Stage 2 lung cancer

gayletaps
gayletaps Member Posts: 26
I am new to this site and was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer. Anyone here have stage 2 because I would like to know what your treatment is. Thanks, Gayle

Comments

• catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    dear gayletaps
    I had stage Ia. Treatment can vary. Did you have a lobectomy? That is probably the best case senerio having the cancer surgically removed, with the possibility of chemo and/or radiation after. What has your Dr. said?
  • gayletaps
    catcon49 said:

dear gayletaps
    I had stage Ia. Treatment can vary. Did you have a lobectomy? That is probably the best case senerio having the cancer surgically removed, with the possibility of chemo and/or radiation after. What has your Dr. said?

stage 2
    My doctor says very few people come in at stage 2. Usually they come in at stage 3 or 4. I had my middle lobe removed. The size was T1 and of the four lymph nodes tested they found one close to the nodule had an agressive squamous cell which labeled my N1 which gives a diagnosis of stage 2. From this board it looks like no one is stage two. How was you stage determined?. I am half way through Chemo and they will give me a pet scan every six months for the first two years. Then once a year. That seems to be the protocal. But the doctor always confers with other oncologist. She is very good but she says only a few stage 2.
  • 2catsmom
    2catsmom Member Posts: 7
    gayletaps said:

stage 2
    My doctor says very few people come in at stage 2. Usually they come in at stage 3 or 4. I had my middle lobe removed. The size was T1 and of the four lymph nodes tested they found one close to the nodule had an agressive squamous cell which labeled my N1 which gives a diagnosis of stage 2. From this board it looks like no one is stage two. How was you stage determined?. I am half way through Chemo and they will give me a pet scan every six months for the first two years. Then once a year. That seems to be the protocal. But the doctor always confers with other oncologist. She is very good but she says only a few stage 2.

I was stage 2...
    but was originally dx'd as stage one until the path report came back after surgery and showed one lymph node involvement. I had my right lower lobe removed in August 2009. I tried chemo,couldn't handle it, but had the full course of radiation. I just had a CT scan a few weeks ago and I am thrilled to say it was negative! Since it's been over two years I will now have scans once a year. They never gave me an a or b dx, just stage 2. Best wishes to everyone in this group and keep fighting!
  • gayletaps
    2catsmom said:

I was stage 2...
    but was originally dx'd as stage one until the path report came back after surgery and showed one lymph node involvement. I had my right lower lobe removed in August 2009. I tried chemo,couldn't handle it, but had the full course of radiation. I just had a CT scan a few weeks ago and I am thrilled to say it was negative! Since it's been over two years I will now have scans once a year. They never gave me an a or b dx, just stage 2. Best wishes to everyone in this group and keep fighting!

stage 2
    Thanks you so much for your story. I really needed to read it. I was also stage 1 until after surgery. Then stage 2 because of one lymph node involvement as well. I am half way through my chemo, but they say radiation could do more harm than good.
  • trspaw
    trspaw Member Posts: 73
    gayletaps said:

stage 2
    Thanks you so much for your story. I really needed to read it. I was also stage 1 until after surgery. Then stage 2 because of one lymph node involvement as well. I am half way through my chemo, but they say radiation could do more harm than good.

I was diagnosed September 2,
    I was diagnosed September 2, 2010 with stage 2 Adenocarcinoma of the Lung, and had surgery September 21, 2010 to completely remove my left lung. I had a few complications following that, however am happy to say I am okay at this time. I underwent chemotherapy Gemzar and Texotere November 2010 - February 2011. Lost my hair and a lot of weight but I am okay and feel much better now.

Just hang in there and don't be scared by all the negative stuff you read out there. Try to find the positive stories like those of the people here. That was the biggest help to me in fighting off the panic.

God Bless, you are in my prayers
    Teresa
  • 2catsmom
    2catsmom Member Posts: 7
    gayletaps said:

stage 2

Hi Gayletaps,
    Sounds like we have similar stories! My lower right lobe was removed. I did well with the radiation but had a bad reaction to the chemo. My onc discontinued it after I ended up back in the hospital after one treatment. But even without the full course of chemo I have made a great recovery and, except for an annoying cough and what he calls post thoracotomy syndrome (still some intermittent pain on the right side) he's very pleased with my progress. When was your surgery and what did they do? I wish you the best with the rest of your chemo and radiation, if you have it. I look forward to following your progress, I know you'll do well. :)
  • MzzKimba2002
    MzzKimba2002 Member Posts: 10
    Staging
    I was given a stage 3 only because i had 1 lymph node that was postiive. I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and went directly into chemo/radiation treatments at the same time. I finished in Feb and have been cancer free on all my scans ever since. I pray to stay that way.
  • gayletaps

Staging
    I was given a stage 3 only because i had 1 lymph node that was postiive. I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and went directly into chemo/radiation treatments at the same time. I finished in Feb and have been cancer free on all my scans ever since. I pray to stay that way.

Thank you everyone
    Your comments and replies have been uplifting and positive. To answer some questions, I was diagnosed the day after labor day (9/6/2011). Had my middle lobe removed 9/29). Started Chem 10/24. Everythng happened so fast. First chemo Cisplan/Navelbine hit my kidney badly, so second treatment was Carboplatin/Taxol, due for third treatment on 12/19 and fourth treatment 1/10. Problem is I have a naturally low white count so I ended up in the hospital with nutropenia (lost my immune system completely). So I will get nupagin(sp???) right after my chemo nest round. Hope that solves my immune system crash. Other than that, I think I will come through this. When you hear about people getting chemo, you just hear about losing hair, losing weight, and nausea. What they don't tell you about is how toxic the stuff is to your entire system. I am glad to hear everyone seems to get through it. Although I am wondering why they aren't following up with radiation. They say it will do more harm than good. But it seem most people at these stages are getting it. I will ask why not me and get a better understanding as to why they aren't recommending it. Thanks again for all your comments. Gayle
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    gayletaps said:

Thank you everyone
    Your comments and replies have been uplifting and positive. To answer some questions, I was diagnosed the day after labor day (9/6/2011). Had my middle lobe removed 9/29). Started Chem 10/24. Everythng happened so fast. First chemo Cisplan/Navelbine hit my kidney badly, so second treatment was Carboplatin/Taxol, due for third treatment on 12/19 and fourth treatment 1/10. Problem is I have a naturally low white count so I ended up in the hospital with nutropenia (lost my immune system completely). So I will get nupagin(sp???) right after my chemo nest round. Hope that solves my immune system crash. Other than that, I think I will come through this. When you hear about people getting chemo, you just hear about losing hair, losing weight, and nausea. What they don't tell you about is how toxic the stuff is to your entire system. I am glad to hear everyone seems to get through it. Although I am wondering why they aren't following up with radiation. They say it will do more harm than good. But it seem most people at these stages are getting it. I will ask why not me and get a better understanding as to why they aren't recommending it. Thanks again for all your comments. Gayle

stage 2b here
    Hello and welcome, Im Mike from Nebraska,diagnosed age 53 with stage 2b squamous non small lung cancer in 2005. Had right lung removed along with 17 lymph nodes which 2 shown to be effected. Followed by 4 rounds of gemzar and carboplatin chemotherephy. So far all my scans have looked good. Tommorrow I get the results of my yearly cat scan and I always get scananxiety this time of year. I hope and pray the very best for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Everyone here understands your fear and concern.
  • gayletaps

stage 2b here
    Hello and welcome, Im Mike from Nebraska,diagnosed age 53 with stage 2b squamous non small lung cancer in 2005. Had right lung removed along with 17 lymph nodes which 2 shown to be effected. Followed by 4 rounds of gemzar and carboplatin chemotherephy. So far all my scans have looked good. Tommorrow I get the results of my yearly cat scan and I always get scananxiety this time of year. I hope and pray the very best for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Everyone here understands your fear and concern.

Thank you beatlemike
    I read your note, closed down the site feeling very happy and positive about your note. I then thought about your note all night and decided to get back on line and write back and say how much hope you provided me. A new word for me (scananxiety). I'll always think about you over the years when I have to face scananxiety because no doubt that I will. I can think it with a smile. I'll say a little prayer for your positive results. Thank you sooooooooooooo much. Gayle
  • gayletaps

stage 2b here

Thank you beatlemike
    I read your note, closed down the site feeling very happy and positive about your note. I then thought about your note all night and decided to get back on line and write back and say how much hope you provided me. A new word for me (scananxiety). I'll always think about you over the years when I have to face scananxiety because no doubt that I will. I can think it with a smile. I'll say a little prayer for your positive results. Thank you sooooooooooooo much. Gayle
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    gayletaps said:

Thank you beatlemike

quick note
    Hi Gayle, Just a quick note to let you know my scan results were NED(no evidence of disease). So this makes 6 years for me that I have recieved great news from the time I finished treatment. The first year I was diagnosed I truly believed that if I would see the upcoming Christmas that I would be lucky. There are many long term lung cancer survivors. So dont you ever give up hope and keep your faith. May God bless you and Merry Christmas!
  • ellenm4
    ellenm4 Member Posts: 124

quick note
    Hi Gayle, Just a quick note to let you know my scan results were NED(no evidence of disease). So this makes 6 years for me that I have recieved great news from the time I finished treatment. The first year I was diagnosed I truly believed that if I would see the upcoming Christmas that I would be lucky. There are many long term lung cancer survivors. So dont you ever give up hope and keep your faith. May God bless you and Merry Christmas!

gives hope
    All of your post gives hope to all of us. Dec 7 had VATS done left upper lobe. Was told 2 weeks later I had lung cancer and was T3. Dec 28 had them go behind the breast plate to check lymph noodes. Surgeon said all looks good, but we are now waiting for the labs come back. I also had a port installed. These 2 surgeries have taken down my system quite a bit, but I am trying to recover as much as possible before going back later this week. I am sure they will give me my stage at this time and get me ready for chemo. This is my 2nd bout with cancer. 2008 I had stage 2B breast cancer in the left. Opted out of chemo but did rads. All was good until this. I feel I have no choice to opt out of chem this time. I just want to say Thank You to everyone that post encouraging words and their stories. It does help, we cry and share our lives here and it means a lot! I forgot what it was like to take it one day at a time and live like today might be your last....but I am remembering it well now! None of us know when our day will be, but we must love and live to the fullest no matter how hard. I look at a rose different, noticing the layers, the smell and the true beauty of it all. This time I never want to forget how to live. God Bless you all and again Thank You for being there!!
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member

quick note

Beatlemike
    Hello and Happy New Year, great news on your scan. This is why I come to read the posts, they give me so much hope. Have a great year. Lori
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    z said:

Beatlemike
    Hello and Happy New Year, great news on your scan. This is why I come to read the posts, they give me so much hope. Have a great year. Lori

HiGayle
    How are you doing? I had no lymph node involvement that made me stage 1a. That was 3 1/2 years ago. I'm doing very well. I also had Lower right lobe removed. Staging depends on size of tumor and lymph nodes involved. I am scheduled for my scan today, Dr. appt 10th. I still am scared while waiting for results. You have a right to be scare, we all are. But try not to let it consume you. And it gets a little easier as time goes on. I still get scanxiety, but only when it is close to testing time. I try not to think about it all the time. God bless

cathy
  • gayletaps
    catcon49 said:

HiGayle
    How are you doing? I had no lymph node involvement that made me stage 1a. That was 3 1/2 years ago. I'm doing very well. I also had Lower right lobe removed. Staging depends on size of tumor and lymph nodes involved. I am scheduled for my scan today, Dr. appt 10th. I still am scared while waiting for results. You have a right to be scare, we all are. But try not to let it consume you. And it gets a little easier as time goes on. I still get scanxiety, but only when it is close to testing time. I try not to think about it all the time. God bless

cathy

Thanks for asking
    Hi Cathy, thanks for asking about my progress. I have my last chemo treatment on Monday 1/9/2012. I currently feel pretty strong. My pilates instructor has been coming by my house for the past 8 weeks, and I have been doing my qigong and tai chi regularly. I'm walking hills with my dog. I just hope my scans reflect how I feel. I'm not "religious" but I am spiritual, and I talk to the almighty on a regular basis. This site has been tremendous for me, and if I get through this in good shape, I will be a cheer leader for all that come after. giving you my best, gayle
  • gayletaps
    Question about Hair Loss
    Hair loss is the result of chemo theraphy WORKING in the head killing cells non cancerous and hopefully cancerous. It is possible that you can lose your hair and the chemo still not work?. I am reading here that people go through chemo and it doesn't work some time. Is losing hair a sign that is works? What have you heard about that...anyone. Thanks, Gayletaps
  • gayletaps
    Question about Hair Loss
    Hair loss is the result of chemo theraphy WORKING in the head killing cells non cancerous and hopefully cancerous. It is possible that you can lose your hair and the chemo still not work?. I am reading here that people go through chemo and it doesn't work some time. Is losing hair a sign that is works? What have you heard about that...anyone. Thanks, Gayletaps
  • gayletaps
    Question about Hair Loss
  • gayletaps
    Question about Hair Loss