Please cheer me on

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
I've decided to let my hair grow. Every time I've tried since chemo, I think it's going to be thin, but ok, and then it gets about 2" long and it's obvious it's not ok and I cry and buzz it short again. My friend is a hairdresser and she's going to help with keeping it shaped to grow into a style. My New Year's resolution is to stick it out until June. Its current status is still bald at the crown, very thin on top, and just thin everywhere else. Basically nothing appears much different since my last picture on my Expressions page, but I won't know whether there's a style I can wear or not if I don't give it a shot.

Please wish me luck. I know on the big picture, this is so small, but I hate looking like I'm in the midst of chemo when I'm not.

Suzanne

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Dear Suzanne,
    Let me get my pom poms - I'm here to cheer you on! When I look at your picture, I see a winning smile, beautiful sparkling eyes and a positive attitude. I'm sure your hair will 'catch up'. How fortunate to have a friend who's a hairdresser.

Sue
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Hair
    Suzanne,

You have my blessings girl, go for it. When I had my recurrance and lost my hair again it took a long time to grow back. The front part near my forehead took the most time. I wore my wig for a while till it got about two inches. It was at that time I decided I didn't care anymore and just went with it. Cheering you on. Positivity.

Terry
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Hair
    Double post sorry
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    mom62 said:

Hair
    Double post sorry

A cheer for you ;)
    1234 let that hair grow some more :) I understand about the thin hair. Mine is just now starting to thicken up. It's about 41/2 inches long now. I have been using mane n tail since my last chemo 9 months ago. Also, I take biotin & I take the be healthy purple chews from GNC. My hair has a style all of its own with lots of curls but I love it.

Good luck with the hair growth & I want to hear all about your short. & sassy hair do as it grows ;)

Hugs,

Dawne
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Wishing you the best,i
    Wishing you the best,i didn't have chemo but my hair has thinned a lot from age but also from the Tamoxifen i tryed to let it grow so i could just pull it back in a pony tale but it was so thin on the sides you could see my scalp so i just cut it short and will keep it that way now, our lives change so do our hair styles.Frankie
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

Wishing you the best,i
    Wishing you the best,i didn't have chemo but my hair has thinned a lot from age but also from the Tamoxifen i tryed to let it grow so i could just pull it back in a pony tale but it was so thin on the sides you could see my scalp so i just cut it short and will keep it that way now, our lives change so do our hair styles.Frankie

We need to take you
    to see Hair, the musical. Or at least send you the soundtrack.

The hair would bum me out. You're very stoic and brave and not whiny and I know you know what's important in life and you clearly have gratitude and values and I just want you to know the hair thing is so NOT FAIR. There. I said it:). Having said it, go for it. Grow it. Let your friend help you with it. You have nothing to lose. And meanwhile, what I see is a gorgeous smiling woman who logs on every day and shares her wisdom.

I'm cheering you on. Thanks for letting me be part of the team!

xoxo
    Victoria
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    I wish
    I wish I could send you some of mine. Though it is not super thick like it used to be, it seems like it will get back there eventually. Right now I cannot get a cut, but perhaps in a month or two I can.

I will pray that you get hair at least as thick as I have now. Go for it God. Send her hair that acts like it was shampooed with Miracle Grow.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-)
    You have a cheering section here, go go let it grow!!! :-) Hoping you end up with a style that pleases you!

Hugs,

RE
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    You can do it!!!
    Has your hairdresser friend suggested extensions or weaves to help transitions? Mine told me we will see this time with the rads but if my bangs are as slow as they were with chemo she wants to do bang extensions since it is the part that bothered me most.

I think you should take a weekly picture in the bathroom mirror like the prego girls do, numbered by week, and post it so we can have our own growth chart!

Go hair, go hair!

Jennifer
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Wishing You a Perfect Hair Style
    If that is your photo Suzanne, one look at your beautiful smile and no one will notice your thin hair.

I do wish you luck to find a hair style that you like and allow to grow until June.

Best,

Doris
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413

A cheer for you ;)
    1234 let that hair grow some more :) I understand about the thin hair. Mine is just now starting to thicken up. It's about 41/2 inches long now. I have been using mane n tail since my last chemo 9 months ago. Also, I take biotin & I take the be healthy purple chews from GNC. My hair has a style all of its own with lots of curls but I love it.

Good luck with the hair growth & I want to hear all about your short. & sassy hair do as it grows ;)

Hugs,

Dawne

5, 6, 7, 8!!! Doesn't
    5, 6, 7, 8!!! Doesn't matter if it's curly or straight!....just groooooowwwww! Yeah! Whoowhoo! High kick and shaking pom poms.

I would only do a high kick for you. Go get 'em!

Hugs,

Linda
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    SIROD said:

Wishing You a Perfect Hair Style
    If that is your photo Suzanne, one look at your beautiful smile and no one will notice your thin hair.

I do wish you luck to find a hair style that you like and allow to grow until June.

Best,

Doris

Suzanne - I can so identify
    Suzanne - I can so identify with you; what's the deal about having bald
    spots on the top of the head? I'm a little over 8 months out of chemo
    and only have about 1/4-1/2 an inch everywhere but the top and for some
    reason the hair on my neck grows so rapidly I have to get it trimmed so
    it doesn't come out below my wig. I'm cheering you on to make it to June
    and then see what your stylist can come up with for you. I know if I ever
    get out of a wig, i am keeping my hair short & simple. BTW, our hair appears
    to be much the same color. Good luck girl, surely one day our bald spots
    will fill in!

Teresa
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

5, 6, 7, 8!!! Doesn't
    5, 6, 7, 8!!! Doesn't matter if it's curly or straight!....just groooooowwwww! Yeah! Whoowhoo! High kick and shaking pom poms.

I would only do a high kick for you. Go get 'em!

Hugs,

Linda

9, 10, 11, 12...
    ...With or without hair, you're really swell(ve?)!

Traci

(How you doin' after that high kick, Linda? Need me to FedEx you some Advil? :-)
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    gami43 said:

Suzanne - I can so identify
    Suzanne - I can so identify with you; what's the deal about having bald
    spots on the top of the head? I'm a little over 8 months out of chemo
    and only have about 1/4-1/2 an inch everywhere but the top and for some
    reason the hair on my neck grows so rapidly I have to get it trimmed so
    it doesn't come out below my wig. I'm cheering you on to make it to June
    and then see what your stylist can come up with for you. I know if I ever
    get out of a wig, i am keeping my hair short & simple. BTW, our hair appears
    to be much the same color. Good luck girl, surely one day our bald spots
    will fill in!

Teresa

Suzanne-wishing you good luck with your hair, but
    I just want you to know---you are one beautiful lady regardless of your hair situation. Was wondering if you ever saw the episode of I Love Lucy where Ricky thought he was losing his hair so Lucy concocted a treatment program with eggs and syrup and oils, rubbed it all on with some type of power buffer and then put a stocking on his head. It is too funny, but I don't know if I'd go to that extent!

Take good care.

Hugs, Renee
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Suzanne,
    Keep in mind that

Suzanne,
    Keep in mind that your hair probably looks alot better than you think. We are our own worse critics. I thought my hair looked awful and I kept getting compliments on it.
    Your friend should be able to help you find a way to style it that works better for you.
    Also, my sister has never had chemo and her hair is thinner in front than mine. So it isn't necessarily a "chemo" look.
    **** Luck! and keep up posted.
    Cindy