First Zometa Infusion...

MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
Had my first infusion of Zometa this morning...went off with out a hitch! Chemo nurses at my cancer center are awesome! Now for the interesting part....one of the side effects is flu like symptoms...seems there's a "miracle drug" they've found to combat this....drum roll.........it's TUMS!!! She went into a long discussion of how this works....she said to take 2 after breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bedtime! I hand some in my purse..due to all the meds I take..popped 2 right then...and to take them for the next couple of days....so I guess tomorrow we shall see if it prevents the flu like symptoms....

I'll let you know!
Hugs, Nancy

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Hmmmm...claratin for
    Hmmmm...claratin for neulasta and tums for Zometa...I wonder what other simple solutions are out there that we don't know about yet? Let us know if it works.

Hugs,

Linda
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Zometa Infusion
    Hello,Nancy. I had my first Zometa infusion back in January this year and once a month since then. No one told me what the side effects would be and so far I've not had anything to complain about. I've had no bone aches or flu symptoms in all this time(unless I've just not taken notice of it because I'm a guy and just don't pay attention to these things). LOL. I hope that your side affects are bearable or non-exsistant. I will ask my chemo nurses on my next visit about the miracle drug "TUMS". LOL.

Hugs, Robert
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Tums helped me with it also,
    Tums helped me with it also, and claritan for the Neulesta. Good luck, tums is so much better than the calcium horse pills.
    Carol
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Nancy, I am grinning ear to
    Nancy, I am grinning ear to ear that so far so good! That's how it was for me. I literally left the infusion center thinking, "Why did I drag Danny here?" and "Dang, now I have to take him home because I know he won't want to go to the mall."

Same thing now with faslodex and xgeva. I get my shots and run out of there. So far, so good for me too!
  • CypressCynthia

Hmmmm...claratin for
    Hmmmm...claratin for neulasta and tums for Zometa...I wonder what other simple solutions are out there that we don't know about yet? Let us know if it works.

Hugs,

Linda

Don't forget a non-alcohol
    Don't forget a non-alcohol mouthwash twice a day to prevent mouth sores. My dad suggested this one, but not before I had been to 3 different dermatologists and many separate steroid treatments. It must have been Old School medicine?

I know it is anecdotal, but the mouthwash routine has worked a miracle for me. I've now been about 15 years without a mouth sore :-) and I used to get 40 or more at a time (auto-immune aphthous stomatitis). No dermatologist ever mentioned this.
  • CypressCynthia

Zometa Infusion
    Hello,Nancy. I had my first Zometa infusion back in January this year and once a month since then. No one told me what the side effects would be and so far I've not had anything to complain about. I've had no bone aches or flu symptoms in all this time(unless I've just not taken notice of it because I'm a guy and just don't pay attention to these things). LOL. I hope that your side affects are bearable or non-exsistant. I will ask my chemo nurses on my next visit about the miracle drug "TUMS". LOL.

Hugs, Robert

Robert, welcome to the club
    Robert, welcome to the club that nonone wants to belong to, but we're happy you're hear. It is so nice to have some male voices here too. One of the docs that I work with has a family riddled with male breast cancer.

I don't know if you caught it, but someone else asked me to write about what I knew about zometa, so I did. I took it for almost 3 years and am now on xgeva which is very similar. I will bump it up for you.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hooray!! I get Zometa too~
    Hooray!! I get Zometa too~ after my chemo and the investigational drug..and although I don't take TUMS, I must say that I have never had flu-like symptoms, anyway! My knees tend to ache a bit ...but no illness. I have chemo on Friday~ I will ask about the TUMS. I chew ice chips and freeze my fingers half off during chemo with ice chips to ward off neuropathy, I bite vitamin E capsules and leave the oil in my mouth to scare mouth sores away, I take Aleve and Claritin for the neupogen~ why not take TUMS a well?? LOL LOL
    Thanks, Nancy~ this is a great tip!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

Hooray!! I get Zometa too~
    Hooray!! I get Zometa too~ after my chemo and the investigational drug..and although I don't take TUMS, I must say that I have never had flu-like symptoms, anyway! My knees tend to ache a bit ...but no illness. I have chemo on Friday~ I will ask about the TUMS. I chew ice chips and freeze my fingers half off during chemo with ice chips to ward off neuropathy, I bite vitamin E capsules and leave the oil in my mouth to scare mouth sores away, I take Aleve and Claritin for the neupogen~ why not take TUMS a well?? LOL LOL
    Thanks, Nancy~ this is a great tip!

I got all the side effects
    I got all the side effects from zometa lessening each time. I get one more so I will try it!