My thumbs hurt... ???

Findingout
Findingout Member Posts: 132
Has anyone had problems with your thumbs? All of a sudden, they hurt - both right and left! I'm on tamoxifen - 2 months now. Was previously on Arimidex (anastrozole) for 2 months but my joint issues were bad so he switched me over. Things definitely got better - then this. Just wondering if there is a connection - it could be tendonitis, it could be unrelated to the meds.

Comments

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    The same thing happened to me
    It took about three to four months for it to go away but it did. Now mine don't hurt at all anymore.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Me too.
    Yes, it happened to me, too. I am on tamoxifen. My oncologist told me the pain in my thumb had to do with drop in estrogen levels and menopause. The pain has since gone away. Other hand joints started hurting and then the pain eventually went away.

Best of luck with your journey.
    Ines
  • Findingout

The same thing happened to me
    It took about three to four months for it to go away but it did. Now mine don't hurt at all anymore.

Thank you! That is the best
    Thank you! That is the best news I could get.... :))
  • Findingout

Me too.
    Yes, it happened to me, too. I am on tamoxifen. My oncologist told me the pain in my thumb had to do with drop in estrogen levels and menopause. The pain has since gone away. Other hand joints started hurting and then the pain eventually went away.

Best of luck with your journey.
    Ines

Well, mine emailed me three
    Well, my Onc. emailed me three words, without even having seen my thumbs: You Have Arthritis. ?? What the... so I went to see a regular Dr. and he said it doesn't look like arthritis at all. Just curious, how long you've been on tamoxifen.
    Thanks to both of you!!!
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member

Well, mine emailed me three
    Well, my Onc. emailed me three words, without even having seen my thumbs: You Have Arthritis. ?? What the... so I went to see a regular Dr. and he said it doesn't look like arthritis at all. Just curious, how long you've been on tamoxifen.
    Thanks to both of you!!!

I have now
    Been on it for about 15 months. At first my thumbs were really painful especially in the mornings but after about 3-4 months it subsided completely. I never mentioned it to my onc so not sure what he would have said. I hope yours resolves soon!
  • Findingout

I have now
    Been on it for about 15 months. At first my thumbs were really painful especially in the mornings but after about 3-4 months it subsided completely. I never mentioned it to my onc so not sure what he would have said. I hope yours resolves soon!

Thanks Clementine! I was
    Thanks Clementine! I was ready to quit the tamox., they got so bad... Now I'm gonna stick with it. Glad you're doing better too. Have a great holiday. I so appreciate the responses.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Thanks Clementine! I was
    Thanks Clementine! I was ready to quit the tamox., they got so bad... Now I'm gonna stick with it. Glad you're doing better too. Have a great holiday. I so appreciate the responses.

some docs (mine included)
    some docs (mine included) dont always admit the drugs they prescribe cause side effects, i dont have this side effect but my joingt especially my knees hurt...
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    you aren't a big texter are
    you aren't a big texter are you?

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    I have arthitis in most of
    I have arthitis in most of my knuckles-I have had surgery on 3 already and ONE more very soon.

My fingers hurt more in winter, that is how I Knew prior to Dr telling me..what it was..

Denise

could it be that?
  • disneyfan2008
    I have arthitis in most of
    I have arthitis in most of my knuckles-I have had surgery on 3 already and ONE more very soon.

My fingers hurt more in winter, that is how I Knew prior to Dr telling me..what it was..

Denise

could it be that?
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Anything I have pop up out
    Anything I have pop up out of the blue, I automatically blame on Tamoxifen. My hands have been aching.. thumbs and between my fingers. I also have really bad eczema on my right hand and right foot that showed up after I started taking Tamoxifen. My bones and joints in general just ache. Esp now that the weather has changed. I did have a Vit D check last month, and my level is just 9. I take my Vit D when I take my ibuprofen so I will remember it. My left arm and left hand really bother me, and that's the side of the sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy. In fact, my scar sites have really been more achy than usual. I'm guessing it's the weather. We are having our first snow today, and the temp is in the 20's. I need an electric blanket for work, and I'm not usually cold.

Bright side, only 4 more years to go on the Tamoxifen! :-)
  • disneyfan2008
    JuJuBeez said:

Anything I have pop up out of the blue, I automatically blame on Tamoxifen. My hands have been aching.. thumbs and between my fingers. I also have really bad eczema on my right hand and right foot that showed up after I started taking Tamoxifen. My bones and joints in general just ache. Esp now that the weather has changed. I did have a Vit D check last month, and my level is just 9. I take my Vit D when I take my ibuprofen so I will remember it. My left arm and left hand really bother me, and that's the side of the sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy. In fact, my scar sites have really been more achy than usual. I'm guessing it's the weather. We are having our first snow today, and the temp is in the 20's. I need an electric blanket for work, and I'm not usually cold.

usually I GET VERY VERY bad
    usually I GET VERY VERY bad legs cramps...now I get them from toes up arch to heal..seems like that last forever...pain to point I can't move my toes...I too blame the med

Denise
  • Findingout
    carkris said:

some docs (mine included)
    some docs (mine included) dont always admit the drugs they prescribe cause side effects, i dont have this side effect but my joingt especially my knees hurt...

thanks carkris...
    I actually took almost 2 weeks off the tamoxifen just to test it out. My thumbs hurt much less. They are usable - I can again turn my door knob, pull up my pants and open baggies with a tolerable amount of pain. (rather than using my middle fingers only!) I'm going back on the tamox. though and I plan to get more info from my onc. at my upcoming appt. So Thanks and Happy New Year and hope you're doing well and that your knees aren't too bad.
  • Findingout
    JuJuBeez said:

cipro and tendons
    Well, have any of you taken Ciprofloxacin, the antibiotic? Now I've read that people with numb or tingly hands or feet should not take Cipro, as it causes tendon problems, such as thumb pain! I saw this on another discussion board, after I googled "tamoxifen and thumb pain"! Then I went to a web md site and sure enough, I read the warning. I've been prescribed Cipro TWICE in the past couple months! Once was Cipro eye drops. Once was the pills. No one asked me about my hands or feet but I've had the remnants of neuropathy from chemo. Just wanted to post this info!! Be careful! And thanks for your support and comments!
  • ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    Too much hitch hiking?
    I had

Too much hitch hiking?

I had pain in my left one, but I was on different medication. It eventually went away.