Starting chem Wednesday and my Chemo Class is Thursday, What should I know??

Is there anything I should do to prepare or have going in on Wednesday? It went well. I did have positive nodes. They did ct scans with and without contrast on the 30th and I had a mediport put in on the 1st. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be prepared. Thank you all and thank you for all the info and prayers up till now, I've posted a couple times before this one.

Thanks,
Becky

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    For me, the anxiety was far
    For me, the anxiety was far worse than the actual treatment. If your doc has prescribed an anti-anxiety med take it Tues night and Wed morning before treatment, I had ativan for this.

Drink lots and lots of water. Then drink some more water. It will help prepare your body for the chemo and help flush it through after the infusion.

For me, I was told to bring stuff to read or laptop etc...but because of all the meds I couldn't focus so I never read anything. My center had warmed blankets, so that wasn't needed either. Some people bring snacks. Do you know how long you will be there? That would make a difference in what you need to bring.

Be sure you know who to call (besides the pink sisters here) with questions about side effects. Know who to call after hours, and what should warrant a trip to the ER. I was told to be sure and notify my docs about side effects because whatever came up they would have a way to ease that side effect.

Ask the chemo nurses all your questions, they have great insight into the drugs and how to ease side effects also.

I hope this helps, and please come back to let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Becky,
    Like Linda said,

Becky,
    Like Linda said, drink lots of water prior to an after. Well actually I drank extra water for the 5 months of chemo. One friend suggested Jamba Juice for during the chemo to prevent mouth sores so I did that and never had a mouth sore. I also started the day with a heavy protein breakfast. Extra protein will help your cells recover from the chemo.
    "Just get me through this" is a book I ordered just before chemo. It has all kinds of practical advise for all different treatments.
    Also, as Linda said, the night before the first chemo is probably the toughest. Once you start and know what to expect it will be easier.
    I brought a DVD player and my sister. Most the time we just chatted or napped.

All the best,
    Cindy
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    chemo trip
    I do take snacks - that way I can get some much loved red seedless grapes or something that sounds good to me. Also I would take water. If you have an MP3 player that you have loaded with what YOU like to listen to. I have taken crocheting to do - which I could only do for a period of time until I felt "dopey" from benadryl. I have taken books to read and haven't had difficulty reading.

Some people sleep through chemo - there's lots of sleep inducing drugs. I never slept - I didn't want to miss anything! (Hmm, much like when I was a child and wouldn't nap)People would be surprised to know how much sleeping, how much eating and how much laughing goes on in the infusion room.

It is absolutely not as "bad" as your own fear of it makes you think it is.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Chemo before Education?
    I am surprised your Chemo Education is after first infusion. Mine was the hour, one on one with the Educator before the first A/C and then again before my first Taxol but it was only 1/2 hr as much of the overall into is the same - just different 'stuff' to learn about.

Different Centers are different so I can only tell you about mine.

On A/C, I had an open front cubicle with a curtain that could be pulled across if you wanted, a cable TV, stand to put stuff on, a chair for someone if someone goes with you and a reclinner. There was also a thermostat for each cubicle so you could warm it more or cool it more. On Taxol I got a bed room which was a glass front room with hospital bed (as I always went "nighty-night" as soon as they started the IV Benadrly), a thermostat, cable TV and extra chair. They had lots of stuff to eat (snackies/fruit/soup/etc.)and drink (fruit drink/tea/coffeed/cocoa/water/etc.) That all you to do was ask for. They had warmed blankets for you too. (I was always cold so I got lots of warmed bankies and the thermostat turned up). Each cubicle/room had a camera that was hooked up to the Nurses Station so you were visually monitored at all times (you had a call button also). They also kept you hooked up to the BP machine all the timed.

If your facility does not have numbing spray then ask for EMLA cream to numb your port area - it HURTS (for me anyway as I had it done once without any numbing). I always had blood work before each infusion and saw Dr before each A/C ( 4 every other week) and before every other Taxol (12 weekly Taxol.

You will be give meds before infusion and probably for several days after - be sure you take them. Drink LOTS of water.

Susan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    We are your future, you are our past....
    As with most things, oftentimes the first time in the chemo center is the worst~ emotionally speaking, anyway. It made it all real~ even though I had had surgery and knew chemo was part of my future. I actually cried like a baby when they "hooked me up" ( as in IV! lol)
    As everyone has said: KEEP HYDRATED! Drink water before your chemo, during chemo and after~ it is fine to have to get up and go to the bathroom during chemo~ best to keep hydrated and flush your kidneys and your system. The chemo nurses won't mind, honestly! Speaking of chemo nurses, they are saint in scrubs...they know it all, ( in a good way!) and are caring, loving and helpful.
    Although my chemo center has warm blankets, I take my own with me~ it feels good knowing it is my personal security blanket. And, one of the Kindred Spirits here on the boards made it for me just for chemo, so how could I not take it??? I truly feel connected to all of us when I am wrapped in it.
    Chemo can also cause neuropathy in the fingers and toes. It has helped some patients to keep cold~ I can't put my toes in a bag of ice during the infusions, but I do take 2 baggies of ice chips with me~ I hold my fingers in one until I can't stand it any longer~ I dry them on a hand towel which I also bring with me and pop them in the ice again. The other ice I chew on to keep my outh cold; it has been known to stave off mouth sores. So far, no neuropathy or mouth sores.
    What else? Have an instant read thermometer at home...all bets are off as far as chemo is concerned. Things we would have taken Tyenol for and forgotten all about don't apply during chemo. Our white counts get depleted, and a temp of 100 can signal the beginnings of an infection which you will not be able to fight off without antibiotics. My throat got scratchy after my first chemo; my oncologist prescribed me Zithromycin immediately.
    I also take snacks, and crossword puzzles. Reading, which I love, is difficult; but I want to keep my mind active. So, crosswords it is! I have taken my portable CD player with my guided imagery cancer CDs; I had great intentions of zoning out and listening to them. So far that hasn't happened. I get caught up in what is happening with me, the people who come and go around me, and the laughing we do! We share recipes and talk about wigs etc etc. Quite the social club none of us wanted to join...but we muddle through with courage and humor. I trust you will as well. Aside from inquiring of all of us who have walked this path before you, please know that this is NO TIME TO BE STOIC!!! If there is anything you are concerned about~ if you have diarrhea or are constipated, have a tiny elevation in temp or you just feel "off"~ CALL your cancer center! It doesn't matter if your oncologist is not there, or if it is 3AM on a Saturday~ Call! Call! Call! Someone will be there for you. No one, least of all our cancer team expects us to carry on and not be afraid or at least concerned when things don't seem quite right. There is nothing they haven't heard, and they are all more than willing to soothe our anxious hearts and minds, no matter what time of day and night! So many women are nurturers and caregivers in everyday life~put that aside for the time being, hard as it may be and let yourself be taken care of!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    chenheart said:

We are your future, you are our past....
    As with most things, oftentimes the first time in the chemo center is the worst~ emotionally speaking, anyway. It made it all real~ even though I had had surgery and knew chemo was part of my future. I actually cried like a baby when they "hooked me up" ( as in IV! lol)
    As everyone has said: KEEP HYDRATED! Drink water before your chemo, during chemo and after~ it is fine to have to get up and go to the bathroom during chemo~ best to keep hydrated and flush your kidneys and your system. The chemo nurses won't mind, honestly! Speaking of chemo nurses, they are saint in scrubs...they know it all, ( in a good way!) and are caring, loving and helpful.
    Although my chemo center has warm blankets, I take my own with me~ it feels good knowing it is my personal security blanket. And, one of the Kindred Spirits here on the boards made it for me just for chemo, so how could I not take it??? I truly feel connected to all of us when I am wrapped in it.
    Chemo can also cause neuropathy in the fingers and toes. It has helped some patients to keep cold~ I can't put my toes in a bag of ice during the infusions, but I do take 2 baggies of ice chips with me~ I hold my fingers in one until I can't stand it any longer~ I dry them on a hand towel which I also bring with me and pop them in the ice again. The other ice I chew on to keep my outh cold; it has been known to stave off mouth sores. So far, no neuropathy or mouth sores.
    What else? Have an instant read thermometer at home...all bets are off as far as chemo is concerned. Things we would have taken Tyenol for and forgotten all about don't apply during chemo. Our white counts get depleted, and a temp of 100 can signal the beginnings of an infection which you will not be able to fight off without antibiotics. My throat got scratchy after my first chemo; my oncologist prescribed me Zithromycin immediately.
    I also take snacks, and crossword puzzles. Reading, which I love, is difficult; but I want to keep my mind active. So, crosswords it is! I have taken my portable CD player with my guided imagery cancer CDs; I had great intentions of zoning out and listening to them. So far that hasn't happened. I get caught up in what is happening with me, the people who come and go around me, and the laughing we do! We share recipes and talk about wigs etc etc. Quite the social club none of us wanted to join...but we muddle through with courage and humor. I trust you will as well. Aside from inquiring of all of us who have walked this path before you, please know that this is NO TIME TO BE STOIC!!! If there is anything you are concerned about~ if you have diarrhea or are constipated, have a tiny elevation in temp or you just feel "off"~ CALL your cancer center! It doesn't matter if your oncologist is not there, or if it is 3AM on a Saturday~ Call! Call! Call! Someone will be there for you. No one, least of all our cancer team expects us to carry on and not be afraid or at least concerned when things don't seem quite right. There is nothing they haven't heard, and they are all more than willing to soothe our anxious hearts and minds, no matter what time of day and night! So many women are nurturers and caregivers in everyday life~put that aside for the time being, hard as it may be and let yourself be taken care of!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I'll add..
    Take your anti nausea medications faithfully!!!!!!! Don't wait until you are nausead....it's easier to prevent nausea or vomiting than get it under control if it starts... I took them faithfully, starting the day before each infusion, and for 3 days following each infusion.... I never had the first wave of nausea...thankfully!

I wish you the best...for me, walking through the door at the cancer center for the first infusion was the hardest!

Keep posting with any questions and updates....we, on this board, have seen it, done it, felt it, walked it, endured it, been there, done that! A wealth of info!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

I'll add..
    Take your anti nausea medications faithfully!!!!!!! Don't wait until you are nausead....it's easier to prevent nausea or vomiting than get it under control if it starts... I took them faithfully, starting the day before each infusion, and for 3 days following each infusion.... I never had the first wave of nausea...thankfully!

I wish you the best...for me, walking through the door at the cancer center for the first infusion was the hardest!

Keep posting with any questions and updates....we, on this board, have seen it, done it, felt it, walked it, endured it, been there, done that! A wealth of info!
    Hugs, Nancy

I mostly listened to my IPOD
    I mostly listened to my IPOD and slept. I just was pretty quiet. some people also chewed ice during chemo to avoid mouth sores. I was freezing because they gaveme extra fluid. Eat what appeals to you. drink fluids keep up on your nausea meds. dont hesitate to call your docs if you need them. Remember this too shall pass!!!!and that we are here!
  • MNGirlyGirl
    MNGirlyGirl Member Posts: 14
    Wishing you the best with
    Wishing you the best with your chemo. I start my on January 5. Lots and lots of great advice given! Please let us know how it went when you are feeling up to it.

Hugs,
    Kathy