OT - Your Traditional New Years Meal

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
So many different areas and heritages have different traditional New Years meals so thought it might be fun to share.

Me - I'm Southern (native Floridian). We have Black-eyed peas with Hog Jowls (well it's impossible to find here {SD} so make do with Ham Hocks), collard greens and corn bread.

Susan

Comments

• GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    Here in central PA, it's
    Here in central PA, it's pork and sauerkraut. Just finished ours, Happy New Year!!!
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    whatever you do
    Don't eat chicken.. HA HA. Hi you're post caught my eye. I'm here in Ohio (though originally from PA) and we do pork and sauerkraut every NY day. One year, when first married, I made chicken on NY day , didn't have any pork and the budget was pretty tight back then. I remember my mom screaming into the phone, "Chicken, oh my goodness, you'll be digging for money all year round" something about chickens scratch backwards and pigs root forward ... anyhow, hope you didn't have chicken today.
    Happy New Year!!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

whatever you do
    Don't eat chicken.. HA HA. Hi you're post caught my eye. I'm here in Ohio (though originally from PA) and we do pork and sauerkraut every NY day. One year, when first married, I made chicken on NY day , didn't have any pork and the budget was pretty tight back then. I remember my mom screaming into the phone, "Chicken, oh my goodness, you'll be digging for money all year round" something about chickens scratch backwards and pigs root forward ... anyhow, hope you didn't have chicken today.
    Happy New Year!!

It was pork
    It was pork,sauerkraut,mashed potatoes,cornbread and my favorite dessert suger cream pie.

Lynn Smith
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    We had corn beef, cabbage
    We had corn beef, cabbage and black eyed peas-all guaranteed to bring wealth and luck (or something like that) . Anyway it's traditional here. Still waiting for the wealth ;-)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

We had corn beef, cabbage
    We had corn beef, cabbage and black eyed peas-all guaranteed to bring wealth and luck (or something like that) . Anyway it's traditional here. Still waiting for the wealth ;-)

Blackeyed peas...with a twist
    I'm in Southern California, but my grandmother was from Nebraska, and insisted that we eat blackeyed peas every New Year's.

This year, I'm sure my grandmother is rolling around in her grave, because we sure didn't do them the way she used to: We got the cookbook The Indian Slow Cooker for Christmas (we love Indian food, and we love us our Crock-Pot!), so I made a blackeyed pea recipe from the book -- with tomatoes, ginger, chiles, Indian spices, and coconut milk. Everyone loved it!

To buck tradition even more: Our garden is exploding with lettuce right now, so I made homemade Indian raita, and used it as a dressing for the salad. Somebody's Indian grandmother somewhere is probably rolling around in her grave, too!

:-) Traci
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    GMcD said:

Here in central PA, it's
    Here in central PA, it's pork and sauerkraut. Just finished ours, Happy New Year!!!

My mom was from Pittsburg...
    ...and so we, too, even though I grew up in California, always have pork and cabbage (sometimes sauerkraut, sometimes coleslaw...).

Happy new year to all!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Thank you, Susan! What a great thread!!!!!
    The dutch tradition for new year usually starts the night before, New Year's Eve. We start eating nibbles of things (appetizers) right after dinner, and munch the night away until midnight.

At midnight, we spend at least 30 minutes lighting major fireworks...no 'safe and sane' for the dutch *smile*. Then, back in the house for big platters of cold fishes and cheeses and meats...mmmmm...and bread to eat it with. Also a very small (size of a quarter) boiled shrimp that is hard to shell, but VERY yummy!!! And, Champagne, of course!

The next day, new year's itself, is Oliebollen (fritters) and Apelflappen (Apple slices dipped in batter and deep fried). Both are covered with a generous topping of powdered sugar. (No calorie counting allowed!)

Hugs, Kathi
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    East TN
    Here we have black-eyed peas, collard greens, and hog jowl(fried and a little in peas) I usually have other foods with these as sides. I make everyone here eat them. They were complaining and I told them that since our oldest got married and they don't do this their luck hasn't been the best. LOLOL That started in 2010, lost job, lost car, twins sick, wife lost her job, and this past week was awful. One twin had femoral seizure, other twin sick, son has kidney stone (which hasn't passed), wife has stones in her tonsils. So I'm not taking any chances. Luck hasn't been the best but better than theirs.

Janie
  • serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    AMomNETN said:

East TN
    Here we have black-eyed peas, collard greens, and hog jowl(fried and a little in peas) I usually have other foods with these as sides. I make everyone here eat them. They were complaining and I told them that since our oldest got married and they don't do this their luck hasn't been the best. LOLOL That started in 2010, lost job, lost car, twins sick, wife lost her job, and this past week was awful. One twin had femoral seizure, other twin sick, son has kidney stone (which hasn't passed), wife has stones in her tonsils. So I'm not taking any chances. Luck hasn't been the best but better than theirs.

Janie

lol....I always have to
    lol....I always have to work, so it will be something hot from the deli.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member

lol....I always have to
    lol....I always have to work, so it will be something hot from the deli.

Black Eyed Peas & Collard Greens
    I'm in Florida and we follow the Southern Tradition. We enjoyed a nice dinner of Pork, Black Eyed Peas, Collard Greens, Corn Bread and Potatoes Au Gratin. I'm still stuffed!!
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Pork and sauerkraut
    Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, (Lancaster, PA), it would be a crime against nature if anyone ate anything other than pork and sauerkraut!!! Happy New Year's, everybody! Here's to a new year full of health and happiness.
    Hugs,
    Linda
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    linpsu said:

Pork and sauerkraut
    Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, (Lancaster, PA), it would be a crime against nature if anyone ate anything other than pork and sauerkraut!!! Happy New Year's, everybody! Here's to a new year full of health and happiness.
    Hugs,
    Linda

I had no idea there were traditions
    Maybe I had a strange upbringing but I never remember a New Year's Day traditional meal. Just things like heavy appetizers/snacks while watching football. You know, good grease!

Anyone else born in California know of a California tradition? I feel so out of it.

Suzanne
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

I had no idea there were traditions
    Maybe I had a strange upbringing but I never remember a New Year's Day traditional meal. Just things like heavy appetizers/snacks while watching football. You know, good grease!

Anyone else born in California know of a California tradition? I feel so out of it.

Suzanne

This is from a Wikipedia
    This is from a Wikipedia under black eyed peas:

"The (Southern) traditional meal also features collard, turnip, or mustard greens, and ham. The peas, since they swell when cooked, symbolize prosperity; the greens symbolize money; the pork, because pigs root forward when foraging, represents positive motion.[6] Cornbread also often accompanies this meal."

Having grown up in N.O., I just figured everyone ate this junk on NY's Day. LOL!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    KathiM said:

Thank you, Susan! What a great thread!!!!!
    The dutch tradition for new year usually starts the night before, New Year's Eve. We start eating nibbles of things (appetizers) right after dinner, and munch the night away until midnight.

At midnight, we spend at least 30 minutes lighting major fireworks...no 'safe and sane' for the dutch *smile*. Then, back in the house for big platters of cold fishes and cheeses and meats...mmmmm...and bread to eat it with. Also a very small (size of a quarter) boiled shrimp that is hard to shell, but VERY yummy!!! And, Champagne, of course!

The next day, new year's itself, is Oliebollen (fritters) and Apelflappen (Apple slices dipped in batter and deep fried). Both are covered with a generous topping of powdered sugar. (No calorie counting allowed!)

Hugs, Kathi

Soup beans and cornbread!

Soup beans and cornbread!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Hopping John
    I looked up several recipes for this to make for work. It is black eyed peas, rice, ham, and various vegetables. I will make a whole slew of stuff for work every so often and then either freeze it or home can it. Hopping John is supposed to give you good luck in the new year.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

Hopping John
    I looked up several recipes for this to make for work. It is black eyed peas, rice, ham, and various vegetables. I will make a whole slew of stuff for work every so often and then either freeze it or home can it. Hopping John is supposed to give you good luck in the new year.

Hoppin' John
    Never knew anyone who did Hoppin' John for News Years. The "South" is so diverse though. Don't remember the reason but there was one for not using rice with the black eyes. They were to give you sight into the future. Some of Mom's family made a Crab Perlou (crab, rice, tomato, bell pepper, garlic, onions, fille are what I remember went in it) for New Years but they were in/from NW Fl (Pensacola/Escambia) not SW Fl.

I do make Hoppins John other times in the year.

Susan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    linpsu said:

Pork and sauerkraut
    Hugs,
    Linda

We eat lots of snacks like
    We eat lots of snacks like shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers and watch football!