Safely made another switch....UPDATE

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited January 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Whew!...and during the flight, my beau saved a man's life! (We were then moved to first class...too bad it was after dinner *smile*). As a result, ended up with a stopover in Chicago on our 'nonstop' flight....

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow

wow
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Do they really still serve
    Do they really still serve meals? I only fly from NYS to Orlando...so just snacks..hehe
  • KathiM
    I'm so proud!!!!
    We were sitting in the cabin behind business class, and noticed alot of crew activity in that cabin. Next came the announcement "Is there a doctor on board?". My beau stepped up, and went into business class. There was a man in heart trouble, very grey (not good) color, and unable to speak. My beau was then joined by another passenger/ doctor on board, and together they attempted to start an IV, and gave the man CPR. The decision was made to turn back to Chicago and the request for emergency landing permission went out. My beau got special permission to sit on the floor with the patient while landing...no seat belts fastened this time *smile*. We ended up on the ground for about an hour. All told, we were about 1 1/2 hours late to Amsterdam. Missed connections, etc...a headache for KLM. But the man and his wife were safely taken off the plane and taken to the nearest hospital. The purser later shared that this was the biggest emergency situation he had seen in the 33 years of his flying. My beau is a hero! And we heard later from the captain that the man was doing better in the hospital. YEA!

Last year, same flight, he was asked to help with a woman with severe abdominal pain...on that occasion, tho, we didn't need to land...

Dutch Hugs, Kathi
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    KathiM said:

I'm so proud!!!!
    We were sitting in the cabin behind business class, and noticed alot of crew activity in that cabin. Next came the announcement "Is there a doctor on board?". My beau stepped up, and went into business class. There was a man in heart trouble, very grey (not good) color, and unable to speak. My beau was then joined by another passenger/ doctor on board, and together they attempted to start an IV, and gave the man CPR. The decision was made to turn back to Chicago and the request for emergency landing permission went out. My beau got special permission to sit on the floor with the patient while landing...no seat belts fastened this time *smile*. We ended up on the ground for about an hour. All told, we were about 1 1/2 hours late to Amsterdam. Missed connections, etc...a headache for KLM. But the man and his wife were safely taken off the plane and taken to the nearest hospital. The purser later shared that this was the biggest emergency situation he had seen in the 33 years of his flying. My beau is a hero! And we heard later from the captain that the man was doing better in the hospital. YEA!

Last year, same flight, he was asked to help with a woman with severe abdominal pain...on that occasion, tho, we didn't need to land...

Dutch Hugs, Kathi

I've always thought your 6
    I've always thought your 6 mos here/6 mos there lifestyle exciting...but this is pretty spectacular. Kudos to your hubby!

Hugs,

Linda
  • KathiM
    Update: email from his wife...
    So, my beau just got a very grateful email from the man's wife. It seems that once they reached the ER, his heart stopped completely. They were able to immediately start it again, but had the decision to land not have happened, he would have coded over the north Atlantic.

My beau was feeling a bit guilty about whether it was overreaction to make an emergency landing, costing KLM lots of money from lost connections, etc....now he knows it was the right decision...he and the other doctor on board really DID save this man's life!!!!!

I'm so proud!!! *smile*

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    KathiM said:

Update: email from his wife...
    So, my beau just got a very grateful email from the man's wife. It seems that once they reached the ER, his heart stopped completely. They were able to immediately start it again, but had the decision to land not have happened, he would have coded over the north Atlantic.

My beau was feeling a bit guilty about whether it was overreaction to make an emergency landing, costing KLM lots of money from lost connections, etc....now he knows it was the right decision...he and the other doctor on board really DID save this man's life!!!!!

I'm so proud!!! *smile*

Dutch hugs, Kathi

.. sounds like a happy ending :)
    Hans is indeed a hero -- a man's life was saved -- no overreaction. KLM will soon recover its money in baggage fair -- and surcharges, a small price to pay, in my book.

Now that you've two made the switch, any exciting - fun travel plans? Let us know .. many of us live Europe vicariously thru you and Hans .. Please share ...

Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

.. sounds like a happy ending :)
    Hans is indeed a hero -- a man's life was saved -- no overreaction. KLM will soon recover its money in baggage fair -- and surcharges, a small price to pay, in my book.

Now that you've two made the switch, any exciting - fun travel plans? Let us know .. many of us live Europe vicariously thru you and Hans .. Please share ...

Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam

so hard to make these
    so hard to make these decisions out in the field yay Hans!