Help needed for my mum

ziedins
ziedins Member Posts: 2
Hello everyone. I am writing on behalf of my mother. In 1994 she was diagnosed with breast cancer, mammary glad was removed and she undergoing loads of treatments. 11 years later her left hand started to go numb and at the moment it's not working at all. Non of the doctors she's seen can't help.
I know it's a long shot but was wondering if anyone had similar problem and how they dealt with it.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Take..
    Take your mom to a neurologist....this doesn't sound like it's related to breast. cancer...

Good luck...
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Yes, see a neurologist
    I agree that she needs to see a neurologist. There is a very long list of possible conditions that cause numbness of the hand(s):

"Possible causes of numbness in one or both of your hands include:
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Alcoholism
    Amyloidosis (when substances called amyloid proteins build up in your organs)
    Brachial plexus injury (an injury to the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm and hand)
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Cervical spondylosis (age-related wear and tear affecting the disks in your neck)
    Type 2 diabetes
    Ganglion cysts (noncancerous fluid-filled lumps that most commonly develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists or hands)
    Guillain-Barre syndrome (an uncommon disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves)
    HIV/AIDS
    Lyme disease (a tick-borne illness)
    Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system (a group of rare disorders that develop in some people with cancer)
    Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage that often causes numbness and pain in your hands and feet)
    Raynaud's disease (a condition that causes some areas of your body to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress)
    Side effects of chemotherapy drugs
    Sjogren's syndrome (an autoimmune disease that causes dry eyes and dry mouth)
    Spinal cord injury
    Stroke
    Syphilis
    Syringomyelia (the development of a fluid-filled cyst, or syrinx, within your spinal cord)
    Ulnar nerve compression
    Vasculitis (an inflammation of your blood vessels)
    Vitamin B-12 deficiency"
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/numbness-in-hands/MY00509
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Yes you need to take her to
    Yes you need to take her to a Neurologist i agree i don,t think its related to Breast Cancer ether.Frankie
  • ziedins
    ziedins Member Posts: 2

Yes, see a neurologist
    I agree that she needs to see a neurologist. There is a very long list of possible conditions that cause numbness of the hand(s):

"Possible causes of numbness in one or both of your hands include:
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Alcoholism
    Amyloidosis (when substances called amyloid proteins build up in your organs)
    Brachial plexus injury (an injury to the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm and hand)
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Cervical spondylosis (age-related wear and tear affecting the disks in your neck)
    Type 2 diabetes
    Ganglion cysts (noncancerous fluid-filled lumps that most commonly develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists or hands)
    Guillain-Barre syndrome (an uncommon disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves)
    HIV/AIDS
    Lyme disease (a tick-borne illness)
    Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system (a group of rare disorders that develop in some people with cancer)
    Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage that often causes numbness and pain in your hands and feet)
    Raynaud's disease (a condition that causes some areas of your body to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress)
    Side effects of chemotherapy drugs
    Sjogren's syndrome (an autoimmune disease that causes dry eyes and dry mouth)
    Spinal cord injury
    Stroke
    Syphilis
    Syringomyelia (the development of a fluid-filled cyst, or syrinx, within your spinal cord)
    Ulnar nerve compression
    Vasculitis (an inflammation of your blood vessels)
    Vitamin B-12 deficiency"
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/numbness-in-hands/MY00509

Thank you for your
    Thank you for your suggestions. She's been to neurologist and they can't seem to do anything. There's some swelling in her shoulder and there's also has been a spinal cord injury, so doctors say its very hard to pin point how to deal with the problem but we're gonna try. Thank you and Happy New Year