Drain, Drain, go away!!

SueRelays
SueRelays Member Posts: 485
Just curious if any of you had your drain/drains for longer than 6 weeks? I had one removed 2 weeks ago and now building up a small amount of fluid. My left side is still in and continues to drain and drain!!! I'm going on 6 weeks tomorrow! UGGGHHH!!! You all know how annoying those are!!!
Surgeon doesn't want to remove with so much fluid still draining and especially since the other side is building up fluid under the skin. any thoughts???

Comments

• missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    The side that I had the
    The side that I had the nodes removed from had a drain in for over 2 months (the other side was out in less than a week). :(
    I hope yours comes out soon!
    Dana
  • SueRelays

The side that I had the
    The side that I had the nodes removed from had a drain in for over 2 months (the other side was out in less than a week). :(
    I hope yours comes out soon!
    Dana

Wow! Ok thanks Dana!!

Wow! Ok thanks Dana!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    SueRelays said:

Wow! Ok thanks Dana!!

Wow! Ok thanks Dana!!

I had a lumpectomy Sue, so,
    I had a lumpectomy Sue, so, no drain. Hoping yours come out soon!

Good to see you,

Sue :)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Ritzy said:

I had a lumpectomy Sue, so,
    I had a lumpectomy Sue, so, no drain. Hoping yours come out soon!

Good to see you,

Sue :)

My drains were in for a
    My drains were in for a while then I had to go back and have fluid removed once they came out. The doc ended up wrapping my chest in an ace bandage for six weeks. only came off one hour per day, and my husband had to help me. Try to avoid any twistin motions and lifting your arm too high. the skin needs to tack down and any opening/loosening causes the space to fill with fluid. It was explained to me that the body does that. It is called seroma. It does eventually go away, but it stinks having them, I hated them. I hope they come out soon.
  • SueRelays
    carkris said:

My drains were in for a
    My drains were in for a while then I had to go back and have fluid removed once they came out. The doc ended up wrapping my chest in an ace bandage for six weeks. only came off one hour per day, and my husband had to help me. Try to avoid any twistin motions and lifting your arm too high. the skin needs to tack down and any opening/loosening causes the space to fill with fluid. It was explained to me that the body does that. It is called seroma. It does eventually go away, but it stinks having them, I hated them. I hope they come out soon.

Yikes! That ace bandage
    Yikes! That ace bandage isn't fun either!!! Thanks for the advice!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    NO Advice just some pixie
    NO Advice just some pixie dust...heading your way..

Denise
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

NO Advice just some pixie
    NO Advice just some pixie dust...heading your way..

Denise

yes but I liked the ace
    yes but I liked the ace better than the drain, I have had a lot as many of us have, and it was a thing that just bugged me....Hated them
    The good news is its a blip on my screen, now its a "remmeber when" thought andit will be for you too.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    carkris said:

yes but I liked the ace
    yes but I liked the ace better than the drain, I have had a lot as many of us have, and it was a thing that just bugged me....Hated them
    The good news is its a blip on my screen, now its a "remmeber when" thought andit will be for you too.

Drains are a pain
    but do what they're supposed to. I had a lumpectomy but also had 23 nodes removed, so I had a drain for 5 weeks. Thought I'd never get rid of that thing. But, once I was only draining less than 30 (I guess ml.) per day for 3 days, my surgeon said it could come out. I tried to be patient and never had to have it drained in his office after it was removed. Try to hang in there--soon this will only be a memory.

Good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    missrenee said:

Drains are a pain
    but do what they're supposed to. I had a lumpectomy but also had 23 nodes removed, so I had a drain for 5 weeks. Thought I'd never get rid of that thing. But, once I was only draining less than 30 (I guess ml.) per day for 3 days, my surgeon said it could come out. I tried to be patient and never had to have it drained in his office after it was removed. Try to hang in there--soon this will only be a memory.

Good luck.

Hugs, Renee

And DON'T come back another day!
    I had a drain that I thought fused to my skin I had it so long. Everyone is different. They are a pain in the rear!

Hugs!

Sylvia
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Mine for the lymph nodes
    Mine for the lymph nodes took forever! The problem was moving my arm. Unfortunately, it was my right side and I am right handed! Try to do what the doc says to be able to get them out. I think I was at 5 weeks. It seemed like they would never come out then all of the sudden they did! I didn't have any trouble with extra fluid after that either.

Hang in there, this too shall pass!

Cindy
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Drain
    Mine was in 6-1/2 weeks. I was told I'd have it out in 10-14 days - duh! Wasn't prepared for this at all, I wished I'd have know about this site back when to get some advice. I couldn't wear anyting but husband's old oversized T-shirts and a zip-up housecoat. It went on draining and draining and draining. Finally after 6-1/2 weeks the surgeon decided to pull it out anyway he said this could go on forever. If I remember right I still drained 35 cc's (?) I had to look out for fluid built-up, which he was going to remove through a needle. Fortunately this never happened. No lymphedema either, at least so far.
    M.
  • MusicMama
    MusicMama Member Posts: 11
    Those pesky drains!!! Mine
    Those pesky drains!!! Mine was in for 12 weeks. Had a seroma & staph infection in it. I thought it would never leave! It even tore the skin & had to have extra stitches put in. I wish I would have found this site... I thought I was a freek of nature! lol But it eventually did come out and so will yours!! Glad I have found all of you now!

Diane
  • SueRelays
    MusicMama said:

Those pesky drains!!! Mine was in for 12 weeks. Had a seroma & staph infection in it. I thought it would never leave! It even tore the skin & had to have extra stitches put in. I wish I would have found this site... I thought I was a freek of nature! lol But it eventually did come out and so will yours!! Glad I have found all of you now!

Diane

Thank you all so much! This
    Thank you all so much! This site is so helpful!
    I was also told 1-3 weeks, so was unprepared for 6+ weeks!
    Thanks for the support & Well wishes....I know it could be worse!!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    SueRelays said:

Thank you all so much! This
    Thank you all so much! This site is so helpful!
    I was also told 1-3 weeks, so was unprepared for 6+ weeks!
    Thanks for the support & Well wishes....I know it could be worse!!

Ugh drains! Hoping this 6
    Ugh drains! Hoping this 6 weeks will go by fast for you! Good to see you!
  • Gardenter
    Gardenter Member Posts: 1
    Drains
    I had a Mastectomy on Nov 23,2011. Drains were in for 3 weeks. Lymph nodes were the worst, but I really feel for you at 6 weeks. Hope they are out now! The minute those drains came out, I felt 75% better. I could no longer remember recovery! I wear a compression bra because of swelling. Went to a Lymphedema Class where I receive treatment at Univ of Michigan. They recommended wearing compression garment for 23 hours out of 24. I hated the thought, but found a comfortable compression bra and feel much better in it than without it. It helped any fluid build-up and pain has lessened dramatically. I found the bra on Amazon.com --- Marena surgical bra - doesn't have a pocket but I shove soft prothesis in it. It comes out so I will have to sew in a pocket, but worth it. Only $45.00!! It's wonderful!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    MusicMama said:

Diane

I've thought about you Sue
    I've thought about you Sue and hadn't seen you post. How are you doing?