OT: Calling all Trader Joe's fans! Suggestions for sbmly53

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
So our poor, underprivileged Sue (sbmly53) is finally getting a Trader Joe's in her neck of the woods come springtime, and has already started her shopping list...I think she may be planning to camp out in their parking lot overnight for opening day!

So, all you Trader Joe's shoppers out there -- let's help her with her list: What are your favorite Trader Joe's products? Any creative recommendations for how to prepare/use them?

I'll start us off:

- Truffle Brownie Mix - Best. Brownie. Mix. EVER. Even if you just make straight brownies, no pumpkin swirl-ness. It's the official brownie of our church -- required at all church potlucks!

- Chile-Lime Chicken Burgers - Yummy, and terrific for those days when you forgot to plan anything for dinner. Grab these burgers from TJ's frozen section, fresh guacamole and salsa from their deli case to put on them, burger buns from the bread section, and voilà -- dinner is served!

- Maple Leaf Cookies - It may be that my girlfriend loves these more than she loves me. :-)

I could go on and on...and on and on....but now I've totally made myself hungry. I think I have to go make me some brownies....

:-) Traci

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Chocolate covered cherries!
    Chocolate covered cherries! I am totally addicted to them.
    Peppermint Joe Joe's, I stocked up since they will go away till next christmas.
    The white frosting is my daughters favorite and the coffee is a favorite of her in-laws.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    mamolady said:

Chocolate covered cherries!
    Chocolate covered cherries! I am totally addicted to them.
    Peppermint Joe Joe's, I stocked up since they will go away till next christmas.
    The white frosting is my daughters favorite and the coffee is a favorite of her in-laws.

making me hungry
    and jealous......wish I had one here. Maybe one day.......white frosting..yum...I love frosting!!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    debi.18 said:

making me hungry
    and jealous......wish I had one here. Maybe one day.......white frosting..yum...I love frosting!!

So Traci...
    fill me in. What is Trader Joe's...assuming a grocery store?

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Trader Joes
    I love all of their pasta products, my favorite is the basil pasta. My husband and grand kids love their low fat kitty cookies. They come in chocolate and vanilla flavored and are in a plastic bucket, quite yummy!

RE
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I love Trader Joes
    and we will not get one in Utah because of the liquor laws! They couldn't sell their wine here, so when we go to So. Cal, I load up! There is talk about changing the laws here, but I don't think I will see that for quite some time to come.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    RE said:

Trader Joes
    I love all of their pasta products, my favorite is the basil pasta. My husband and grand kids love their low fat kitty cookies. They come in chocolate and vanilla flavored and are in a plastic bucket, quite yummy!

RE

Trader Joe's
    Sylvia...oh, you poor underprivileged thing yourself....Trader Joe's is a small grocery store that specializes in fun, unusual, often gourmet Trader Joe's-brand products, at low prices. It's the kind of place where you can afford to buy brie without breaking the bank, and they have 6 kinds to choose from.

They started out in Pasadena, California, and most of their locations are in California and Arizona, but they expanded to the Boston area years ago, and have a lot of Midwest and New York locations now, too.

I just looked at their full list of locations (http://www.traderjoes.com/pdf/locations/all-llocations.pdf), and it looks like they're in the process of expanding into Texas -- Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano and Spring are all "Coming Soon." Any of those near you, Sylvia?

RE, those kitty cookies -- my girlfriend's daughter (now 18) apparently loved those when she was tiny -- loved to bite the heads off the kitties -- and EVERY SINGLE TIME we pass them at Trader's, Trace gets a little misty-eyed and has to tell me that story again. She's such a mom.

Traci
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    camul said:

I love Trader Joes
    and we will not get one in Utah because of the liquor laws! They couldn't sell their wine here, so when we go to So. Cal, I load up! There is talk about changing the laws here, but I don't think I will see that for quite some time to come.

They do not sell liquor in new Jersey
    Carol,
    Trader Joe's do not sell liquor in New Jersey, so you can lobby you congressmen to give them attractive business climate to invite to Utah.
    As you know since I quit eating white flour cookies, let's talk healthy choices like California nuts, Cranberry juice (not from concentrate), Mackintosh apple juice (not from concentrate) and variety cheeses and chocolates from France, Holland& Spain at very reasonable prices.
    New Flower
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

They do not sell liquor in new Jersey
    Carol,
    Trader Joe's do not sell liquor in New Jersey, so you can lobby you congressmen to give them attractive business climate to invite to Utah.
    As you know since I quit eating white flour cookies, let's talk healthy choices like California nuts, Cranberry juice (not from concentrate), Mackintosh apple juice (not from concentrate) and variety cheeses and chocolates from France, Holland& Spain at very reasonable prices.
    New Flower

Oh where to start....
    I love their Wasabi Mayonaisse, chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, spinach pie (frozen section) their molasses soft cookies, but my all time absolute fav is the tomatoless corn relish!!! I can nearly eat a whole jar accompanied by their tortilla chips! Oh Joe~so glad you moved into the neighborhood!!
    ~Melanie
  • cejota
    cejota Member Posts: 24

Oh where to start....
    I love their Wasabi Mayonaisse, chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, spinach pie (frozen section) their molasses soft cookies, but my all time absolute fav is the tomatoless corn relish!!! I can nearly eat a whole jar accompanied by their tortilla chips! Oh Joe~so glad you moved into the neighborhood!!
    ~Melanie

T.J.'s
    In Seattle there are at least six TJ's within 10 miles driving distance from me! Veggie meats for the husband are always a good price. I love, I mean LOVE, the cheese prices. I also get my dry cat food and dog cookies there. A "go-to" place for a lot of things!
    cj
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I am making a list!
    Thanks, Traci! I tried the brownies again and was much more successful this time. So TJ's is opening in Rochester - a 3.5 hour drive for me. I get there twice a year, going in April & August, so I do need to start my list - all ideas welcome!

Sue
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    dark chocolate covered espresso beans, triple cream brie or any cheese on sale, 2 buck chuck wines great cabernet hmmmmmm still thinkin'
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    tufi000 said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    dark chocolate covered espresso beans, triple cream brie or any cheese on sale, 2 buck chuck wines great cabernet hmmmmmm still thinkin'

My list
    Masala veggie burgers (frozen section). Serve on whole wheat bun with a little plain yogurt, cucumbers, and alfalfa sprouts. Yummmo. Really different.
    Brown basmati rice.
    Masala simmer sauce (seeing a theme here?)
    Curry simmer sauce
    (re the simmer sauces, I cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts, dump the sauce on top, add some frozen peas, and let it all simmer. Serve over rice)
    Frozen gnocci. So easy and good.
    Pita chips.
    Hummus.

So many good things.