a Cancer Center/Hospital VS. an "individual" oncologist---any thoughts?

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
as you may have read, I have a kidney stone, ovarian cysts, prior double mastectomy, am diabetic and the list goes on.

my question to you all.....I have an appt. at our local Cancer Center in January.
with all that is going on, does it seem like a good idea for a fresh approach??

Hugs and thank you!!!

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Nor understanding
    Are you currently having issues with possible mets or are you stage IV? Not sure what you mean about a "fresh approach" with an oncologist when dealing with other medical issues..
  • lizzie17
    Rague said:

Nor understanding
    Are you currently having issues with possible mets or are you stage IV? Not sure what you mean about a "fresh approach" with an oncologist when dealing with other medical issues..

try again....
    I do not know yet of possible mets, just wanting a different opinion I guess.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    lizzie17 said:

try again....

I had 8
    I had 8 kidney stones about a year ago.Had a CT scan.My gastro doctor said nothing.Then I started having some light bleeding in my urine.My family doctor said I needed to see a urologist.Went to one.That didn't last long.Found another.The new urologist did a KUB.Not a CT scan(to much radiation IMO).Anyway it showed I was down to 4 stones from the 8 when I had the CT scan in the beginning.The reason I quit the one urologist he insisted on me getting another CT scan.I told him I had enough X Rays and there must be something else.He passed me off. So I passed on him.

Also with that first CT scan I found out I have a hernia.I should have that taken care of.I am like you.To many things going on.Dentist appts, mammos, had a breast biopsy in Aug(benign),having varicose vein problems.Having those taken care of.To much going on. For someone who wanted my body to be left alone after dx it sure has hit me with all these new things popping up. I don't know how you are but I don't like my body disturbed more than it needs to but seems something is always happening.

Lynn Smith
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    lizzie17 said:

try again....

What's going on with you?
    With "co morbidities" (I hate that word), my non medical opinion is that it's really important that the right hand knows what the left is doing. This has been made a lot more efficient with the introduction of the electronic medical record. If a cancer center is connected to a network of health care providers, then I personally like that. Here in Northern CA I think that scenario is pretty common - unless you go outside for a second opinion. Most of our health care providers here(i.e., Kaiser, Mercy, Sutter, UCD) have their own cancer centers so the cancer docs can know what else is going on with you. I know my primary care physician knows everything that the oncologists were doing to me and because I had 2 cancers at the same time and saw different oncologists, they all seemed to know what each other was doing - because they all had instant access to my medical record. I don't know how that works if, for example, you go to an independent cancer center. This is important to me and more efficient I'd think for overall care.

Second opinions are different in my little brain. I would not hesitate to get an outside second opinion if I wanted one. I'd do my research and figure out where I'd want to go and hopefully go there. Most insurances will pay for second opinions and I think most physicians have absolutely no issues with that. If I got a second opinion, I hope I could go somewhere where that opinion would be expert and optimal, not somewhere where the physician would be governed either by restrictions of your health insurance or the group/organization that s/he practices in. I would want to feel comfortable that this person is able to think outside the box. If it's the same opinion as the care I'm getting, all the better.

Suzanne
  • lizzie17

What's going on with you?
    With "co morbidities" (I hate that word), my non medical opinion is that it's really important that the right hand knows what the left is doing. This has been made a lot more efficient with the introduction of the electronic medical record. If a cancer center is connected to a network of health care providers, then I personally like that. Here in Northern CA I think that scenario is pretty common - unless you go outside for a second opinion. Most of our health care providers here(i.e., Kaiser, Mercy, Sutter, UCD) have their own cancer centers so the cancer docs can know what else is going on with you. I know my primary care physician knows everything that the oncologists were doing to me and because I had 2 cancers at the same time and saw different oncologists, they all seemed to know what each other was doing - because they all had instant access to my medical record. I don't know how that works if, for example, you go to an independent cancer center. This is important to me and more efficient I'd think for overall care.

Second opinions are different in my little brain. I would not hesitate to get an outside second opinion if I wanted one. I'd do my research and figure out where I'd want to go and hopefully go there. Most insurances will pay for second opinions and I think most physicians have absolutely no issues with that. If I got a second opinion, I hope I could go somewhere where that opinion would be expert and optimal, not somewhere where the physician would be governed either by restrictions of your health insurance or the group/organization that s/he practices in. I would want to feel comfortable that this person is able to think outside the box. If it's the same opinion as the care I'm getting, all the better.

Suzanne

here is the scoop...
    I am keeping the appt. at the Cancer Center in January hoping for some continuity in my care.
    They did the CA-125 and FSH bloodwork today. Wednesday is the urologist for my kidney stone.

I agree that I really want the left hand and the right hand to know what is happening.