I am newly diagnosed

I was diagnosed last week and my doctor ordered an MRI to rule out the left breast and lymph nodes. Left is clear but lymph node is suspicious. Dr. called me yesterday to do a nother biopsy on Monday. If lymphs are involved he wants to do chemo first. if not surgury Dec. 30, 2011. I feel like I woke up in a dream and waiting for someone to yell Psych. I am shocked.
I haven't told anyone.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    welcome....sorry about your
    welcome....sorry about your situation...

This is a great place for good thoughts, information and opinions...

I HOPE all goes well with your tests and wish you the best

Denise
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    We all felt the same way as you
    All of us felt the same way as you when we were diagnosed. Most (if not all) of us still feel like we are living in a dream (nightmare actually).....but stick with us, this board kept me sane as it will you. You'll gain so much knowledge....much more than your own oncologist will even tell you. Why? Because we have gone or are going thru these treatments and have found many ways to deal with the side effects of chemo, radiation, hormonal drugs, etc..... All you have to do is ask. We are here to help anyway we can...and soon you'll be helping others too. Hang in there and try to take one day at a time. God Bless.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    BetsyJane said:

We all felt the same way as you
    All of us felt the same way as you when we were diagnosed. Most (if not all) of us still feel like we are living in a dream (nightmare actually).....but stick with us, this board kept me sane as it will you. You'll gain so much knowledge....much more than your own oncologist will even tell you. Why? Because we have gone or are going thru these treatments and have found many ways to deal with the side effects of chemo, radiation, hormonal drugs, etc..... All you have to do is ask. We are here to help anyway we can...and soon you'll be helping others too. Hang in there and try to take one day at a time. God Bless.

Betsy...
    Is right on the money! She has given great advice...stick with us, we'll get you through this...like she said, this is a nightmare..but like most, the further along you go in this journey, the more you will understand..knowledge is power and this is a powerful group of women!

Keep posting, we'll help you through this...we've waked your path...and we truly care.
    Hugs and best wishes,
    Nancy
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Sharing Your Fears
    Hi there,

I hope you have someone around to share your fears with, husband, parents, sister, family? How about a good friend? It helps to have some sort of support. Online is great, I've been online since 1997 and can assure you without help from women who have been there or understand, the journey would have been harder.

Is your tumor larger? That could be why your oncologist might want to do treatment before surgery. It would reduce the tumors size which could be helpful if you want a lumpectomy.

I remember the feeling and it seem to take forever before the nightmare ended, but it did end. Treatment was over and life is picked up once again.

Years ago, lymph node involvement meant a lot more than it means today. It is a form of measurement.

Do find someone to confide in and you might need them to take you to the hospital for surgery. They frown on driving yourself home after having procedures.

Best to you,

Doris
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Dear Confused, you have
    Dear Confused, you have found a great place to be during this journey. The women here are awesome caring, intelligent, supportive and fun. All the things you will need over the next few months.
    I agree that you need to tell some one. I kept my suspicions to my self at first but fortunately I did tell my husband and my dad. My husband or my sister went with me to almost every appointment. Aside from the emotional support, it is good to have 2 sets of ears listening to the doctor and someone else may think of questions you wouldn't.
    Don't worry about the chemo first, that is the way I started treatment. Chemo, mastectomy, rads. Now I am on arimidex. It is a crazy ride, but there is an end in sight. I couldn't imagine that this time last year. I was going through chemo at the time, I didn't think I would ever feel ok.
    Now I am back to work, my hair isn't a neon sign saying "chemo", I have a good deal of energy back and I am going crazy for the holidays! The shock may take a bit to wear off but soon you will get your groove with the treatment. It will be easier with a buddy to help. In any case, if you have any questions, ask. Someone here will have the answer. If you need to vent, we will listen. If you need to cry, we will hold your hand.
    Cindy
  • margz35
    margz35 Member Posts: 53
    It is natural to be worried but we are here for you.
    Hi there:
    I am just coming up on my one year anniversary of being diagnosed with DCIS. I had a mastectomy on 3/7 as there were 5 areas, and then after the path results showed an invasive cell in my sentinel node, I had 6 more removed on 3/31. They were clear.

I started chemo - 4 rounds - taxotere and cyotocin, at the end of May, and finished on July 1. My reconstruction surgery was last Wed 11/30 and I am recovering well.
    I feel like this year has just been a blur and it has gone so quickly but it is over for now.

Please have faith, do the tests your doctor recommends and check in with your friends here on this site. It certainly got me through.

We have all been here, done that .. and yes, it is awful, you want to scream at the top of your lungs (I recommend a remote beach - worked wonders for me!) and say "why me?" BUT the sooner you work out your treatment and get on to it - you will be fine.

To quote a great line from my favorite movie "The Shawshank Redemption:"
    "get busy living, or get busy dying."

I know what you will choose.
    All my love and prayers to you, my friend,
    Margz
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Welcome sweets!
    Hi new sister! I am so sorry you are going through this (my God so many new people!). But like everyone else said, you're are not alone. We will be here to support you and help answer any questions or concerns you may have. Always remember, it will get better - and take one step at a time. I started the same way as you! I was so scared, couldn't sleep, thought it was a nightmare, even turned off my cell ringer since last February and haven't heard it ring ever since! True story. Now I am done with chemo, radiation and surgery, on tamoxifen, and I feel so much better than I did earlier this year. You will be OK.

My prayers are with you. Please keep us posted.

Hugs
  • beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50
    I'm sorry...
    I'm sorry that you are here but so glad that you found these boards. The ladies out here are a wonderful bunch with so much support and info to share. This is a true nightmare when you are propelled into it, but days get better as you go. The unknown is always the hardest part. Once a treatment plan is in place, which can never happen fast enough, you will feel better about it all. Not to say that you will like it, none of us do, it's something we have to do.
    I encourage you to find someone in your life that you can share this with, while the boards are a great place, they can't take the place of face to face contact and a hug from someone that you love.
    I wish you peace on this journey, I will say a prayer for you.
    Hugs,
    Keely
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had to have chemo first
    I had to have chemo first because of the size of my tumor. It had to be shrunk first. I had cancer in my lymph nodes also. I had surgery on Dec. 30 2003. A right modified radical mastectomy and removed 15 nodes. Even after 4 cycles of chemo I still had 2 nodes involved of the 15 so I had to have 4 more cycles of chemo after and 6 weeks of rads. Hang in there. Hugs.