Hair...glorious hair :)

madsters1
madsters1 Member Posts: 120
So anyone care to share their "new hair" experiences. How long did it take to start to grow back? I'm still in chemo and between the 2nd and 3rd, I got a little bit of stubble. Didn't lose all of it to begin with, but just about. How much did it grow each month? Do most people get gray hair? And how curly are we talkin'? Mine was very straight before I lost it. I miss my hair. :(

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    hair
    Good topic.

Sorry you have to go through this. Hair is so important to us ladies. But for me, it was a bit different. when I was put against the ring to fight the beast, I didn't care. As a matter of fact, I didn't wash my hair for months from the second i was first dx (nasty, I know). I had already imagined being with no hair. Then I went and shaved it. It was down to my waist (at 32). I lost most of it after 2nd chemo - in patches. Then it all went after chemo 4.

I loved being with no hair in a way - crazy i know - no salon, no shampoo, no styling, nada! So this part I enjoyed.

After my third taxol, I started to see it was growing back, very slowly. Gray. Right now it's a little over one inch, and I finished chemo on July 7th. I'm still wearing my wig because of work. It is annoying because wig doesn't fit anymore. I just colored hair yesterday, for the first time (black). My hair is curly and out of control! It was wavy before all of this started developing.

After the fight, I am starting to wonder how long my hair will grow before I expose it to the public. I guess what really bothers me is having people stop to ask me, "where is your hair?!?!?!" - already happened once. And I am not ready to talk about my cancer to everyone yet. This is why I wish my hair was long enough...it takes time, but it comes back full and wild.

:)
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    I look forward to my first hair cut and color
    I finished my last chemo the first week in June. I didn't lose all my hair during the first four chemo treatments. It was the second half of my last four that I lost it all.

My hair is now 2 3/4 inches long. I have my husband measure it every couple weeks (ha ha). I still wear my wig (as I have told very few that I had cancer). People think it is my real hair and give me compliments on it all the time (imagine that?)

Losing my hair was EXTREMELY upsetting to me. I so dislike wearing a wig and look forward to my first hair cut and color.

My hair was soft and wavy, dark blonde and shoulder length. It grew back coarse, somewhat wavy and almost all grey.

Best of luck to you.

Betsy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    I didn't have chemo
    I didn't have chemo madsters, so, I didn't lose my hair. It looks like you've already got some great replies from the pink sisters that have.

I will be crossing my fingers that your hair will come back quickly for you! You are beautiful with or without hair! Remember that!

Hugs, Diane
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    I finished chemo on July
    I finished chemo on July 7th. I had shaved my head before it fell out. I had some fuzz for most of the chemo. After the last chemo, it was mostly gone. My eyelashes didn't completely fall out until after chemo. They grew back quickly .
    My hair started coming back a couple weeks after chemo. It is a little wavy but not curly. It is much darker than I expected. I had highlighted my hair for years, so wasn't sure what color it would be. I felt comfortable going without a hat Mid December. I went for my first hair cut. She just trimmed it up a little and even managed to put a couple strands of foil in to highlight some. It has grown since the hair cut and I will probably go in a couple more weeks to have the side burns and back trimmed up.
    I am finally starting to get bangs. I looked in the mirror the other day and thought I looked "normal". Not quite my old self yet, but normal. It was a good feeling.
    Be patient, it will come back. I never thought I would be so happy to have a bad hair day or have the wind mess my hair up. I am just so happy to have hair to mess up.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Cinkal said:

I finished chemo on July
    I finished chemo on July 7th. I had shaved my head before it fell out. I had some fuzz for most of the chemo. After the last chemo, it was mostly gone. My eyelashes didn't completely fall out until after chemo. They grew back quickly .
    My hair started coming back a couple weeks after chemo. It is a little wavy but not curly. It is much darker than I expected. I had highlighted my hair for years, so wasn't sure what color it would be. I felt comfortable going without a hat Mid December. I went for my first hair cut. She just trimmed it up a little and even managed to put a couple strands of foil in to highlight some. It has grown since the hair cut and I will probably go in a couple more weeks to have the side burns and back trimmed up.
    I am finally starting to get bangs. I looked in the mirror the other day and thought I looked "normal". Not quite my old self yet, but normal. It was a good feeling.
    Be patient, it will come back. I never thought I would be so happy to have a bad hair day or have the wind mess my hair up. I am just so happy to have hair to mess up.

Cinkal, I love what you
    Cinkal, I love what you wrote about looking normal. You will be your old self again, perhaps a different version, but, a stronger and more beautiful one!