I have been counting, and I have a new record today....

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
As many of you know I work for a local credit union. Yesterday, was the first day in my new branch. I shaved my head Christmas afternoon, so I have been wearing hats and scarves to work....you know the big sign on your head that says "chemo girl here". Because we are short staffed right now I am spending some time as a teller (I'm normally the manager).

Yesterday I had four conversations with members about my cancer. Today was seven! We've been busy, but really folks! Come on, people are waiting in line behind you! I expected there would be lots of comments, and have done my best to prepare for them. No one has said anything worth reporting here...I'll let you know when there's something crazy.

And yes, I may try the wig again to see if it's as uncomfortable as I remember from the first go 'round.

Thanks for vent!

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Hopefully you won't have to teller too long
    Maybe you should actually keep count and when you get to your "goal" number buy yourself a TREAT!

1 particularly bad period at work I kept a tally of how many folks had a complaint...wasn't regarding our service, just not getting their way due to rules and regs we couldn't change, but they felt the need to share, I wish I had thought of a reward for myself when I reached my % goal, I could have had something good.

Keep smiling you GREAT lady,

Jennifer
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    grams2jc said:

Maybe you should actually keep count and when you get to your "goal" number buy yourself a TREAT!

1 particularly bad period at work I kept a tally of how many folks had a complaint...wasn't regarding our service, just not getting their way due to rules and regs we couldn't change, but they felt the need to share, I wish I had thought of a reward for myself when I reached my % goal, I could have had something good.

Jennifer

Vent all you want! Like
    Vent all you want! Like Jennifer said, hopefully you won't have to be a teller much longer and can do your managing job.

Good luck,

Diane
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Have you looked at the
    Have you looked at the 'wigs' that aren't really wigs (can't think of the right word for them)? They are sort of a skull cap with a bit of hair around the edges so you can wear them under scarves/hats and have bangs, side and back hair showing. I haven't tried them but did see in catalogs.

I am a very open person and am ready to talk/educate anytime but in the business world (IF I had a job), I would be short with answers (keep it the point not personal) if there were others behind the 'yackers', after a appropriate ammount of time I think I would look past them and say "Next please."

Susan
  • sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Rague said:

Have you looked at the
    Have you looked at the 'wigs' that aren't really wigs (can't think of the right word for them)? They are sort of a skull cap with a bit of hair around the edges so you can wear them under scarves/hats and have bangs, side and back hair showing. I haven't tried them but did see in catalogs.

I am a very open person and am ready to talk/educate anytime but in the business world (IF I had a job), I would be short with answers (keep it the point not personal) if there were others behind the 'yackers', after a appropriate ammount of time I think I would look past them and say "Next please."

Susan

I work in the medical field
    I work in the medical field and I get so tired of patients that whine about little problems. I feel like telling them to get over it, try having cancer! But, I can't, I just smile and do my job.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I like Jennifer's
    I like Jennifer's idea...maybe every 5 comments and you get a frozen yogurt loaded with toppings. Seriously, I know this can be hard. My well meaning family and friends have often steered cancer patients to me. Sometimes I don't mind and other times (when I am having anxiety about myself), well it can be overwhelming. My best advice would be to listen and share only if you want to and to change the subject if it is not your day to share.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I like Jennifer's
    I like Jennifer's idea...maybe every 5 comments and you get a frozen yogurt loaded with toppings. Seriously, I know this can be hard. My well meaning family and friends have often steered cancer patients to me. Sometimes I don't mind and other times (when I am having anxiety about myself), well it can be overwhelming. My best advice would be to listen and share only if you want to and to change the subject if it is not your day to share.

Maybe you could give out
    Maybe you could give out info cards in the interest in saving time and keeping the lines moving... LOL
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

I like Jennifer's

Well,
    I think when we're wearing our scarves and hats, everyone knows it isn't a fashion statement and it's difficult not to say something when you're face-to-face. I think what you need to do is plan and practice a response that you're comfortable with. ---- off isn't appropriate in the workplace! Come up with something else.

About wigs - I had a conversation with a wig-wearing friend today (this was right after our permanent make-up discussion). I was complaining about my new wig (my new blonde wig from Las Vegas!). She works and will not go to work without her wig. Anyway, she said what has made her most comfortable is to wear a headband (made for wigs)under the wig. She said it keeps the wig from slipping and is more comfortable than the cap thingies and makes her feel more secure than wearing nothing under the wig. She has the cutest wig that would look really good on you, Linda. Gala by Gabor.

If you go back to a wig, let me know. I'll go shopping with you!
    Suzanne
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Linda
    I have not personally gone through that type of thing. I did not have chemo so I did not loose my hair. If I were in your situation I would simply say that as much as you would like to talk about it you prefer not to do it when you are working. Maybe that way they would get the hint. I hope you are able to get back to your job and not have to be a teller for long.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    grams2jc said:

Jennifer

This needs a 'like' button!
    This needs a 'like' button! Thanks for the idea!

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Rague said:

Have you looked at the

Susan

I did say to 'next please'
    I did say to 'next please' to a couple of different people.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom

I like Jennifer's

I love frozen yogurt! I
    I love frozen yogurt! I usually load it up with fresh berries and nuts...yummm!!! I think for every 15 I should get that reward...that means I only have 2 more to go. If you're doing the math...4+7+2 more today (less time as a teller today).
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    ladyg said:

Linda
    I have not personally gone through that type of thing. I did not have chemo so I did not loose my hair. If I were in your situation I would simply say that as much as you would like to talk about it you prefer not to do it when you are working. Maybe that way they would get the hint. I hope you are able to get back to your job and not have to be a teller for long.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Georgia, I will remember
    Georgia, I will remember that on "those days"...great way to phrase it.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom

Well,
    I think when we're wearing our scarves and hats, everyone knows it isn't a fashion statement and it's difficult not to say something when you're face-to-face. I think what you need to do is plan and practice a response that you're comfortable with. ---- off isn't appropriate in the workplace! Come up with something else.

About wigs - I had a conversation with a wig-wearing friend today (this was right after our permanent make-up discussion). I was complaining about my new wig (my new blonde wig from Las Vegas!). She works and will not go to work without her wig. Anyway, she said what has made her most comfortable is to wear a headband (made for wigs)under the wig. She said it keeps the wig from slipping and is more comfortable than the cap thingies and makes her feel more secure than wearing nothing under the wig. She has the cutest wig that would look really good on you, Linda. Gala by Gabor.

If you go back to a wig, let me know. I'll go shopping with you!
    Suzanne

I think I'll try a headband,
    I think I'll try a headband, and see how that works. I do like the wig I have, it just gave me headaches. And I will look at the Gala...it has a good name, lol. And I would love to go shopping with you...we could go to the shoe store too!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    The Human Curiosity Gene
    Linda,

For some people it's like driving by an accident and having to look, some are just insensitive. Maybe you should tell them when they come up to the window "I'm a gypsy not a cancer patient" when you wear your scarf. That way they can't say anything! Well it's worth a try. I never had a problem with my wigs, do you just find them uncomfortable? Let us know when you get to 100!

Terry
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    mom62 said:

The Human Curiosity Gene
    Linda,

For some people it's like driving by an accident and having to look, some are just insensitive. Maybe you should tell them when they come up to the window "I'm a gypsy not a cancer patient" when you wear your scarf. That way they can't say anything! Well it's worth a try. I never had a problem with my wigs, do you just find them uncomfortable? Let us know when you get to 100!

Terry

To comment or not to comment
    This post came to mind today on my way to the gym. Can't wear a wig to exercise, so I always wear a jersey knit "scarf" when I go. It sort of looks like a do-rag and there is absolutely no visible hair. It is obviously not a fancy work-out look - it's a I don't have hair look. Anyway, it occurred to me that only one person has said a word to me about it and I've been doing this since May. I often have conversations with people and only one person has asked about the scarf thing.

Go figure.
    Suzanne