Going back to work during radiation

jne66
jne66 Member Posts: 26
I have not been able to work for 6 months. I had a lumpectomy 11lymph nodes removed. Stage III with 1lymph node involved. I work In health care setting and could not work during chemo. I start radiation in the next week. I've used all my sick/vacation time and my savings are going fast. I am so tired of worrying about bills and money. I have 3 kids depending on me. Onc and onc rad said ok to return to work as tolerated. That I shouldn't have problems with WBC dropping during radiation. My informal support group says I'm rushing things. Any thoughts? I mow can officially sign up for food stamps!

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo...I had
    I did not have chemo...I had JUST surgery and radiation. I worked full time and did treatments on my lunch with NO side effects...I did not tire, burn, chap etc..so I can't give any advice...thinking of you...

have you considered FMLA (I know no pay if you use that but holds your job)

Denise..
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    I worked
    I had stage 2 and worked 9 days out of 2 weeks. I had intermittent FMLA and used about a day every 2 weeks to a month. I work third shift so the duty is light. I have a couple of hours of down time. Perhaps you can do part time or a partial shift to start back with. You will be tired durring rads. I was always a bit tired anyway because I worked 3rd shift. I learned to not be quite so driven at home durring rads.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    I think if they said you can you should
    Not having to worry as much about $$$$ will make you feel better...if it is too much, regroup.

I gained energy during rads...worked 8 hours and drove round trip 2 hours to rads. My counts were fine during rads but I did develop skin problems slowing the process.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Jennifer
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

I worked
    I had stage 2 and worked 9 days out of 2 weeks. I had intermittent FMLA and used about a day every 2 weeks to a month. I work third shift so the duty is light. I have a couple of hours of down time. Perhaps you can do part time or a partial shift to start back with. You will be tired durring rads. I was always a bit tired anyway because I worked 3rd shift. I learned to not be quite so driven at home durring rads.

I don't work, so, I didn't
    I don't work, so, I didn't have to even try to during rads. Rads did exhaust me and I did require a lot of sleep. So, get lots of rest and if you find that you can't work full time, perhaps you could shorten your work time?

Good luck!
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    I went back to work
    Hello...
    While I had my chemo I was not able to work because I was to sick...
    I had 30 rads... I was able to work while my rads treatment....
    I went in to work early in the morning left to get my rads and went back to work...
    That way I was able to safe some of my time for other f/up's appts....
    I guess it will be up to you...
    Praying for you....
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    I worked
    Full time during double mast, chemo and rads. Made the trip to the hosp each day right from work then headed home. Honestly, the hardest part was changing clothes for the rads since I was dressed for work, pantyhose and all that, and I made sure to crash when I got home. So, if it will relieve the money pressure, I say go for it till your body stops you!
    The best to you whatever you decide. You have traveled far down this road already and soon you will be coasting full steam ahead!
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    tufi000 said:

I worked
    Full time during double mast, chemo and rads. Made the trip to the hosp each day right from work then headed home. Honestly, the hardest part was changing clothes for the rads since I was dressed for work, pantyhose and all that, and I made sure to crash when I got home. So, if it will relieve the money pressure, I say go for it till your body stops you!
    The best to you whatever you decide. You have traveled far down this road already and soon you will be coasting full steam ahead!

Working full time
    I worked full time through my chemo and am doing the same through rads. I sit at a desk in front of two computers screens - have found myself nodding off several times. It hasn't always been easy, but it's been doable~

Good luck & Hugs, Debi
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    tufi000 said:

I worked

I work through my chemo and
    I work through my chemo and just took a couple of days off here and there....I'm now going on my 6 week of rads and did not take any time off... I made my appt later in the day so i can just go straight home afterward and rest if needed.....I did get tired more than usual but never enough to miss work.....good luck with your treatment and god bless

Eva
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    epark said:

I work through my chemo and
    I work through my chemo and just took a couple of days off here and there....I'm now going on my 6 week of rads and did not take any time off... I made my appt later in the day so i can just go straight home afterward and rest if needed.....I did get tired more than usual but never enough to miss work.....good luck with your treatment and god bless

Eva

I took the week off after
    I took the week off after each chemo as I work with the public and not near a restroom. However, I did not miss any work during rads. I also scheduled it for after work, came home and went to bed early as fatigue was my only major side effect. I hope things get easier for you. Take care.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    GMcD said:

I took the week off after
    I took the week off after each chemo as I work with the public and not near a restroom. However, I did not miss any work during rads. I also scheduled it for after work, came home and went to bed early as fatigue was my only major side effect. I hope things get easier for you. Take care.

work during rads
    I worked during rads at a very demanding job. Not the easiest thing in the world, but that is all I did--no "side trips" or "evenings out." I used the commute back & forth to rads (about 40 min. one way) to "rest." I burned rather badly, but the nurse gave me some
    stuff to help ease the discomfort. I wish you the best.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Doable
    Dear JNE,

I worked during radiation driving 1 hour each way for weeks. I scheduled my time at the end of the day so it would not interfere with my work. I also worked during treatments. I find that thinking about something other than cancer puts things into perspective.

Except all the help you can. Ask friends to drive you once in a while if that helps or order a pizza so you won't have to cook.

It is doable.

Best,

Doris
  • jne66
    SIROD said:

Doable
    Dear JNE,

I worked during radiation driving 1 hour each way for weeks. I scheduled my time at the end of the day so it would not interfere with my work. I also worked during treatments. I find that thinking about something other than cancer puts things into perspective.

Except all the help you can. Ask friends to drive you once in a while if that helps or order a pizza so you won't have to cook.

It is doable.

Best,

Doris

Thanks for the insight I
    Thanks for the insight I haven't posted before but I read posts frequently and have learned a great deal going back tomorrow for a half day . Biggest problem now is my 5 year old when he found out I had to radiation every day. He started to cry and said you'll never be better and your hair will never grow back. Breaks my heart.
  • jne66
    SIROD said:

Doable
    Dear JNE,

It is doable.

Best,

Doris

Thanks for the insight I
    Thanks for the insight I haven't posted before but I read posts frequently and have learned a great deal going back tomorrow for a half day . Biggest problem now is my 5 year old when he found out I had to radiation every day. He started to cry and said you'll never be better and your hair will never grow back. Breaks my heart.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Tell him that you are going every day but that it is going to be really quick and that it will not be super strong medicine like chemo was. Tell him it is your "just in case" treatment and that the cancer is probably already dead but the doctor is giving you this treatment "just in case".
  • atiredparent
    atiredparent Member Posts: 45
    I had double mastectomy,
    I had double mastectomy, chemo, and just finished my rads December 23. I did not miss work other than to go to my treatment until the last week of treatment and 2 weeks after. I burned and blistered really bad and the messy ointments and the burning pain made me decide to just stay home. I can tell you though if I didn't have paid time off I could probably have worked atleast part of the past 3 weeks. My oncologist told me to just do what I could do and not push it. If I felt like going to work go, if not stay home. He advised not to try and do extra stuff if I am working. Don't plan parties, trips, etc... that will take energy. Rest every moment that I could. Good luck....
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

Tell him that you are going every day but that it is going to be really quick and that it will not be super strong medicine like chemo was. Tell him it is your "just in case" treatment and that the cancer is probably already dead but the doctor is giving you this treatment "just in case".

I love what you wrote Laughs
    I love what you wrote Laughs a Lot! As far as working during rads, many did, but, you just have to remember to get as much rest as you can as rads will tire you very easily. If you can't work, I hope that your job allows you to take some time off or have more flexible working hours.