Generating Ideas for bad memory

Options
laughs_a_lot
laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
Ok here is the issue. Whodathunkit. After getting breast cancer I managed to miss a breast exam and went two months without a self exam. I blame it partially on bad memory and partially on menopause. Before menopause I would remember about 10 times out of 12 to do my monthly self exam. It was easy to remember to do it a day or 3 after my period. Once I went through menopause I had no reminder. I was remembering to do the exam about 4 times a year. Not good at all. Therefore I wanted to see how others remembered to do thier exams.

One thought I had was to always do the exam on Sunday. My logic is this. Sunday the week is winding down and so you often are taking stock of your week anyway. So If I try to remember to do it on Sunday it wouldn't matter if I forgot a Sunday. Yes I realize this would have me doing them weekly and is overkill, but since I am going to forget sometimes I am still likely to get it done once or twice a month. Also since I would not have the as many hormonal changes as a premenopausal woman, I would not likely find something that would be a false reason for concern. And if I did find something of concern, the next day the doctors office would be open. Right now I cannot think of another way to remember this important task any better. That is why I wanted to generate some ideas. Perhaps someone will reply with something that will work even better for me.

Comments

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I use lots of post its. And
    I use lots of post its. And I have a cell phone that can make alarms. When a new med is thrown in for the dog, I set a daily alarm on it with what I am suppose to do...dog meds..heck, i even use it for cooking, feeding the birds, etc.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    alarms
    I also use my cell phone alarm system to remind me of important things that need to be done. I use the calendar feature and set the alarm for exams, etc. In addition to that I mark it on my regular calendar that I keep in an area I see regularly.

RE
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Bad Memory?
    If you think you have it bad now that you don't have your period to remind you, think of ME! I've never had one. Now,before y'all tell me how lucky I am NOT to have one(thank you by the way), I know it's hard being a woman with all your "ragging" harmones; periods; pregnacies and menopause. I myself have forgotten to do my "self-exams" for months also. The only time I think about it is when I'm in the shower. They say that is the best time to do it. Even then I still forget to do them. I think,"I'll do it next time I'm in the shower." (You know how that goes.) Brain f**t anyone? Old age? Chemo brain? Can anyone say,"Alzheimer's." HAHAHA!!!

My oncoligest also gives me a full physical exam every month when I go to get my Zometa infussions. So I don't have to do many self exams myself. (Whow! I'm so lucky to be a guy.) Your idea to do them on Sundays makes perfect sense to me. The other ladies ideas of setting your phone alarms works,too.

(((HUGS))) & prayers, Robert
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Bad Memory?
    If you think you have it bad now that you don't have your period to remind you, think of ME! I've never had one. Now,before y'all tell me how lucky I am NOT to have one(thank you by the way), I know it's hard being a woman with all your "ragging" harmones; periods; pregnacies and menopause. I myself have forgotten to do my "self-exams" for months also. The only time I think about it is when I'm in the shower. They say that is the best time to do it. Even then I still forget to do them. I think,"I'll do it next time I'm in the shower." (You know how that goes.) Brain f**t anyone? Old age? Chemo brain? Can anyone say,"Alzheimer's." HAHAHA!!!

My oncoligest also gives me a full physical exam every month when I go to get my Zometa infussions. So I don't have to do many self exams myself. (Whow! I'm so lucky to be a guy.) Your idea to do them on Sundays makes perfect sense to me. The other ladies ideas of setting your phone alarms works,too.

Always..
    I always did mine on the fist day of the month...of course this was before chemo brain set in! Setting your cell phone is a great idea and writing it down on a " regular calendar"....or just keep a post it note in your bathroom....I always do mine in the shower...my gyn told me 20 years ago to check whilevin the shower..soap em up and you'd can feel things better..exactly how I found mine!

Hope this helps!
    HugsvNancy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RE said:

alarms
    I also use my cell phone alarm system to remind me of important things that need to be done. I use the calendar feature and set the alarm for exams, etc. In addition to that I mark it on my regular calendar that I keep in an area I see regularly.

RE

I need to buy stock in post
    I need to buy stock in post it notes! LOL I have them everywhere!

Jan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Always..
    I always did mine on the fist day of the month...of course this was before chemo brain set in! Setting your cell phone is a great idea and writing it down on a " regular calendar"....or just keep a post it note in your bathroom....I always do mine in the shower...my gyn told me 20 years ago to check whilevin the shower..soap em up and you'd can feel things better..exactly how I found mine!

Hope this helps!
    HugsvNancy

mAJW me too!
    Dpnt have to do

mAJW me too!
    Dpnt have to do em anymore, but dont forget to check where they used to be!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Bad Memory?

Exams
    Actually I remember the shower part easiest of all. One thing I did to to help remind me to do the laying down part of the exam is that I got an extra instruction card and put it on the head board of the bed. Perhaps seeing that will remind me. There is a calendar in the bedroom so perhaps putting an extra reminder there will help.

I seem to remember I need to do this at the most inopportune moments, like when driving the car. A bad time for this task for sure. I use electronics only for office related tasks so I might pass on that. But maybe a post it note by the hook in the bathroom where I hang my clean clothes would also be in order.
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options

Exams
    Actually I remember the shower part easiest of all. One thing I did to to help remind me to do the laying down part of the exam is that I got an extra instruction card and put it on the head board of the bed. Perhaps seeing that will remind me. There is a calendar in the bedroom so perhaps putting an extra reminder there will help.

I seem to remember I need to do this at the most inopportune moments, like when driving the car. A bad time for this task for sure. I use electronics only for office related tasks so I might pass on that. But maybe a post it note by the hook in the bathroom where I hang my clean clothes would also be in order.

memory what memory?
    Hi! It's just awful after menopause! If you want to pm me I can send you a shower card hanger I get at my docs office! It has the months and you just punch them out after you are done with your self exam! It is a constant reminder just hanging there!