dcis

Hi I am new and I was diag.with DCIS in June 2011 Had surgery/radiation. I startted on tamoxifen in july 2011. Lately I have been having headaches and leg pain. I walk but my legs and calf hurts a lot especially at night.

Comments

• robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    It could be the tamoxifen.
    It could be the tamoxifen. It causes both in some people. I get horrid leg cramps all night. Try drinking a lot of water through the day. I was told to drink tonic water since the quinine in it does something for the leg cramps. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There may be something they think you can do for it. I had the same diagnosis in Feb and am on tamoxifen also. I had to add effexor to the list because I had such horrid hot flashes from it. The effexor helped with the flashes a lot.

angela
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Discuss with doctor!
    While on Femara, (hormonal therapy) I developed a lot of leg pain and had a lot of charlie horses especially in the pool. My primary wanted me to used calcium, then magnesium and I believe b12. They finally went away.

You might want to discuss this side effect with your doctor. Tamoxifen can cause blood clots in the legs, not common but, it can happen.

Keep us updated,

Doris
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    SIROD said:

Discuss with doctor!
    While on Femara, (hormonal therapy) I developed a lot of leg pain and had a lot of charlie horses especially in the pool. My primary wanted me to used calcium, then magnesium and I believe b12. They finally went away.

You might want to discuss this side effect with your doctor. Tamoxifen can cause blood clots in the legs, not common but, it can happen.

Keep us updated,

Doris

.. Please contact your Doctor -- as soon as possible
    as suggested by Miss Doris --- it is so important not to brush off any side effort,
    or lingering pain, stiffness and spasms.

We are individuals -- so please make sure your Doctor addresses your concerns as
    well as provide you with alternative to your side efforts.

Good luck ...

Vicki Sam
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    leg cramps
    I had a dx similar to yours 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I have been on tamoxifen a little over 2 years & have lots of leg & foot cramps. I keep a heating pad handy to use, and that has helped. My onc doesn't seem too concerned about it. I am going to try that quinine, I think. I am pretty sure everything else is balanced, as I take multivitamins, etc.
    Good luck!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    VickiSam said:

.. Please contact your Doctor -- as soon as possible
    as suggested by Miss Doris --- it is so important not to brush off any side effort,
    or lingering pain, stiffness and spasms.

We are individuals -- so please make sure your Doctor addresses your concerns as
    well as provide you with alternative to your side efforts.

Good luck ...

Vicki Sam

I have to agree and say
    I have to agree and say please call your doctor. He needs to know any and all side effects that you might be having.

Good luck,

Noel
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    DCIS 2008 tamoxifenn for
    DCIS 2008 tamoxifenn for over 3 1/2 yrs now...I get very bad leg cramps at night..lately starting in feet (arch during day) My daughter says I need to drink more....

when I do get leg cramps legs sore/ achy for days

Denise
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

DCIS 2008 tamoxifenn for
    DCIS 2008 tamoxifenn for over 3 1/2 yrs now...I get very bad leg cramps at night..lately starting in feet (arch during day) My daughter says I need to drink more....

when I do get leg cramps legs sore/ achy for days

Denise

I have leg pain
    I have leg pain and am on Tamoxifin.I have varicose veins and that is why my legs hurt.I also know we can get clots but my legs are the same as they were for years.In fact having them taken care of after the holidays.If it wasn't for the fact I had vein problems before I would be worried.You Probably should call your doctor.

This month it has been 2 years since taking tamoxifin.Still have 3 years to go.

Keep us informed.

Lynn Smith