Double trouble

Lisaepstein
Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member
Hi, my name is Lisa and I am 49 years old and I live in new jersey. 9 weeks ago I had uterus cancer and I needed a total hysterectomy and that was all I needed. Soon after I went for a mammography and I turned out having breast cancer I needed a lymsectomy which I had done last week . The results turned out to be a tumor size 2.1 grade 3. A fast growing one lucky we caught it when I did. Nodes were negative and there were clear margins. It was er positive. I go to oncologist next week to discuss treatment. Wonder what I will need. What a year I do a lot of crying!

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Oh my Lisa, what a
    Oh my Lisa, what a challenging year to say the least! It's good news they caught this in time. Welcome to the board, I'm sorry it has to be because of cancer. We're all here for you in spirit so you won't be going through this alone.

Just know the pink bus will load all your sisters on board to give you support to the doctor visit next week.

Sending my hugs!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    sea60 said:

Oh my Lisa, what a
    Oh my Lisa, what a challenging year to say the least! It's good news they caught this in time. Welcome to the board, I'm sorry it has to be because of cancer. We're all here for you in spirit so you won't be going through this alone.

Just know the pink bus will load all your sisters on board to give you support to the doctor visit next week.

Sending my hugs!

I'm so sorry but glad you found us.
    I am also ER positive. My radiology nurse is a uterine cancer survivor and told me that she is at increased risk for bc. I am almost 3 years out and doing great. Can't advise you about treatment but I'm sure you will do fine. Hugs!

Roseann
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    both cancers
    Lisa,
    My aunt had both uterus and breast cancer. The BC was 10 years ago. She is still around. I am glad they caught it early. You have a wonderful resource here for questions, hugs and prayers!

All the best with treatment.
    Cindy
  • Lisaepstein
    mamolady said:

both cancers
    Lisa,
    My aunt had both uterus and breast cancer. The BC was 10 years ago. She is still around. I am glad they caught it early. You have a wonderful resource here for questions, hugs and prayers!

All the best with treatment.
    Cindy

Treatment
    I was wondering if anyone knows how a doctor determines if you need chemo or not? wonder what treatments I will have to have? Does anyone know what foods contain soy?
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Treatment
    I was wondering if anyone knows how a doctor determines if you need chemo or not? wonder what treatments I will have to have? Does anyone know what foods contain soy?

Welcome
    Hi Lisa - Welcome to this board. You will find more knowledge and support from this group than you can imagine. Glad you found us.

You know I had both cancers - at the same time, and I had chemotherapy for Stage 1, Grade 2, ER/Pr+, HER-2- IDC. Be sure to ask about an Oncotype text. Most of us with early stage, ER+ breast cancer have had the test which helps determine whether chemotherapy will be beneficial or not. Do a search on this site. Lots of posts here about the test.

Regarding soy, just about everything that's prepared/prepackaged, easy, has soy. My onc told me the jury is still out on soy and to just use common sense. I never liked tofu much anyway, but I do enjoy Chinese food occasionally. I don't like soy milk, but I use soy sauce when I have Chinese food (not very often). I usually know what I'm eating and I do avoid soy - except for that occasional Chinese food and then I just relax and enjoy.

Overall, I try to eat fresh things and things that are organic, and primarily plant based.

Have you read "The Anti-Cancer Book" by Dr. David Servin-Shribner? Lots of good information and very educational. He lived more than 17 years after being diagnosed with a very nasty brain tumor. His book is about "managing your terrain". It made such good sense to me especially since there had to be something going on with my terrain (probably estrogen) to provide the perfect environment for two cancers to grow.

Please remember that both of your cancers were early stage, low grade and your prognosis is very good - probably whether you manage your terrain or not. I know it's hard to remember this and any new ache or pain you have that we all immediately think "is it back", you'll think "which one is back". It does get better. The longer you feel good, the less you worry. You just have to get there. And until you do, we're here to support you.

Also know that you will have a follow-up schedule for each cancer after you've completed your treatments. Don't be afraid to ask your gyn/onc breast questions or your breast onc gyn questions. You may have double trouble, but you also have this double oversight. I've also asked my pcp lots of questions.

At my last gyn/onc appointment, she said "it's better to have had 2, early stage, low grade cancers, than one late stage, high grade, aggressive cancer". And I'm sticking to that theory!

Hugs,
    Suzanne
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    sea60 said:

Oh my Lisa, what a

Sending my hugs!

Welcome to the board Lisa
    Welcome to the board Lisa that is full of wonderful pink sisters.
  • Lisaepstein

Welcome
    Hi Lisa - Welcome to this board. You will find more knowledge and support from this group than you can imagine. Glad you found us.

You know I had both cancers - at the same time, and I had chemotherapy for Stage 1, Grade 2, ER/Pr+, HER-2- IDC. Be sure to ask about an Oncotype text. Most of us with early stage, ER+ breast cancer have had the test which helps determine whether chemotherapy will be beneficial or not. Do a search on this site. Lots of posts here about the test.

Regarding soy, just about everything that's prepared/prepackaged, easy, has soy. My onc told me the jury is still out on soy and to just use common sense. I never liked tofu much anyway, but I do enjoy Chinese food occasionally. I don't like soy milk, but I use soy sauce when I have Chinese food (not very often). I usually know what I'm eating and I do avoid soy - except for that occasional Chinese food and then I just relax and enjoy.

Overall, I try to eat fresh things and things that are organic, and primarily plant based.

Have you read "The Anti-Cancer Book" by Dr. David Servin-Shribner? Lots of good information and very educational. He lived more than 17 years after being diagnosed with a very nasty brain tumor. His book is about "managing your terrain". It made such good sense to me especially since there had to be something going on with my terrain (probably estrogen) to provide the perfect environment for two cancers to grow.

Please remember that both of your cancers were early stage, low grade and your prognosis is very good - probably whether you manage your terrain or not. I know it's hard to remember this and any new ache or pain you have that we all immediately think "is it back", you'll think "which one is back". It does get better. The longer you feel good, the less you worry. You just have to get there. And until you do, we're here to support you.

Also know that you will have a follow-up schedule for each cancer after you've completed your treatments. Don't be afraid to ask your gyn/onc breast questions or your breast onc gyn questions. You may have double trouble, but you also have this double oversight. I've also asked my pcp lots of questions.

At my last gyn/onc appointment, she said "it's better to have had 2, early stage, low grade cancers, than one late stage, high grade, aggressive cancer". And I'm sticking to that theory!

Hugs,
    Suzanne

double trouble
    My uterus cancer was stage 1 grade 2. My breast cancer was stage 1 tumor was 2.1. grade 3. clear margins and my lype nodes were neg. I was er+, pr- and Her - . I had lymsectomy and I go to the oncologist next week. I wonder what about the face it was grade 3 does it really matter now its out and it mean if we did not caught it as early as we did it would have grown quickly.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Treatment

I'm glad your bc was caught
    I'm glad your bc was caught early. I know my oncologist told me to avoid soy, but he also said, that is almost impossible to not get some in your diet. Just be vigilant and avoid it if you know certain foods contain it.

Good luck with your appointment,

Leeza
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jnl said:

I'm glad your bc was caught
    I'm glad your bc was caught early. I know my oncologist told me to avoid soy, but he also said, that is almost impossible to not get some in your diet. Just be vigilant and avoid it if you know certain foods contain it.

Good luck with your appointment,

Leeza

Terrible circumstances -- 2 cancers
    back to back .. I just don't know what to say, except that I am so very sorry.

I am happy you found our site of Supportive Sisters/Brothers. We are here 24/7 -
    including Holidays and Week-ends.

My humble opinion .. always check with your Oncologist and his RN staff, and
    if you ask a question or have a concern -- make sure your Medical Staff provide
    adequate information, or answers. Be you own Best Health Advocate.

Gentle hugs and prayers coming your way.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    VickiSam said:

Terrible circumstances -- 2 cancers
    back to back .. I just don't know what to say, except that I am so very sorry.

I am happy you found our site of Supportive Sisters/Brothers. We are here 24/7 -
    including Holidays and Week-ends.

My humble opinion .. always check with your Oncologist and his RN staff, and
    if you ask a question or have a concern -- make sure your Medical Staff provide
    adequate information, or answers. Be you own Best Health Advocate.

Gentle hugs and prayers coming your way.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Welcoming you and offering
    Welcoming you and offering hugs, support and encouragement anytime you need them!

Jan