Question for those with bialteral mastectomy with no reconstruction

cinnamonsmile
cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
edited January 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
It has been ten days shy of a year from my bmx w/no reconstruction. I heard a comment that women (and men) who have mastectomies loose all feeling in their chest. I thought that only went for those that got reconstruction. I have lots of feelings coming back. Anyone else out there have feelings back in your chest area (other than pmps, the nerve regeneration, shocks, etc).
Thanks

Comments

• lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    time
    it took time, but most areas have feeling again.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Same here...
    Over time, I have gotten some feeling back, most often it's pain that is the most easily felt. There is still some numbness in areas also.
    I had mastectomy on the right in 2008, and on the left 6 months ago.

CR
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Yes, I have feeling coming
    Yes, I have feeling coming back. My armpit is the least sensitive still but seems to be coming back. I get little stabs of pang now and then for no apparent reason. I had bilateral mastectomy in march.

Cindy
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    I had my bilateral
    I had my bilateral mastectomy w/no reconstruction in July of 2010 and have always had feeling in my chest,i had never heard that before. Frankie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    lizzie17 said:

time
    it took time, but most areas have feeling again.

I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer your question from personal experience, but, a friend of mine that had a mastectomy years ago has told me that she did regain feeling again.

Hugs, Diane
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

I had my bilateral
    I had my bilateral mastectomy w/no reconstruction in July of 2010 and have always had feeling in my chest,i had never heard that before. Frankie

3&1/2 later still feel pain by the end of the day
    Are you asking about sensations . For those who did not have radiation, there better chances to feel what is left. radiated skin does not behaves as normal.
    The great news if you that you do not have a " missing" part feelings
    Hugs
  • fraser
    fraser Member Posts: 4
    bmx with no reconstruction
    I had bilat mx in 2004, and have had no reconstruction. Although some skin sensation has come back, for the most part things are still somewhat numb, at least on the side that got the very radical mx. . . If you study the anatomy of the breast, and the process of mastectomy, it becomes apparent that having or not having reconstruction isn't going to make much difference in overall sensation. The central nerves that served the breast previously, particularly the nipple, are gone, and, to the best of my knowledge, don't regenerate. If you want breast reconstruction for asthetic reasons, don't let concern over sensation hinder you. Reconstruction is not an easy process for some, possibly depending on how radical your mx was, and if tissue sparing was done. . . . but this is a good forum to ask women if they would do it over again. Some would, some wouldn't, but only you can decide for yourself. If I could have done it, I would have, as I was only 42 when I had the bmx. Because cancer recurred in my skin, no one will touch reconstruction for me, and, at this point, I'm used to the "athletic" look!
  • leoyp60881
    leoyp60881 Member Posts: 4
    bmx with reconstruction
    I had a bmx in September of this year with reconstruction. I am hoping to get feeling back in my chest. Right now i have a lot of numbness around my sides and under my left arm. I do have some feeling right between the breasts -- it's pretty sensitive there. I have tissue expanders in right now and they feel like bricks in my chest. It's all numb so far.