Flashing

AMomNETN
AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
Hey,
For those who have been through this some help. I've been on Tamoxifen for a year and a half. I continue to have horrible hot flashes. Does anyone have any suggestions? Christmas I was on the deck with sweat pouring off me. It is really getting old to say
the least. I expected hot flashes in the beginning but this far out I thought they'd be toning down some at least. Thanks

Janie

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I only had very mild (to me
    I only had very mild (to me I think mild compared to stories I hear) hot flashes...I have 18mths to go and none..but had total hysterectomy 7mths ago..I was told I would have them worse with ovaries taken out but I said take it all...only thing is some night sweats...I lucked out on this subject...

I hope someone can give you some pointers

Denise

I have 18mths to go on tamoxifen
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    I take Vitamin E and Evening
    I take Vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil supplements that really help on the advice of my breast surgeon. I have added Black Cohosh as well. I have heard that some estrogen positive breast cancer patients can't take that, but in my case, the doctors have said I can, given my particular circumstances.
    I have also heard that some women take the anti depressant, Effexor in low doses.

My ob-gyn that did my hysterectomy and oopherectomy told me that is pretty much the norm that most women get worse hot flashes at night/night sweats. So I take my pills so that they are heavier towards the evening, rather than scattered out throughout the day.

Although very uncomfortable, I would much rather put up with them during the day than night. At night, I would sweat so bad, uncover myself, then freeze, and continue this process,making for a restless night and poor sleep. I have been keeping the heat here in our home in Wisconsin this winter at 62,sometimes as low as 61 if I am busy doing things.

I hope you find some relief!
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167

I take Vitamin E and Evening
    I take Vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil supplements that really help on the advice of my breast surgeon. I have added Black Cohosh as well. I have heard that some estrogen positive breast cancer patients can't take that, but in my case, the doctors have said I can, given my particular circumstances.
    I have also heard that some women take the anti depressant, Effexor in low doses.

My ob-gyn that did my hysterectomy and oopherectomy told me that is pretty much the norm that most women get worse hot flashes at night/night sweats. So I take my pills so that they are heavier towards the evening, rather than scattered out throughout the day.

Although very uncomfortable, I would much rather put up with them during the day than night. At night, I would sweat so bad, uncover myself, then freeze, and continue this process,making for a restless night and poor sleep. I have been keeping the heat here in our home in Wisconsin this winter at 62,sometimes as low as 61 if I am busy doing things.

I hope you find some relief!

I have been on tamoxifen
    I have been on tamoxifen only 3 months. Got hot flashes 2 months in. They have become less intense. I find that taking my pill around 7 pm is the best. This gives me the brunt of hf before bedtime. Don't know if this helps :( I had really bad hf on chemo so I feel your pain.

Eva
  • Minka
    Minka Member Posts: 29
    Fans and low house temps...
    work for me. My hot flashes are weird. I don't sweat, I radiate heat outward. My daughter in law is a nurse and I had her hold her hand above mine a couple days ago during a 'flash' and she said she'd never felt anything like it. That was on Arimidex. Onco switched me to Tamoxifen today so we'll see what's next. I keep the house temp low at night and have two fans going on me. I'd rather have to cover up and cuddle than be too hot, and I've been told people in general sleep better when the air is cool. Wearing 100% cotton helps too as it breathes better than synthetic materials. I layer my clothes which is kinda fun. My colleagues never know what I'm coming out of my office in....sweater on, sweater off, red face, not red face....gives them something to keep them entertained. :D
    Minka
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Minka said:

Fans and low house temps...
    work for me. My hot flashes are weird. I don't sweat, I radiate heat outward. My daughter in law is a nurse and I had her hold her hand above mine a couple days ago during a 'flash' and she said she'd never felt anything like it. That was on Arimidex. Onco switched me to Tamoxifen today so we'll see what's next. I keep the house temp low at night and have two fans going on me. I'd rather have to cover up and cuddle than be too hot, and I've been told people in general sleep better when the air is cool. Wearing 100% cotton helps too as it breathes better than synthetic materials. I layer my clothes which is kinda fun. My colleagues never know what I'm coming out of my office in....sweater on, sweater off, red face, not red face....gives them something to keep them entertained. :D
    Minka

Highly recommend you talk to your gynecologist
    Janie,

While I love my oncologist, I have to say, he don't know jack about hot flashes. A gynecologist, on the other hand, treats women with hot flashes every day, and mine certainly knows much more about them. She's been much more of a help to me with this than my oncologist.

She (with my oncologist's blessing) suggested Vitamin E -- I take 400 IU (the standard drugstore pill) twice a day, and that's really helped me -- I know it doesn't work for everyone. My hot flashes are definitely worse at night, so taking Tamoxifen in the morning rather than the evening has also definitely helped.

If I decide in the future that I need more, according to my gynecologist, the next step would be a low dose of the antidepressant Effexor, which helps a lot of women with their hot flashes....she's also had some success with the anti-seizure medication Gabapentin.

Definitely talk with your gynecologist -- get a 2nd opinion, if you have to, but don't let them tell you you just have to suffer with hot flashes for 5 years!

Traci
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    TraciInLA said:

Janie,

While I love my oncologist, I have to say, he don't know jack about hot flashes. A gynecologist, on the other hand, treats women with hot flashes every day, and mine certainly knows much more about them. She's been much more of a help to me with this than my oncologist.

She (with my oncologist's blessing) suggested Vitamin E -- I take 400 IU (the standard drugstore pill) twice a day, and that's really helped me -- I know it doesn't work for everyone. My hot flashes are definitely worse at night, so taking Tamoxifen in the morning rather than the evening has also definitely helped.

If I decide in the future that I need more, according to my gynecologist, the next step would be a low dose of the antidepressant Effexor, which helps a lot of women with their hot flashes....she's also had some success with the anti-seizure medication Gabapentin.

Definitely talk with your gynecologist -- get a 2nd opinion, if you have to, but don't let them tell you you just have to suffer with hot flashes for 5 years!

Traci

Like Traci said, I would
    Like Traci said, I would suggest talking to your gyno too. He or she knows more about hot flashes and what might be available to treat them.

Let us know and good luck!
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Megan M said:

Like Traci said, I would
    Like Traci said, I would suggest talking to your gyno too. He or she knows more about hot flashes and what might be available to treat them.

Let us know and good luck!

Thank You
    Thank you for all your insights. Minka you sound just like me. I'll have a sweater on one minute and off the next. I also radiate out with mine. Thank you again

Janie
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Janie,

Traci

Traci, I have been on
    Traci, I have been on gabapentin for post mastectomy pain syndrome for almost a year now. My current dose is 2100 mg a day. I take Vitamin E, Evening Primrose Oil, and have just added Black Cohosh recently. I can't imagine how bad my hot flashes would be without any of that. Just be prepared because gabapentin can make me very tired and loopy. Not sure about lower doses, though. I have never been under 800 or 900 mg.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Traci, I have been on
    Traci, I have been on gabapentin for post mastectomy pain syndrome for almost a year now. My current dose is 2100 mg a day. I take Vitamin E, Evening Primrose Oil, and have just added Black Cohosh recently. I can't imagine how bad my hot flashes would be without any of that. Just be prepared because gabapentin can make me very tired and loopy. Not sure about lower doses, though. I have never been under 800 or 900 mg.

I cant take neurontin it
    I cant take neurontin it makes me very depressed. My hot flashes have been getting better. Although I cant wear heavy clothes or my flannel nighties. The above ideas are excellent. I have to say i am dissapointed I thought this might me a racy thread about flashers LOL
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Janie,
    The effexor helped me

Janie,
    The effexor helped me right away. It cut them down to almost nothing. Just make sure if they put you on it you aren't on any other anti depressant because you can get really bad side effects. I was on imatriptoline and I was sweating like a pig. took me off them and I am back to new normal.

angela
  • Nana C.
    Nana C. Member Posts: 108
    Effexor
    Effexor was a life savior for me. Hot flashes had sweat pour out, the medicine slowed it down to almost nothing really fast.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Nana
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Flashing
    Totally the same as you. Very bad during the day and worse at night. Was offered Exeffor but was happy taking Cymbalta and had enough going on. So as things haven't improved I'm seeing oncol next week and I'm going to ask for Exeffor as so many ladies say it worked well. Otherwise, I have a wonderful ceiling fan in our bedroom we put in, in desperation. Best thing ever did. Dress in layers, mainly cotton. Cant even stand a necklace on sometimes. Bought two pretty little fans from World Market for when I am out in the day, it gives instant relief. I will post if the new drug helps me as it may help you too.