First new baseline mammogram

terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering when did you all get your first new baseline mammogram after a lumpectomy and radiation? My oncologist said I should have it 6 months (Oct) after radiation(finished in April) along with a bone density test since i started arimidex a week ago. My surgeons nurse told me after my last check up that I should be having it about 3 months after radiation. Any thoughts about this?

Comments

• sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    First New Baseline mammogram
    Hi terri
    I had mine 9 months after lumpectomy, and approx 6 months after radiation was finished.
    Seems like after that first mammogram and ultrasound (which was clean) I started on the road to recovery, feeling less anxious, I was able to sleep at nite again, eat regularly, breathe regularly and actually just enjoy my life again. A real turning point for me although the anxiety and feeling of dread in the weeks before the first mammogram was mile high. Looking back I realize b/c was not that hard on my physical wellbeing, but really did a number on my "mind". If I have to face this beast again I know, for me, my mental health will need treatment first, and it's good to know there are meds that can help.
    Hugs
    sgamtd
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    There doesn't seem to be agreement
    Hi, Terri -

I've read in ACS and National Cancer Institute materials that the "standard" timeframe for the 1st mammogram is 6 months after radiation, and have seen many women here whose doctors said the same thing.

When it was my turn, however, both my surgeon and oncologist insisted that the standard is 3 months after radiation.

So there's definitely some disagreement among medical professionals on this -- if it's possible, I would ask your oncologist and your surgeon to talk among themselves and decide what timeframe is best for you -- but I also wouldn't worry over either one they decide.

Traci
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    TraciInLA said:

There doesn't seem to be agreement
    Hi, Terri -

I've read in ACS and National Cancer Institute materials that the "standard" timeframe for the 1st mammogram is 6 months after radiation, and have seen many women here whose doctors said the same thing.

When it was my turn, however, both my surgeon and oncologist insisted that the standard is 3 months after radiation.

So there's definitely some disagreement among medical professionals on this -- if it's possible, I would ask your oncologist and your surgeon to talk among themselves and decide what timeframe is best for you -- but I also wouldn't worry over either one they decide.

Traci

I had mine at 6 months. I
    I had mine at 6 months. I will have a mammy on the right breast every 6 months for 2 years.Regular yearly on the left.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    It was 6 months from bad mammo (10/28)
    to good mammo (4/22). Lumpectomy on 12/7, rads ended 3/5. I was in a hurry. I was scared because I was having some pain and it was time for my 6 month mammo on the other side.

I had calcifications in right breast in '99 and '00. Biopsies were fine and followed up with mammos every 6 months, with annual mammo on left. Guess which breast had cancer - left! So, now every 6 months both sides.

Surgeon was okay with the time, no one else said anything about waiting....

Sue
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    sbmly53 said:

It was 6 months from bad mammo (10/28)
    to good mammo (4/22). Lumpectomy on 12/7, rads ended 3/5. I was in a hurry. I was scared because I was having some pain and it was time for my 6 month mammo on the other side.

I had calcifications in right breast in '99 and '00. Biopsies were fine and followed up with mammos every 6 months, with annual mammo on left. Guess which breast had cancer - left! So, now every 6 months both sides.

Surgeon was okay with the time, no one else said anything about waiting....

Sue

Like Traci said it does vary
    Like Traci said it does vary from doctor to doctor. I had mine 6 months after rads ended. I had my bone density test done before I began Arimidex. My onc felt that this would give them a baseline. But that decision also varies from doctor to doctor. At my one year, there were some changes and I now that Vitamin D and calcium supplements. If there are further changes next April I will start prescription meds. Other than this I have had no problems with taking Arimidex.
    Stef
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    fauxma said:

Like Traci said it does vary
    Like Traci said it does vary from doctor to doctor. I had mine 6 months after rads ended. I had my bone density test done before I began Arimidex. My onc felt that this would give them a baseline. But that decision also varies from doctor to doctor. At my one year, there were some changes and I now that Vitamin D and calcium supplements. If there are further changes next April I will start prescription meds. Other than this I have had no problems with taking Arimidex.
    Stef

thanks
    thanks to all of you for your responses. It really helps soothe my nerves about everything. I have been taking the arimidex for a week and a day and so far I haven't noticed any changes. I hope it stays that way. I already have hot flashes daily so hopefully they won't intensify.
  • Dabulls23
    Dabulls23 Member Posts: 1
    my first mamogram almost 18 months after lumpectomy
    I had my first lumpectomy 7-23-11, 8-10-11 had wide excision..did my radiation @ a higher doze of 6 wks into 4 wks swhich completed 10-13-11...My first mamogram is on 1-16-12. My breast hurts so much and am afraid of mamogram sqeezing the heck out of it..Initially I was told I would have mamogram in 6 months but my surgeon told me to wait until 2 yrs as breast was tender, sore and hurting-healing...My primary requested to have mamogram soon so I am scheduled..

I have already tried Arimidex and Tamoxifen and had severe side effects to both and ended up in emergency with each...As my oncodx score is low and chances of reoccurance is smaller My onco dr thinks I will be ok...I rather die of cancer someday than dying of being on Armidex with heartattack or stroke..Already started floaters in both my eyes for almost a yr now..

Not sure what to expect with the outcome of the mamo but hope all will be alright..
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Dabulls23 said:

my first mamogram almost 18 months after lumpectomy
    I had my first lumpectomy 7-23-11, 8-10-11 had wide excision..did my radiation @ a higher doze of 6 wks into 4 wks swhich completed 10-13-11...My first mamogram is on 1-16-12. My breast hurts so much and am afraid of mamogram sqeezing the heck out of it..Initially I was told I would have mamogram in 6 months but my surgeon told me to wait until 2 yrs as breast was tender, sore and hurting-healing...My primary requested to have mamogram soon so I am scheduled..

I have already tried Arimidex and Tamoxifen and had severe side effects to both and ended up in emergency with each...As my oncodx score is low and chances of reoccurance is smaller My onco dr thinks I will be ok...I rather die of cancer someday than dying of being on Armidex with heartattack or stroke..Already started floaters in both my eyes for almost a yr now..

Not sure what to expect with the outcome of the mamo but hope all will be alright..

It's been 2 1/2
    It's been 2 1/2 years since dx. I get my mammos every 6 months since my lumpectomy 2009.Then 3 weeks later a margin surgery to make sure my doctor got all the cancer. Seems like it was going to be 2 years and then annual mammos but I am having one this month and it will be 2 1/2 years.Probably because a benign tumor was found in July 2011 and they want to watch it. If all is OK this month I MIGHT be going in every year for a mammo.Seems like all I do is get mammos or ultrasounds.

Lynn Smith