im new,sadly. has anyone started their treatment with hormone theapy?

trixytwo
trixytwo Member Posts: 59
I actually have a small spot on my shoulder as well. Hormones and bone strenghting meds, then maybe radiation. Im 56.

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Welcome!
    I am sorry you're here, but glad you found this place.

I did chemo, radiation, and currently taking tamoxifen and vit D supplements. About your shoulder, did you have it checked? What type of c were you dx with and what stage? I had high grade (3) which is why I got the chemo, plus I was 32.

I think you'll do great with radiation. People have different reactions from hormone therapies (if you meant ER+ meds for c).

Welcome to this great site and I hope to see more posts from you.

Hugs
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Trixtytwo
    Welcome, though I'm sorry for the reason you found us. Just as breast cancers are different, so is the treatment. I had surgery as my first step, but I'm sure others will chime in with their treatment plan.

Sue
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I hate that you are dealing
    I hate that you are dealing with the beast, but I am glad that you found this site. You will get great support here.

I have bone mets to my ribs. I have been on a bone strengthening drug (was on zometa, now on xgeva) and hormone therapy (first arimidex, now faslodex) since April 2009. I also had a course of radiation to my ribs in 2009. I am doing well.

Good luck; I am rooting for you.
  • trixytwo

Welcome!
    I am sorry you're here, but glad you found this place.

I did chemo, radiation, and currently taking tamoxifen and vit D supplements. About your shoulder, did you have it checked? What type of c were you dx with and what stage? I had high grade (3) which is why I got the chemo, plus I was 32.

I think you'll do great with radiation. People have different reactions from hormone therapies (if you meant ER+ meds for c).

Welcome to this great site and I hope to see more posts from you.

Hugs

The PET scan showed a spot,
    The PET scan showed a spot, had it biopsied and it is breast cancer. So that puts me at stage 4. Ductal and lobual. I just find it odd that they want to treat with hormones. I get that Im Er and Pr + in very high levels. Who knows?
  • trixytwo

I hate that you are dealing
    I hate that you are dealing with the beast, but I am glad that you found this site. You will get great support here.

I have bone mets to my ribs. I have been on a bone strengthening drug (was on zometa, now on xgeva) and hormone therapy (first arimidex, now faslodex) since April 2009. I also had a course of radiation to my ribs in 2009. I am doing well.

Good luck; I am rooting for you.

Thanks Cyn
    I am so glad you are doing well. Did you have surgery or chemo as well?
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    trixytwo said:

The PET scan showed a spot,
    The PET scan showed a spot, had it biopsied and it is breast cancer. So that puts me at stage 4. Ductal and lobual. I just find it odd that they want to treat with hormones. I get that Im Er and Pr + in very high levels. Who knows?

Welcome to this great site
    Welcome to this great site trixytwo! All of our cancers and treatments vary. None of us are the same. I am not sure why you would be started with hormone therapy, but, if you trust your doctors, just know they are doing what is best for you.

Good luck!
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Some times they will start
    Some times they will start Hormone Therapy first to see if they can shrink the cancer if its estrogen fed i didn't but had a bil.mastectomy so didn't go on Tamoxifen till after surgery no rads or chemo or reconstruction as i am 69 and didn't want a log down time.The best to you on your journey remember we are always here for you Hugs Frankie
  • Frankie Shannon
    sorry hit button twice

sorry hit button twice
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Probably Not Really Hormones
    Is your doctor prescribing Tamoxifen or an Aromatase Inhibitor? Tamoxifen is for pre-menopausal women and Aromatase Inhibitors (Arimedex, Femara, Aromasin) are for post-menopausal women. For cancers that feed on hormones (which is what ER+ and PR+ mean), these drugs cut off the food source. Aromatase inhibitors suppress the production of hormones, which is already low in post-menopausal women, so there is not so much food for the tumor floating around in your system. For pre-menopausal women, it would take too much medicine to stop production, so they use Tamoxifen, which looks like estrogen to the body but doesn't feed the cancer cells. So it attaches to the cell in the place where estrogen would ordinarily land, and there is no place for estrogen to attach, and the cell starves. Meanwhile, Tamoxifen is acting like estrogen in the rest of your body, giving you hot flashes and, rarely, causing trouble in your uterus. Aromatase inhibitors also cause hot flashes, as well as some of Tamoxifen's other side effects, but I don't know as much about how they work.

If anyone thinks I got this wrong, please chime in.
  • trixytwo
    mollieb said:

Is your doctor prescribing Tamoxifen or an Aromatase Inhibitor? Tamoxifen is for pre-menopausal women and Aromatase Inhibitors (Arimedex, Femara, Aromasin) are for post-menopausal women. For cancers that feed on hormones (which is what ER+ and PR+ mean), these drugs cut off the food source. Aromatase inhibitors suppress the production of hormones, which is already low in post-menopausal women, so there is not so much food for the tumor floating around in your system. For pre-menopausal women, it would take too much medicine to stop production, so they use Tamoxifen, which looks like estrogen to the body but doesn't feed the cancer cells. So it attaches to the cell in the place where estrogen would ordinarily land, and there is no place for estrogen to attach, and the cell starves. Meanwhile, Tamoxifen is acting like estrogen in the rest of your body, giving you hot flashes and, rarely, causing trouble in your uterus. Aromatase inhibitors also cause hot flashes, as well as some of Tamoxifen's other side effects, but I don't know as much about how they work.

thanks mollieb
    I'm post meno,and she is giving me femara and z
    ometa, (aromatase and bone strengthner). Start Friday. Hugs.
  • Frankie Shannon
    mollieb said:

I am post menopausal and am
    I am post menopausal and am on Tamoxifen so it depends on your Dr.Hugs Frankie
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member

I am post menopausal and am
    I am post menopausal and am on Tamoxifen so it depends on your Dr.Hugs Frankie

Tamoxifen
    Tamoxifen is a hormonal therapy and are prescribe by oncologist for those who are post menopausal too.

The Aromatase Inhibitors can't be prescribe unless one is post menopause, take a shot to shut down the ovaries or have them remove. That is why Tamoxifen is prescribe first to pre menopausal women.

Best to you Frankie on your journey,

Doris
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    trixytwo said:

thanks mollieb
    I'm post meno,and she is giving me femara and z
    ometa, (aromatase and bone strengthner). Start Friday. Hugs.

Bisphosphonates
    Zometa is a good drug to use to help make bone stronger when on Aromatase Inhibitors. When the AI's first came out, they were not aware of the fractures they caused. I had a fall while using Arimidex, a cousin of Femara. I didn't hurt myself, got up, brush myself off and thought no more about it. Then my back began to hurt, I developed 3 vertebra fractures from that fall. Then I went on a bisphosphonates (Fosamax, Boniva, Aredia, Zometa) and then developed uveitis several years later. My bones went from osteoporosis back to osteopenia. Now I can't take any at all.

After my 1st recurrence I began AI's and they kept NED for years. Wishing you a good journey on this drug.

Best,

Doris
  • carsun48
    carsun48 Member Posts: 3
    SIROD said:

Tamoxifen
    Tamoxifen is a hormonal therapy and are prescribe by oncologist for those who are post menopausal too.

The Aromatase Inhibitors can't be prescribe unless one is post menopause, take a shot to shut down the ovaries or have them remove. That is why Tamoxifen is prescribe first to pre menopausal women.

Doris

herceptin+
    I have been in treatment for 6 years now. Was stage 4 breast cancer. Went thru the chemo, radiation, and second chemo treatment....both breast removed. Now I have been on herceptin treatments for 5 years which is a for HER2/neu positive cancer cells. I feel this drug has kept me in remission. Hope you can check this drug out with your doctor and see if it will work for you also.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carsun48 said:

herceptin+
    I have been in treatment for 6 years now. Was stage 4 breast cancer. Went thru the chemo, radiation, and second chemo treatment....both breast removed. Now I have been on herceptin treatments for 5 years which is a for HER2/neu positive cancer cells. I feel this drug has kept me in remission. Hope you can check this drug out with your doctor and see if it will work for you also.

I happy you found us ... sorry the reason -- why.
    I will add you to my pray list -- hoping that you have guidance and strength during your journey.

Ask questions, voice your concerns and never give in, or give up. Options, and 2nd opinions are your new best friend -- just my humble advise. Research, read and prepare yourself for the wildest roller coaster ride -- .

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    SIROD said:

Tamoxifen

Doris

I just want to welcome you
    I just want to welcome you here! There's a great supportive group of pink sisters that will help you thru this.

Hugs, Jan