Happy Neck News

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
I saw my trusted neurosurgeon yesterday. He is the one who worked a miracle on my lower back when my facet joints disintegrated and caused my vertebrae to slip out. This caused severe nerve pain. I went from being able to walk only short bursts without severe pain to walking as much as I want. That is a true medical miracle to me! Yes, I can do a shopping marathon again ;-) and hike Glacier for as long as I want.

Anyway, I digress (as ususal). He said that he thinks my neck pain will be improved by changing my sleep position and a short course of NSAIDS. I have to sleep on my back with a very flat (or no) pillow. Who would have thought?

No evidence of cancer and no evidence of nerve involvement. It is those pesky facets again, but, so far, they are in pretty good shape.

I tried to sleep on my back last night and kept waking on my side. I have always slept on my stomach (the worst position for facet disease) or my side. Not sure how I am going to switch to my back easily.

Suggestions Pink Sisters?

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Tuck in Blankets?
    Hi,

It will be hard if you share a bed with hubby. I use a cpap device and learned not to move. The hose did limit my range of motion. I tuck in the blankets very tight so there is little room to maneuver without it waking me up. I don't know what you will do with the husband though as you would only be able to tuck in one side of the blankets.

Happy for you that a simple solution will be helping you out.

Best,

Doris
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    SIROD said:

Tuck in Blankets?
    Hi,

It will be hard if you share a bed with hubby. I use a cpap device and learned not to move. The hose did limit my range of motion. I tuck in the blankets very tight so there is little room to maneuver without it waking me up. I don't know what you will do with the husband though as you would only be able to tuck in one side of the blankets.

Happy for you that a simple solution will be helping you out.

Best,

Doris

Amazing..
    The medical " fixes" ...first TUMS ( which apparently worked) now sleeping on your back!....so glad the problem isn't serious and I wish you luck on trying to sleep on your back...from one stomach sleeper to another! With each pregnancy I couldn't wait to get back on my back....no pun intended...there's nothing I can think of that will KEEP you on your back once you fall asleep..many times I have been amazed to realize when I wake up that I'm on my back....let us know how you do..

Hugs, Nancy
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    MAJW said:

Amazing..
    The medical " fixes" ...first TUMS ( which apparently worked) now sleeping on your back!....so glad the problem isn't serious and I wish you luck on trying to sleep on your back...from one stomach sleeper to another! With each pregnancy I couldn't wait to get back on my back....no pun intended...there's nothing I can think of that will KEEP you on your back once you fall asleep..many times I have been amazed to realize when I wake up that I'm on my back....let us know how you do..

Hugs, Nancy

So glad you can walk pain free again and with practice, you'll sleep on your back. I too am a side sleeper and I wake up stiff and sore. It's tough relearning how to sleep. But you've given me an idea to try this myself.

Place 2 body pillows on each side.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sea60 said:

So glad you can walk pain free again and with practice, you'll sleep on your back. I too am a side sleeper and I wake up stiff and sore. It's tough relearning how to sleep. But you've given me an idea to try this myself.

Place 2 body pillows on each side.

Hugs,

Sylvia

I had the same thoughts as
    I had the same thoughts as Sylvia. I now sleep on my back because of my surgeries and prolonged drains. Now i cant sleep otherwise. So I am thinking, the pillows will make it difficult to move onto your side. So glad for the facet result!!!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    OH HAPPY DAY!
    That is most certainly FANTASTIC news! Not good that you are in pain but great that it is not cancer! Not sure how to get you to sleep on your bike, I do recall when my mom had back and neck issues they had her sleep with a huge pillow under her knees but I have no idea if that is helpful its just something that came to mind. Let us know how you do with the new sleeping prescription.

Hugs,

RE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    RE said:

OH HAPPY DAY!
    That is most certainly FANTASTIC news! Not good that you are in pain but great that it is not cancer! Not sure how to get you to sleep on your bike, I do recall when my mom had back and neck issues they had her sleep with a huge pillow under her knees but I have no idea if that is helpful its just something that came to mind. Let us know how you do with the new sleeping prescription.

Hugs,

RE

...doing my hap hap happy dance for you, CC
    -- no evidence of disease -- words that light up my day!

Good luck find a position, pillow or tempurpedic mattress that
    will alleviate your discomfort .. hurry, then you can do the
    hap hap happy dance with me .. or if you prefer, a marathon
    shopping expedition -- !

Vicki Sam
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Great News!!
    Time to celebrate.

Good luck changing your position, you will need Danny to wrap you up like a burrito so you cant move! Sweet Dreams....
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Such happy, happy news!!!
    Such happy, happy news!!! Yippee!!!

I agree with the pillow theory. But if sleeping on your back is all it takes to get rid of the neck pain, it's worth the inconvenience of learning how. Did your doc have any suggestions?

Hugs,

Linda
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    ok I think i have a idea
    Tuck in on one side. Have hubby sleep next to you on the other side. In fact have him sleep on top of your blankets and then he can cover up with a comforter of his own. That will keep you tucked in tight.