in shock

13»

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    DianeBC said:

I am very sorry that you had
    I am very sorry that you had a reason to come to this board. I do want to welcome you even though I wish you weren't here.

I have dense breasts, so, I have a mammo and ultrasound every 6 months and a MRI once a year.

I have always thought that 2nd opinions are great. It either confirms what your first doctor says, or, gives you new options.

I will be praying for you and keep posting,

Diane

When will you get your MRI
    When will you get your MRI results? I'll be watching for an update from you. And, good luck!

Jan
  • Vigee
    Vigee Member Posts: 66
    illona said:

Also just diagnosed
    Thank you for your response. I also have the Lobular Cancer in 2 areas and probably 2 Quadrants- yet to be decided. I also have the ductal Cancer and it is in one lymph node that I know of. I was just diagnosed. I am trying to decide whether to hava mastectomy or a double mastectomy or try for the lumpectomy (may not be possible, since I have 5cm of Cancer) The second breast does not show Cancer, but then the first one did not either until I discovered the lump. I am still in shock because I have gone faithfully for my mammograms. Had my last one in May this year. Now, 6 months later I have Cancer in 3 places and 2 different kinds. I am waiting to hear from the surgeon again. Now, I wonder how long I will go through treatments and if I will survive this thing.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So sorry
    I am so sorry you have to be going throught this, again. I really can't imagine.

Illona, I decided to have a double mastectomy for three reasons.

1. I don't want to scare anyone, but it seemed like a lot of women that I have talked to have had it come back in the second breast. My Onc also recommended have a double for this reason.

2. I didn't want to be constantly checking the other breast and going for mammograms worried that it might come back.

3. For reconstruction purposes, I wanted them to match perfectly.

Wishing you love and healing, Ladies.

Keep in touch.

<3 V
  • Vigee
    illona said:

Also just diagnosed
    Thank you for your response. I also have the Lobular Cancer in 2 areas and probably 2 Quadrants- yet to be decided. I also have the ductal Cancer and it is in one lymph node that I know of. I was just diagnosed. I am trying to decide whether to hava mastectomy or a double mastectomy or try for the lumpectomy (may not be possible, since I have 5cm of Cancer) The second breast does not show Cancer, but then the first one did not either until I discovered the lump. I am still in shock because I have gone faithfully for my mammograms. Had my last one in May this year. Now, 6 months later I have Cancer in 3 places and 2 different kinds. I am waiting to hear from the surgeon again. Now, I wonder how long I will go through treatments and if I will survive this thing.

So sorry
    I am so sorry you have to be going throught this, again. I really can't imagine.

1. I don't want to scare anyone, but it seemed like a lot of women that I have talked to have had it come back in the second breast. My Onc also recommended have a double for this reason.

2. I didn't want to be constantly checking the other breast and going for mammograms worried that it might come back.

Keep in touch.

<3 V
  • Vigee
    illona said:

Also just diagnosed

So sorry

Keep in touch.

<3 V
  • beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50
    I am new to these boards as
    I am new to these boards as well. I have found that there are wonderful, welcoming people here. Although, I don't want to be a part of this, we are all here fighting our battle together.

Please keep us posted on your journey. You'll be in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Keely
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    beachmom said:

I am new to these boards as well. I have found that there are wonderful, welcoming people here. Although, I don't want to be a part of this, we are all here fighting our battle together.

Hugs,
    Keely

I'd like to welcome you also
    I'd like to welcome you also Keely to this great supportive site. You are so right, we are ALL fighting this battle together!

Good luck to you,

Debby
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Lobolar
    Hi, sorry about you previous cancer and this present one. Uncertain about the wording you used. However, I had infiltrating lobular on both sides (tends to end up in both) and had Bilateral. Actually, all-in-all pleased I went down that route. You have been through a similar journey in the past, I think you will be strong enough to cope with what is coming up. Please ask any questions on this site as they come along. I wish you well. Keep strong.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Vigee said:

So sorry

Keep in touch.

<3 V</p>

How did your scans go Taiga
    How did your scans go Taiga on Wednesday?

Hugs, Angie
  • taiga
    taiga Member Posts: 75 Member
    Angie2U said:

How did your scans go Taiga
    How did your scans go Taiga on Wednesday?

Hugs, Angie

My PET scan results
    My awesome doctor called me today (Sunday) to let me know the PET showed nothing other than the breast cancer in my right breast. My tumor was ER+ and HER2+ and since I've been on Avastin all year and can't do surgery for awhile, I am meeting with on oncologist on Tuesday to discuss starting chemo and Herceptin now for a few months. They did put me on Arimidex.

If I hadn't been on Avastin all year, would that generally be how they go about this - chemo first, shrink it down, hope for a lumpectomy, then radiation?
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    taiga said:

My PET scan results
    My awesome doctor called me today (Sunday) to let me know the PET showed nothing other than the breast cancer in my right breast. My tumor was ER+ and HER2+ and since I've been on Avastin all year and can't do surgery for awhile, I am meeting with on oncologist on Tuesday to discuss starting chemo and Herceptin now for a few months. They did put me on Arimidex.

If I hadn't been on Avastin all year, would that generally be how they go about this - chemo first, shrink it down, hope for a lumpectomy, then radiation?

Good news Taiga on the scan!
    Good news Taiga on the scan! I know that some do chemo first to shrink the tumor, then surgery and some have rads. I had my lumpectomy, then rads, no chemo.

Good luck Tuesday. Let us know what your doctor says.

Hugs, Lex
  • toxcheep
    toxcheep Member Posts: 2
    illona said:

Also just diagnosed

mastectomy
    Ilona, it is just totally an unfair disease! They still don't have much of a handle on causes for breast cancer and it's very frustrating. Just keep on keeping on!
    I went through a mastectomy in August this year (I could have opted for a lumpectomy) and I'm glad I did. For one thing, the operation was not as awful as I had imagined. I had surgery at 2 p.m. one day and was on my way home the next morning at 9 a.m. and actually was in total agreement that no more hospitalization was necessary. Pain was very minimal. The most bothersome part was the managing my drain tube, and for many people that isn't a problem at all. Secondly, with a lumpectomy, I would have needed radiation and chemo; with a mastectomy, I just needed chemo. I liked that benefit. Thirdly, I was able to get started on reconstruction of my breast at the time of surgery and the saline injections that I get periodically for that are completely painless. It has been 3 mos. now and my breasts look normal in my clothing. There are differences , of course, but nothing that can't be easily disguised using a shoulder pad or two in my bra. Finally, I didn't look forward to having future mammograms in the diseased breast .... it would have been too nerve-wracking for me. Every woman needs to make a decision that suits her needs and fears and situation. My decision worked well for me but may not be the solution for you. Just wanted to share my reasons and the fact that mastectomy wasn't the "horror show" I had imagined. Hugs to you! You'll come through this ... we'll be waiting to hear from you.
  • beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50
    DebbyM said:

I'd like to welcome you also
    I'd like to welcome you also Keely to this great supportive site. You are so right, we are ALL fighting this battle together!

Good luck to you,

Debby

Thanks!
    Thanks Debby!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    beachmom said:

Hugs,
    Keely

Welcome to you too Keely! I
    Welcome to you too Keely! I will be praying for you.
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    Vigee said:

So sorry

Keep in touch.

<3 V</p>

me too
    Ladies,

I made the same decision for the same reasons that Vigee did. I'm so sorry you're going through this, I know that doesn't help right now, but know that you have another person praying for you.

Becky