What's next?

I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma on December 14 2011. I had lumpectomy and only one Lymph node removed on December 29, 2011. BEST possible outcome! BUT... This is all sooo new and my head and heart are in a fog. I meet with my Surgeon on 1/6/12 to get final path results and set up Radiation treatments.
I find myself going between Happy and Tears in a matter of minutes.
I feel so Alone at times going through this... I am divorced, my child is in College, but have a GREAT family and friends around me. For the most part I have a Very POSITIVE attitude! Just some moments, it scares me. Just wondering, what's next?

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Keep Going
    I can relate to the emotional roller coaster you mentioned. It is very normal and human to have such extreme emotions going on. Cancer is very scary and the unknown and many what if's that creep into ones thoughts make it difficult to stay focused and remain positive at times. I am happy to hear you have a wonderful support team made up of family and friends. Having support will help you get through this period of your life. Take it one step at a time, keep your eye on the goal: RECOVERY!

Best of luck with your recovery. I am 2 1/2 years out and am moving FORWARD!

Take care, God bless.
    Ines
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

Keep Going
    I can relate to the emotional roller coaster you mentioned. It is very normal and human to have such extreme emotions going on. Cancer is very scary and the unknown and many what if's that creep into ones thoughts make it difficult to stay focused and remain positive at times. I am happy to hear you have a wonderful support team made up of family and friends. Having support will help you get through this period of your life. Take it one step at a time, keep your eye on the goal: RECOVERY!

Best of luck with your recovery. I am 2 1/2 years out and am moving FORWARD!

Take care, God bless.
    Ines

Same diagnosis but almost 3 years out.
    I understand completely! No matter who we have in our lives, this is our own journey and it is a scary one at times. I found a support group was a big help for me. Most hospitals have one. We go from bad news to good news but none of it is really good because there's nothing good about cancer. Some of us have trouble when the treatments stop because there is nothing else to do. The fighting is over and now what. For me my life is better than ever now. I am more assertive and make myself a priority. Stay the course and you will get a new normal life. I'm glad your cancer was found early.

Roseann
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Dear Krissy,

It is an awful roller coaster ride. I had both invasive lobular and ductal when I was diagnose 17 years ago. I have had some bumps along the way. The important thing is that I am still here to write about them.

Your path report will be the guide to what is next. It depends a lot on your age, on whether you are ER, PR or HER2 positive or what is known as triple negative. The positive allows you to have hormonal therapy or Herceptin. Treatment is no picnic but doable.

Wishing you a good journey and keep us posted.

Best,

Doris
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Infiltrating Lobular
    Hi, I had the same but bilateral surgery with chemo and no radiation. As the other ladies say, its a roller coaster. You come through the first part and getting ready for second round. Good luck with the radiation and keep posting, it will help you to talk especially when you are alone at home,so you have us and your family and friends. I am one year down the line and mostly feel very well.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    roseann4 said:

I understand completely! No matter who we have in our lives, this is our own journey and it is a scary one at times. I found a support group was a big help for me. Most hospitals have one. We go from bad news to good news but none of it is really good because there's nothing good about cancer. Some of us have trouble when the treatments stop because there is nothing else to do. The fighting is over and now what. For me my life is better than ever now. I am more assertive and make myself a priority. Stay the course and you will get a new normal life. I'm glad your cancer was found early.

Roseann

Try to just take it one step
    Try to just take it one step at a time and focus on taking care of yourself. If anyone offers help to you, please take it. And allow yourself times to cry and to feel overwhelmed. We have all been there and we understand.

We are here to support you!

Hugs, Debby
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    roseann4 said:

Roseann

Try to just take it one step
    Try to just take it one step at a time and focus on taking care of yourself. If anyone offers help to you, please take it. And allow yourself times to cry and to feel overwhelmed. We have all been there and we understand.

We are here to support you!

Hugs, Debby
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    even of us who are very
    even of us who are very postitive it's hard to stay that way...at one point my husband said to me YOU NEED TO be more positive!! OMG i wanted to strangle him..I don't think I complained much-always went in to each appt thinking NOTHING real bad I can do this..

so needless to say it gets the best of us...try using journal..

helped me..

Denise
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Hi Krissypooh, If I've
    Hi Krissypooh, If I've learned anything about cancer, which I knew little before my diagnosis Aug.2011, it is that it is an emotional disease. I FREAKED out! Not at being diagnosed but at what they planned to do TO me. I know it's really FOR me, but when you're being inundated with invasive procedures, it's overwhelming.
    Give yourself permission to have your moments. This is scary stuff and to most of us, very unfamiliar territory. It's your journey and no one can walk it FOR you,only WITH you. And really only One truly understands you and how you're feeling..Jesus Christ. "He'll never leave you nor forsake you."
    Try not to dwell on it all so much and try to take just one day (sometimes moment) at a time. God bless you. Vicky (madsters)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Infiltrating Lobular
    Hi, I had the same but bilateral surgery with chemo and no radiation. As the other ladies say, its a roller coaster. You come through the first part and getting ready for second round. Good luck with the radiation and keep posting, it will help you to talk especially when you are alone at home,so you have us and your family and friends. I am one year down the line and mostly feel very well.

I would like to welcome you
    I would like to welcome you to the club that no one wants to join. But, you've got all of us now to support and encourage you in whatever way that we can.

Good luck to you,

Angie