Juicing recipe's

plh4gail
plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
Please share juicer recipe's with me? Or if you don't juice, maybe you have an idea for something? I am going to buy a juicer after Christmas and really don't know what tastes best, what I should not want to use, just any advice or ideas would be much appreciated :)

plh4gail

Comments

• janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Hi Gail
    I got a juicer several months ago. I did a fair amount of research. The one for me was the Omega Vert. The reason I choose it was due to the fact (so it says), the juice is good (retains its nutrients) for up to 72 hours. (It runs at a lower RPM, and doesn't heat up the juice so much, therefore the nutrients aren't destroyed.) That is good for me, cause i knew that i would not juice every day, otherwise. It is quite an investment (but so is everything).
    I don't really have any specific recipes, but they can be found on-line, you-tube, or there's probably a ton of books on it. In cancer treatment books, etc.
    I like to eat fruit, so I don't juice much fruit. I focus on greens and the veggies that I don't eat nearly enough of. Plus, I'd save fruit for the "blender" (smoothies) anyway.
    My juice isn't exactly tasty, but at this point I don't care. There are recipes, however, that are very good.
    Disclaimer - - (this is just my opinion)
  • have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    janie1 said:

Hi Gail
    I got a juicer several months ago. I did a fair amount of research. The one for me was the Omega Vert. The reason I choose it was due to the fact (so it says), the juice is good (retains its nutrients) for up to 72 hours. (It runs at a lower RPM, and doesn't heat up the juice so much, therefore the nutrients aren't destroyed.) That is good for me, cause i knew that i would not juice every day, otherwise. It is quite an investment (but so is everything).
    I don't really have any specific recipes, but they can be found on-line, you-tube, or there's probably a ton of books on it. In cancer treatment books, etc.
    I like to eat fruit, so I don't juice much fruit. I focus on greens and the veggies that I don't eat nearly enough of. Plus, I'd save fruit for the "blender" (smoothies) anyway.
    My juice isn't exactly tasty, but at this point I don't care. There are recipes, however, that are very good.
    Disclaimer - - (this is just my opinion)

i also have an omega, so i
    i also have an omega, so i have to chop all the stuff into bite size pieces before putting it through. it's a pain to prepare, but cleaning is a breeze.

here is my recipe:
    half a beet
    4-5 carrots
    3 stalks of celery
    5 stalks of asparagus
    one apple

sometimes we throw in kale but be warned- kale is not particulary tasty in my opinion.
  • janie1

i also have an omega, so i
    i also have an omega, so i have to chop all the stuff into bite size pieces before putting it through. it's a pain to prepare, but cleaning is a breeze.

here is my recipe:
    half a beet
    4-5 carrots
    3 stalks of celery
    5 stalks of asparagus
    one apple

sometimes we throw in kale but be warned- kale is not particulary tasty in my opinion.

Oh yea.
    There are many different kinds of Omegas. It was kind of a pain researching, but I'm happy with the Vert, and others will be happy with theirs. Just know what is important to you, then it's easier to decide among so many types juicers.
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Have you done this before? I
    Have you done this before? I want to try juicing, but it seems like a big mess, before and after so I've been reluctant. What is your experience? How much does a good juicer cost?
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    tommycat said:

Have you done this before? I
    Have you done this before? I want to try juicing, but it seems like a big mess, before and after so I've been reluctant. What is your experience? How much does a good juicer cost?

Okay, one day I thought it
    Okay, one day I thought it would be a good idea to add beets. I love beets...you may not, but this is basically a warning as I scared myself silly one day....added a beet to my juicing one evening....pooped the next morning, the toilet bowl was full of red!! I've never had rectal bleeding so no experience there....thought oh my gosh I'm bleeding...felt fine though, no pain, no loss of energy, no upset tummy...so just stayed calm, recalled the beet juice combined with red cabbage must be the culprit...next poopy completely normal colour. I also will take cholera, or add it to juice...it will turn things green. Fennel will add a bit of licorice flavour to your juice if you like that flavour.
  • have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    smokeyjoe said:

Okay, one day I thought it would be a good idea to add beets. I love beets...you may not, but this is basically a warning as I scared myself silly one day....added a beet to my juicing one evening....pooped the next morning, the toilet bowl was full of red!! I've never had rectal bleeding so no experience there....thought oh my gosh I'm bleeding...felt fine though, no pain, no loss of energy, no upset tummy...so just stayed calm, recalled the beet juice combined with red cabbage must be the culprit...next poopy completely normal colour. I also will take cholera, or add it to juice...it will turn things green. Fennel will add a bit of licorice flavour to your juice if you like that flavour.

that's too funny
    Happened to us too...but now, sorta used to it now so no alarms hehe.
  • janie1
    smokeyjoe said:

smokeyjoe
    did you mean chlorella?? (not cholera).

(i keep coming back here to see what others are juicing) :)
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    juicer just broke
    I've been doing my juicing regimen and am bummed because when I went to use it two days ago, I prepared all the veggies and fruit, had things ready to go- plugged it in and switched it on and nothing happened. It's like it's totally dead. I tried it in different outlets, thinking at first the problem was my electrical outlet. Nothing. Nothing is caught in it- it just is completely dead. It's a "Champion" & had good reviews- was over $300. I've had it a little over a year & it really hasn't been used a huge amount, so it definitely shouldn't be broken. I don't think I saved any warranty papers from it or anything & I purchased it over the the internet- don't even remember from where. So, now I'm screwed and can't juice unless I get a new one. This time, I will buy it from a local store, not online, and will be sure to save warranty paperwork from it.

I'm thinking of the Vitamix (I think that's what it's called) from Costco- anyone have any experience with that one?

Lisa
  • Trapbear
    Trapbear Member Posts: 108 Member
    lisa42 said:

juicer just broke
    I've been doing my juicing regimen and am bummed because when I went to use it two days ago, I prepared all the veggies and fruit, had things ready to go- plugged it in and switched it on and nothing happened. It's like it's totally dead. I tried it in different outlets, thinking at first the problem was my electrical outlet. Nothing. Nothing is caught in it- it just is completely dead. It's a "Champion" & had good reviews- was over $300. I've had it a little over a year & it really hasn't been used a huge amount, so it definitely shouldn't be broken. I don't think I saved any warranty papers from it or anything & I purchased it over the the internet- don't even remember from where. So, now I'm screwed and can't juice unless I get a new one. This time, I will buy it from a local store, not online, and will be sure to save warranty paperwork from it.

I'm thinking of the Vitamix (I think that's what it's called) from Costco- anyone have any experience with that one?

Lisa

HI Lisa,
    We have a Vitamix

HI Lisa,
    We have a Vitamix from Costco and love it! We use it every morning, mostly vegetables. Very easy to clean, have had it for over a year and no problems. I don't post much, but have been following your journey, you are a remarkable woman and I hope things stay stable for you. My husband is also stage 4, multiple lung mets, surgery not an option, but he has been stable for two years on 5FU and Avastin, with a few cycles of Folfiri thrown in when things started to grow again.
    Take care,
    Bill
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    lisa42 said:

juicer just broke

Lisa

L42
    Hey Lisa

I saw that product last year and it looked good. I think we talked about it actually. I opened a post to Em about it and she said it crushed things up and didn't 'extract' the way a juicer does.

I don't know. I know down here it retailed at Costco for about $429.00. It was a commercial job.

-C
  • toyfox
    toyfox Member Posts: 158 Member
    lisa42 said:

juicer just broke

Lisa

We had the same problem with our juicer. My husband found out why it was not working.
    There is a magnet on the end of the screen holder that may have come off. The juicer will not run
    if the magnet is missing. This is what happened to us. My husband found the piece and glued it back on....has been running since. You might want to check and see if that is the problem.
    The screen holders are easy to replace. My husband is the fix-it man.
    Linda
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Sundanceh said:

L42
    Hey Lisa

I saw that product last year and it looked good. I think we talked about it actually. I opened a post to Em about it and she said it crushed things up and didn't 'extract' the way a juicer does.

I don't know. I know down here it retailed at Costco for about $429.00. It was a commercial job.

-C

The Vitamix
    is more a blender than a juicer, though it will turn most anything into a liquid. I do tend to buy expensive appliances at Costco now, as even years later they will take it back, whether you bought it on-line or in the store. Kind of an extended extended warranty.

Costco has a couple of juicers on Costco.com, I have no idea about the difference between them, but this seemed to be the highest rated:

Kuvings® Multi-Purpose Masticating Juicer

And just over two bills.

Disclaimer: I own a Vitamix, and for ease of cleanup alone it was the best investment we ever made in a blender.
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Hi Gail,

I juice just about every day and you will not regret it. It gives me more energy and is great for your skin as well. My recipe is usually:

4 carrots
    3 celery
    4 asparagus
    handful of kale
    handful of spinach
    some beet
    some ginger
    1 granny smith apple

It really tastes great, but looks gross (green/brown). You will love it!
    I have a Champion juicer and it works great.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • lisa42
    toyfox said:

We had the same problem with our juicer. My husband found out why it was not working.
    There is a magnet on the end of the screen holder that may have come off. The juicer will not run
    if the magnet is missing. This is what happened to us. My husband found the piece and glued it back on....has been running since. You might want to check and see if that is the problem.
    The screen holders are easy to replace. My husband is the fix-it man.
    Linda

Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied about my broken juicer and the vitamix! I didn't realize the Vitamix was so expensive. Hmmm... I'll have to check some out.
    First though, Linda- thanks for the tip. Before buying anything new, I'll see if I can figure out if there's a magnet or something missing on mine too. My screen has always been very difficult to get into place, maybe I did something by forcing it into place.

Lisa
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

I have a Champion, too. Did you check to see that the sliding screen holder is placed correctly because the motor will not start if it isn't? Hope you get it working again.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • lisa42

Hi Gail,

I juice just about every day and you will not regret it. It gives me more energy and is great for your skin as well. My recipe is usually:

4 carrots
    3 celery
    4 asparagus
    handful of kale
    handful of spinach
    some beet
    some ginger
    1 granny smith apple

It really tastes great, but looks gross (green/brown). You will love it!
    I have a Champion juicer and it works great.

Hugs,
    Sara

also a dash of cinnamon
    I've discovered that in addition to the above ingredients Sara listed, that adding a dash of cinnamon helps with the flavor.

Lisa
  • lisa42

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

I have a Champion, too. Did you check to see that the sliding screen holder is placed correctly because the motor will not start if it isn't? Hope you get it working again.

Hugs,
    Sara

I'll check
    Sara,

I will check that out!
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    lisa42 said:

juicer just broke

Lisa

Lisa
    I would contact the company that makes the juicer and see if they have any solutions. I have an Omega from QVC. I really need to start using it more, but I like plain old carrot juice
  • toyfox
    toyfox Member Posts: 158 Member
    lisa42 said:

Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied about my broken juicer and the vitamix! I didn't realize the Vitamix was so expensive. Hmmm... I'll have to check some out.
    First though, Linda- thanks for the tip. Before buying anything new, I'll see if I can figure out if there's a magnet or something missing on mine too. My screen has always been very difficult to get into place, maybe I did something by forcing it into place.

Lisa

More information on juicer screen
    We also had a problem putting the screen on until we found out were
    doing it wrong. We tried to put the screen on the screen holder...does
    not work that way. The screen needs to be placed on main housing first...then
    slide on the screen holder. I found that out by watching a utube video. Sounds
    strange but it works.

I found a picture that shows the magnetic piece that goes on the screen holder.
    Hopes this helps.

http://www.877myjuicer.com/champion-juicer-replacement-screen-holder-black.html
  • lisa42
    Yay, it works now!
    Thank you for the suggestions- it works now! Apparently I was putting the screen on wrong. Don't know why I had such a hard time with it. It will only work when that screen is on correctly and the magnet is engaged. I think I may have been trying to force it on backwards- duh!!!

Glad for your suggestions, anyhow- now I won't have to go get a new one!

Lisa :)

P.S. Gail- sorry I hijacked your thread with my question on my juicer. Hope you get lots of juicing recipes. Emily posted many quite a while back- you may want to do a search for them.