Adema

Options
Ten weeks have passed since last rad/chemo for B.O.T and lung cancer.In the last two weeks I have swelling around neck and cheeks.In the morning the swelling is a lot, seems my tounge is swelled much of the day and hard to talk.Has anyone on CSN had this swelling from neck Rad/?? If so how long did it last? Have tried heat pads and ice packs. It goes down a little in the day time but gets worse sleeping.Have elevated head at night-does not help.This Radation has really left me with some tough things to deal with--like I'm 90 percent deaf in both ears and would really like to find a solution for the swelling and be able to talk. Have app. for the first of year with E.N.T and ONC.Thak you for any advise on the above

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Lymphedema Massage
    Very common.....

Usually lasting somewhere between 9 - 12 months for the most part. A lot is due to the damaged lymphatic drainage pathways from radiation.

Eventually through gravity and time, they will establish new pathways or re-establish the old ones.

There is a post on the SuperThread on massage techniques that could possible help. MarineE5 is the originator, but it's a pretty informative thread;

Massage

Hopefully it will provide you with some relief...

Best,
    John
  • rarph123
    rarph123 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Lymphedema Massage
    Very common.....

Usually lasting somewhere between 9 - 12 months for the most part. A lot is due to the damaged lymphatic drainage pathways from radiation.

Eventually through gravity and time, they will establish new pathways or re-establish the old ones.

There is a post on the SuperThread on massage techniques that could possible help. MarineE5 is the originator, but it's a pretty informative thread;

Massage

Hopefully it will provide you with some relief...

Best,
    John

adema
    Thanks John: Just pulled up the Thread--looks like I can add this one to my tounge exersizes
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    rarph123 said:

adema
    Thanks John: Just pulled up the Thread--looks like I can add this one to my tounge exersizes

Jim has swelling in neck and
    Jim has swelling in neck and face. His ENT referred to a message therapist who gave him exercises to do at home. 4 weeks of massage and there was a huge improvement. I went in the room with him and watched so I could do the massage at home.

Debbie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Rarph
    I too had some swelling, like John said it is pretty normal after treatment until the body filially finishes with healing its self. Hope the Massage works for you.

PS: I too am as deaf as can be due to radiation damage
    Hondo