On the Other side

madsters1
madsters1 Member Posts: 120
So here I am mid way through my treatments. Just finished my third chemo out of four, then port removal, radiation and five years of hormone therapy. Other than the hormone therapy, I'd like to hear from any you veterans that are on the "other side" of cancer treatment. Do you just walk away and shake this horrible thing off? I know reocccurence is always a possibility and thoughts of it creep in from time to time. I guess my question is, does life return to something resembling normal? I don't want to live as a cancer patient or former cancer patient. I just want to go on. Ya know? Is that realistic?

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had it much easier then
    I had it much easier then you-I had lumpectomy, radiation then due to side effects of tamoxifen total Hysterectomy. For me my life is totally back to what is was...but like I said I did not go through as much as you. MINE was found very early & I am just thankful I am nutty about making and keeping all appt with gyno, gastro etc..(I also have ulcertive colitis for 19yrs)

NOT that I dont' think of BC frequently...such as this month is 4 yrs since it all started. MY email address is disneyfan2008 (the year if all started and I treated myself to trip do Disney with friend when radiation was done-that got me through it knowing fun at the end)

Each Aug I think one more year down or one less year to go on tamoxifen..

so it never goes away but my life is pretty much back to pre BC...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    until I came to this
    until I came to this board...I never knew or thought I was a cancer survivor. A friend had melanoma..she had surgery and said I AM A suvivor, until then I used to and still say I AHD cancer. That is how I found this site to ask in fact what I was/ am! hehe lol

I did not find this site until about 2 yrs after the fact I THINk..and now check in daily..

Denise
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Take a look at this
    Take a look at this post...

Do all of you think about a recurrence sometimes to where you get afraid of every little pain you might feel?

There are some very thoughtful, wise answers that might help you. And personally, I think that you do get to "just go on". But like any other major event in life (marriage, buying a house, kids, etc.) you "just go on" a little differently than before.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Take a look at this
    Take a look at this post...

Do all of you think about a recurrence sometimes to where you get afraid of every little pain you might feel?

There are some very thoughtful, wise answers that might help you. And personally, I think that you do get to "just go on". But like any other major event in life (marriage, buying a house, kids, etc.) you "just go on" a little differently than before.

Hugs,

Linda

I don't know if we ever can
    I don't know if we ever can completely relax, but, I do believe it will get better the further we are from diagnosis and treatment.

Hugs, Angie