Starting Arimidex and Rads

MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! Doc started arimidex yesterday and I see the rad onc tomorrow. I feel so relieved to get these treatments started.

We talked about my CT Scan (4-5 small nodules in my lungs were found). She said she can't rule out mets but neither could she say for certain that this is lung cancer or breast cancer that has metastasized. She said that IF I was really concerned and couldn't wait to get results about what is in my lungs, she would approve surgery to get the largest nodule out. All I kept hearing is "my treatment plan would not change either way". Then she was saying something about Stage 4 and I just went deaf at that point. I would interrupt her statement. I just don't want to hear it. I would think if this is mets and she says stage 4, then the treatment would have to change. AM I right on this?

I am worried/concerned. But I don't want to think this is cancer in my lungs. The arimidex should take care of the nodules IF they are cancer. That's my understanding. So...I have an appointment for a month from now and she will do blood work. I will also have a new CT scan in February.

Ladies....I have talked to you and learned so much from you over these past 2 months. AM I doing this right? Should I just have the surgery and get answers NOW? Being newly diagnosed with BC is scary enough .... now the possibility of it having metastasized is just too much for me to handle.

Love you all!

Mary

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Treatment Plan Would Remain The Same
    Dear Mary,

I don't believe your treatment plan would be any different. If your nodules in your lungs are indeed cancer Arimidex will take care of them. You are ER+ and that is just as good a treatment if not better than chemotherapy would be for you. Your tumor or tumors are fueled by Estrogen that is how they grow. Arimidex blocks estrogen at the adrenal gland. Tumors therefore starve to death.

When you have another ct scan, they will or hopefully be able to tell you something. If they were cancer, they would shrink or go wherever cancer goes (absorb by the body as refuse). If they are the results of some sort of inflammatory condition, they may or may not still be there.

When I had my VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery) it was because they needed to know the make-up of these tumors. It had been 8 years since my last recurrence and there were several possibilities: a) I had lung cancer b) the breast cancer tumors had changed from ER/PR+ Her2- to ER/PR- or HER2+ I had to have a VATS in order to know how to be treated. Hormonal therapy was offered as I have responded well to those prior to that recurrence on Arimidex. This drug was wonderful to me.

Your bc is recent so they are treating it with a hormonal therapy. Chemotherapy is used more often when a woman is triple negative or before menopause for stage IV. Hormonal works better with women who are post menopausal and ER or PR positive.

Enjoy your holidays Mary knowing you are doing everything you can to dance with NED (no evidence of disease). I find the Stable Boy to be just as good (stable disease).

Best to you,

Doris
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Mary
    I can certainly understand wanting to just get the cancer out! I'm sure you're relieved to be starting treatment. I don't know if there is a right or wrong most times as we rely on our oncologists to guide us through this. I would think that if you DID opt for surgery and you have mets, it would change the course of your treatment but I'm not a doctor and I'm sure some of these ladies would know better.

I'm praying that you have good scans and that the arimidex shrinks that nodule away.

Sending you hugs of comfort,

Sylvia
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Staying calm through it all.
    Staying calm through it all. Just so happy to be on a treatment plan. Like I said, the doc mentioned Stage 4 if this is lung cancer that has metastasized from the breast cancer. I pray this HT will do the job and I will be cancer free in a hurry.

Doris, thank you so much for all that you have said. You have held my hand through it all and most importantly, HOPE :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    sea60 said:

Mary
    I can certainly understand wanting to just get the cancer out! I'm sure you're relieved to be starting treatment. I don't know if there is a right or wrong most times as we rely on our oncologists to guide us through this. I would think that if you DID opt for surgery and you have mets, it would change the course of your treatment but I'm not a doctor and I'm sure some of these ladies would know better.

I'm praying that you have good scans and that the arimidex shrinks that nodule away.

Sending you hugs of comfort,

Sylvia

Like Sylvia said, we need to
    Like Sylvia said, we need to trust our own instincts and our oncologist. They should have our best interest in mind. Praying for good scans for you.

Hugs, Leeza