Reconstructive surgery

MKL
MKL Member Posts: 2
I had breast cancer in 1994 and had a mastectomy on the right side with no reconstruction. I have now been diagnosed with breast cancer again in the left breast. I am wondering what the pros and cons are to reconstructive surgery? I want to have it, but am kind of scared. I would appreciate any feed back from anyone that has and has not had reconstructive surgery.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    A lot depends on the type.
    A lot depends on the type. If you're IBC - the it will be a year before recon is an option according to my surgeon, chemo and rads Drs. Different types (and different Drs) are different.

Susan
  • MKL
    MKL Member Posts: 2
    Rague said:

A lot depends on the type.
    A lot depends on the type. If you're IBC - the it will be a year before recon is an option according to my surgeon, chemo and rads Drs. Different types (and different Drs) are different.

Susan

Thank you.

Thank you.
  • leoyp60881
    leoyp60881 Member Posts: 4
    bmx with reconstruction
    I had a bmx in September, with tissue expanders put in for the reconstruction. I'm still on the road to completion. I will most likely have my full reconstruction surgery done in the summer. I'm glad I did it, but it's a weird feeling. i'm pretty numb around my chest and the expanders feel like bricks inside or at least they just feel really hard to touch. When the surgeon puts in a fill every other week, i can't feel it. It's kind of lumpy to look at, but in the end they will put in the implants and construct a nipple mound in the middle. Once you are over the general healing from the surgery, I don't feel any pain -- just a little numbness that is livable. My surgeon says that as they expand further, i may feel pain from the tissue actually expanding, but I haven't felt it so far after 6 or 7 fill adjustments.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    MKL said:

Thank you.

Thank you.

I had a lumpectomy MKL, but,
    I had a lumpectomy MKL, but, I wanted to bump this up so other pink sisters could comment for you.

Good luck,

Megan