Breast Cancer Survivors can be blood donors again

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
I've always been a donor basically for as long as I can remember until the last few years. I thought that once you were BC, that ended your ability to donate (had been told that by some that you can't ever again). I decided today to call the local blood center and ask them directly. Turns out that I can donate so I have an 11:30 appt tomorrow morning.

What I was told was that some cancers do exclude you from donating but BC doesn't once you are a year out of TX. (Horome therapy doesn't matter). Of course you still have to meet the other requirements to donate but BC is not an automatic disqualification.

Everyone will be a part of goes to help someone who needs it - my body let's me physically do this little bit - the being of everyone else will be going to help those in need. 8 weeks from now, we'll be doing it again.

Susan

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    That is such a thoughtful,
    That is such a thoughtful, considerate thing to do. Bless you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • CeCe62
    CeCe62 Member Posts: 1
    Blood Donors
    That is great news Rague. I also donate blood and platelets. I had heard I would no longer be able to donate since I now have Breast Cancer.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

That is such a thoughtful,
    That is such a thoughtful, considerate thing to do. Bless you.

Hugs,

Linda

I didn't know that we could
    I didn't know that we could give blood. Thanks Susan for letting us know.

Lex
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    thanks
    This is good news.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

thanks
    This is good news.

I read
    I read that cancer patients can't donate blood.Things must have changed in the last few months. I read that since my dx in 2009.

My husband always donated.Just the last couple years he hasn't.His work schedule is pretty much the reason why.He works overttime alot.

Nice that your are a donor and now breast cancer patients can donate blood. I have a history of anemia so I never donate.When my blood count gets low I take iron. Years ago I did have transfusions.

Lynn Smith
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I have....
    and CRC must be another that after tx you can...

I donated over 9 gallons before my first dx, and then after my treatments for both were over in 2007, I went back to the blood bank to ask, I'd heard many different things...

Not only did they say yes, but reminded me that I have a blood that is devoid of a certain virus that most people contract (80% of all donors), without knowing and with no harm to them, that makes their blood ineligible to be given to the immune-compromised. So the bank was VERY interested in me starting my donating again *smile*.

Hugs, Kathi
  • alexcc
    alexcc Member Posts: 19
    I always donated prior to
    I always donated prior to bc. Glad to hear I can still donate! Thanks for the info!
  • Rague
    Yes You really can!
    You really can give!

I kept thinking that what I had read and been told wasn't true - until they would put the needle in. They did. I wasn't worried about being DQ'd on BP or blood count (I've never been close to anemic except before 1st son was born -Drs goofed and kept telling me that I just had "heartburn" when actually had a bleeding hyiatal hernia. That was 1977 when HIV was hitting the blood supply - luckily the order for blood got lost so I didn't get any.) Have an appt for 11:30 on Feb 10 for next go.

I've only done whole, never platlets. Have no clue how many gallons I've donated since the first time in 1961 and all the different sites around the country - doesn't matter.

Thought of something else - BC does not automatically exclude from organ donating. The last time I got a new Dependant's ID, I wasasked if I wanted to an Organ Donor again. I said yes but didn't think I could be thanks to BC. She pulled out a book with guidelines.Seems that there are some exclusions but there are still some things we can donate. So I went ahead and signed up for being an Organ Donor - at that time the Dr's will be able to make the decision of what is usuable and to me any usuable is better than none.

Susan
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I used to donate blood
    I used to donate blood before my DX and I too was told I could not give blood or be an organ donor. I will definitely look into it. I have always felt it was an important thing to do.
  • Rague
    elm3544 said:

I used to donate blood
    I used to donate blood before my DX and I too was told I could not give blood or be an organ donor. I will definitely look into it. I have always felt it was an important thing to do.

There is a bit of truth to
    There is a bit of truth to not giving - some cancers are excluded forever but not Breast Cancer. . You do have to be at least a year out of TX (estrogen blockers are not counted as TX) and had no reoccurances. This info can be found at the Red Cross blood bank site on line. Our local blood bank is United Blood Services and they definately did take my blood last Friday. They did ask about have you had cancer - then documented the type and dates of last TX.

For ogan donating I was told that some parts can not be used but some can -the Doctors can figure out what is usuable and what isn't so I resigned to be a donor for whatever can be used if anything.

Susan
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Thank you
    That is so good to hear because I had been told that I wouldn't be able to donate again, too. Thank you for letting me know.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    helen e said:

Thank you
    That is so good to hear because I had been told that I wouldn't be able to donate again, too. Thank you for letting me know.

I've been told the same thing .. as ELM
    however, I will ask my Oncologist on my next visit.

Wonderful news ...for many of us.

Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us Sisters in PINK.

Vicki Sam