Arimidex & pain...

Minka
Minka Member Posts: 29
Hi all. I've been on Arimidex since August of '11. I started it at the insistance of my family who want me to take every avenue possible so I don't have a recurrence of my cancers (I had two types in one breast and had the breast removed). I had an OncotypeDX score of 0. I'm miserable. I ache all the time all over and nothing seems to relieve it. I want to talk to the doctor, but I'm afraid he'll take me off and my family will get upset. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the pain? The side effects are getting worse instead of better.

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    When are you taking it?
    I found that if I take it before bed, I have less pain during my waking hours Yale just completed a study that showed that the side effects were reduced by moderate exercise like brisk walking for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. It is called The Hope Study. I tried it and my symptoms significantly improved. Walking also helps bone density which is a silent side effect of Arimidex.

My oncologist said that if Arimidex was too painful, she would put me on Tamoxifin. I would definitely discuss with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Roseann
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    roseann4 said:

When are you taking it?
    I found that if I take it before bed, I have less pain during my waking hours Yale just completed a study that showed that the side effects were reduced by moderate exercise like brisk walking for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. It is called The Hope Study. I tried it and my symptoms significantly improved. Walking also helps bone density which is a silent side effect of Arimidex.

My oncologist said that if Arimidex was too painful, she would put me on Tamoxifin. I would definitely discuss with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Roseann

Hi Minka please talk to your doctor
    Please talk to your doctor. make sure that you are taking Vitamin D3 and calcium. They both are critical when taking Arimidex. You also need to walk 30 min 2 - 3 times a week to combat pain. There are medication, so your doctor can change your medication to another drug, Tamoxifen.
    Quality of life is very important to me and my doctor listens to me and offers a compromised solutions.

I was on Arimidex for 4 months and was switched to other medication.
    Hugs and let us know about your doctor's recommendations
    New Flower
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I was on Arimidex for 9
    I was on Arimidex for 9 months and the pain got worse and worse for me. I did try exercising and it didn't help me. I was in to much pain. So the Dr put me on Famera. that was better for pain but I had Insomnia from it. So then changes to Aromasin. And the pain in knees got unbearable. Now I am on Tamoxifen. And so far so good. Still have a little pain but it is manageable. I am back to exercising!!
    Keep talking to your Dr, Meds can be changed. Until You find what works best for you. You don't have to live in pain. Good luck and Take care Kay
  • Minka
    Minka Member Posts: 29

I was on Arimidex for 9
    I was on Arimidex for 9 months and the pain got worse and worse for me. I did try exercising and it didn't help me. I was in to much pain. So the Dr put me on Famera. that was better for pain but I had Insomnia from it. So then changes to Aromasin. And the pain in knees got unbearable. Now I am on Tamoxifen. And so far so good. Still have a little pain but it is manageable. I am back to exercising!!
    Keep talking to your Dr, Meds can be changed. Until You find what works best for you. You don't have to live in pain. Good luck and Take care Kay

Arimidex misery..
    Thanks all. I'm calling the clinic in the morning. I have been taking it at night and I walk daily...well, I did until I started this drug. I can barely stand up straight, let alone walk. I am working and I'm finding that forgetfullness is a problem as well....and extreme fatigue. All I have been able to do is work and sleep. I'm a clinical mental health therapist.....not a good thing to have your patient's finishing your sentences!! Ah well...the pink ribbon on the wall helps me get through the day. I'll let you know what the Doc says.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Minka please talk to your doctor
    Please talk to your doctor. make sure that you are taking Vitamin D3 and calcium. They both are critical when taking Arimidex. You also need to walk 30 min 2 - 3 times a week to combat pain. There are medication, so your doctor can change your medication to another drug, Tamoxifen.
    Quality of life is very important to me and my doctor listens to me and offers a compromised solutions.

I was on Arimidex for 4 months and was switched to other medication.
    Hugs and let us know about your doctor's recommendations
    New Flower

Yes, please talk to your
    Yes, please talk to your oncologist about this. If your doctor doesn't want to change you to tamox to see how it does, I am sure he can prescribe something to help you with the pain.

Good luck and let us know,

Diane
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Minka said:

Arimidex misery..
    Thanks all. I'm calling the clinic in the morning. I have been taking it at night and I walk daily...well, I did until I started this drug. I can barely stand up straight, let alone walk. I am working and I'm finding that forgetfullness is a problem as well....and extreme fatigue. All I have been able to do is work and sleep. I'm a clinical mental health therapist.....not a good thing to have your patient's finishing your sentences!! Ah well...the pink ribbon on the wall helps me get through the day. I'll let you know what the Doc says.

Hope this helps!
    Please have your physician check your vitamin d level. It is a simple blood test that can be done when you have your routine labwork. There is a possible association between low vitamin d levels and arimidex pain.

I thought my level was ok because I took a routine supplement and live where there is lots of sunshine. My physician sister kept pushing me to check my vit d and, when I finally did, I was so low that I was sent to an endocrinologist who prescribed much higher doses until I was normal.

And, the great news, it did help some of my achiness. Also, I switched to taking the arimidex late afternoon as it really made me drag if I took in in the morning.

Vitamin D Improves Pain From Aromatase Inhibitors (such as arimidex)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/748096