oil in the mouth...swishing, pushing and pulling it through the teeth.

Supposedly to pull toxins out of the body..helping to relieve symptoms ranging from migraine headaches, bronchitis, diseased teeth, arterio thrombosis, chronic blood disorders such as leukemia, arthritis and related illnesses, neuro physiological paralysis, eczema, gastro enteritis, peritonitis, heart disease, kidney disease, meningitis, and women’s hormonal disorders....

I'm not sure of what claims of effects that it might have on saliva retention....

It's not really something that I'd mess with personally, especially when you are already in an immune system comprimized condition.

But that's just me...I'm a pretty straight traditional medicine/treatment person.

Best,
    John
  • Skiffin16
    jtl said:

Dry Mouth
    I did not do anything during treatment but they did try to spare the saliva glands when they developed the radiation plan. I did end up with dry mouth but it is improving by the week. I never had the thick mucous issue. Now if I can just figure out how to deal with my super sensitive teeth, which was never a issue pre-rads.

Sensodyne
    Have you tried Sensodyne, I know it's supposed to help with sensitive teeth.

JG
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Skiffin16 said:

Oil Pulling
    It's an approach of putting a few teaspoons of unrefined, cold pressed oil in the mouth...swishing, pushing and pulling it through the teeth.

Supposedly to pull toxins out of the body..helping to relieve symptoms ranging from migraine headaches, bronchitis, diseased teeth, arterio thrombosis, chronic blood disorders such as leukemia, arthritis and related illnesses, neuro physiological paralysis, eczema, gastro enteritis, peritonitis, heart disease, kidney disease, meningitis, and women’s hormonal disorders....

I'm not sure of what claims of effects that it might have on saliva retention....

It's not really something that I'd mess with personally, especially when you are already in an immune system comprimized condition.

But that's just me...I'm a pretty straight traditional medicine/treatment person.

Best,
    John

Hmmmm
    Don't wanna be a wet blanket - but I know my doc had me stop taking fish oil (I took oil form, not caps, tabs or pills) during treatment.