Been part of this website for over a year for my mom....now I'm here for me...

minky1225
minky1225 Member Posts: 70
Hey ladies and some gents! I've been lurking for a few days and finally have the gumption to type it out....I have breast cancer. I have been in awe and inspired by all of you and glad that I have a large sorority of sisters in this with me! Wish we could meet over a few cocktails instead of this forum!!!!

Although I feel like I have learned so much about breast cancer in the past few weeks(while waiting for my results), I still have so much I need to know.

Here's a little about me... I am 30 years old and have always been cystic. My mother has stage IV ovarian cancer which the docs are now going to make me a great candidate to take the BRCA 1&2 tests. I have a 2cm tumor in the left breast. I am ER-/PR-/HER2+. I don't know the grade or the stage yet. I have my first consultation at Sloan Kettering this Friday... I've had my moments, but overall....I am in great spirits! I tell my husband that I am ready to kick some butt!(but that's not my exact words:) )

I also am HER2/PEC ratio positive at 5.9-can anyone tell me what this means????? Google has not been helpful with this one!

I would love to hear from you! Please send me your thoughts, advice, stories, and some hugs:) I will do the same! Oh, and thank you all for giving me support over this week and not even knowing it!

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Minky,
    My mom and I both

Hi Minky,
    My mom and I both went through breast cancer diagnoses last year. I was 34 and my mom was 60. I found out through genetic testing that I am BRCA1+.
    I had stage 2 cancer in my right breast, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy, 6 rounds of chemo, and breast reconstruction with silicone gel implants. It's a little over a year now since my last chemo, and I'm slowly but surely getting back to normal. My hair is long enough to put in tiny pigtails in the back now (!!), going to the gym helps me with pain and is helping me to regain my strength, and today I take things one day at a time.
    Sounds like you have a great attitude going in to this journey - and that will help you out so much through this. Sorry you had to be here but at least you have this great source of support and information on these message boards. Best of luck to you & please keep us informed as things come up :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Minky
    I am so sorry about your cancer. Keep as positive as you can, and sometimes that a real effort. This is a good site. There are several on yahoo that I'm in. We e-mail back and forth and it's not like a discussion board. Go to yahoo.groups and when you get there put in a search for their cancer groups.

Let us know how you are; we want to help any way we can.

Prayers and Hugs

Judy
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    poplolly said:

Minky
    I am so sorry about your cancer. Keep as positive as you can, and sometimes that a real effort. This is a good site. There are several on yahoo that I'm in. We e-mail back and forth and it's not like a discussion board. Go to yahoo.groups and when you get there put in a search for their cancer groups.

Prayers and Hugs

Judy

You're so young
    Your're so young but it is happening everyday.Younger women being dx with BC.I had benign tumors since age 20.My mom was dx in the early 1940's at the age 21, my niece at the age of 30 and then me 2 years ago at the age of 62.My mom had a mascetomy on her left side no reconstruction since it was so long ago, my niece at 30 had a masectomy on her right breast.A year later she had a pre-cancerous tumor on her left breast.Then a Mascetomy on the left side since she already had cancer.I had a lumpectomy for the cancer and also 2 other tumors removed that were benign.I didn't need chemo or radiation but I will be taking tamoxfin for the next 5 years.3 years now.

I was Stage 0 with a tumor that was 1/2 centimeter. The cancer was confined to the milk duct DCIS.Not sure what Stage you are but possibly Stage 2 since the tumor was a 2 centimeter.My friend was Stage 3 with 3 nodes involved.She is doing fine after 16 years.

Keep in touch and tell us what is happening the next few weeks. Don't let them put you off.I was put off and I wasn't happy.

Lynn Smith
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Hi Minky i can't answer your
    Hi Minky i can't answer your question as i don't know what it means ether keep up the great spirits and positive thoughts remember we will all be with you on this journey Hugs Frankie
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    we should meet!
    Hi – I wanted to welcome you to this community of great people who always help and support each other. I’m sorry you are going through this as such a young age, like myself. I was 32 when dx with bc. I did my treatments at Sloan as well – we should meet! Do you live in the city? Who’s your Onco? Would love to meet up and chat. If you want, you can pm me.

I wasn't HER2+ so I can't answer that question. But I want to wish you well in the upcoming days/weeks/months. Things will go by really fast,we're always here to support you.

Hugs
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    welcome
    Denise..
    sorry we

welcome

Denise..

sorry we must meet this way...
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    poplolly said:

Minky

Prayers and Hugs

Judy

I am so sorry that you had
    I am so sorry that you had to find this board at all. But, you've got all of us to help you thru this journey now. Sending lots of prayers and hugs!

Hugs, Jan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

we should meet!
    Hi – I wanted to welcome you to this community of great people who always help and support each other. I’m sorry you are going through this as such a young age, like myself. I was 32 when dx with bc. I did my treatments at Sloan as well – we should meet! Do you live in the city? Who’s your Onco? Would love to meet up and chat. If you want, you can pm me.

I wasn't HER2+ so I can't answer that question. But I want to wish you well in the upcoming days/weeks/months. Things will go by really fast,we're always here to support you.

Hugs

I want to welcome you too
    I want to welcome you too and say that I am very sorry. You are so young and it just isn't fair. Your oncologist is the best one to answer your questions.

Keep a positive attitude and try to focus on your treatment and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hugs, Angie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Hi Minky i can't answer your
    Hi Minky i can't answer your question as i don't know what it means ether keep up the great spirits and positive thoughts remember we will all be with you on this journey Hugs Frankie

Welcoming you Minky and
    Welcoming you Minky and letting you know that you will be on our prayer list.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Just_Lisa
    Just_Lisa Member Posts: 16
    Minky
    So sorry first of all.. I know exactly how you feel I am 28 and was diagnosed October 6th with a rare BC. I am actually going for a 2nd opinion on Thursday to Sloan Kettering which from what i hear is the best place to go in NE (yay for us!) Stay in great spirits! You / We can do this! keep us posted on your progress, it's going to be a tough journey and for me talking about it seems to help A LOT, gets easier everytime.

As for the HER2/PEC i am not sure if it's like the HER2/NEU.. mine can back nuetral not pos or neg I was told if it came back positive i would have to take a pill every day for the next year, they r resubmitting it in hopes of getting a negative. HER2/NEU is an over expression of protien which can cause a more aggressive cancer. Don't panic! like i said they have a pill that will get it under control. I would talk to your doctor to get specific details about it and ask if it's the same as the /NEU. Good luck
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Just_Lisa said:

Minky
    So sorry first of all.. I know exactly how you feel I am 28 and was diagnosed October 6th with a rare BC. I am actually going for a 2nd opinion on Thursday to Sloan Kettering which from what i hear is the best place to go in NE (yay for us!) Stay in great spirits! You / We can do this! keep us posted on your progress, it's going to be a tough journey and for me talking about it seems to help A LOT, gets easier everytime.

As for the HER2/PEC i am not sure if it's like the HER2/NEU.. mine can back nuetral not pos or neg I was told if it came back positive i would have to take a pill every day for the next year, they r resubmitting it in hopes of getting a negative. HER2/NEU is an over expression of protien which can cause a more aggressive cancer. Don't panic! like i said they have a pill that will get it under control. I would talk to your doctor to get specific details about it and ask if it's the same as the /NEU. Good luck

Minky, you and Lisa are both
    Minky, you and Lisa are both just too young to even have to deal with this and I am so sorry. You both can beat the beast and we are here to help however we can. We'll give you support and encouragement along this bumpy road. You are not alone. Keep us posted and I will be praying for you two.

♥ Kristin ♥
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    welcome Minky
    One thing is for certain, this is a great group of women~awesome in fact....I had a 7cm tumor that put me at stage IV, because the first thought was that it was also in my sternum....I kept saying it was scare tissue from a 30 year old accident, I was correct, but it took a bit of time to convince them all...so my 7cm tumor was reduced in size to 1.5cm and then I had a lumpectomy and lymphnodes removed, cancer was in 5 of them so, on I went to radiation...now 6 months past surgery, and 3 months since radiation ended, and althoug I am a bit fatigued all is well....I am back to work part time, and enjoying the holiday season this year...last year was a bummer...so I have a lot to be thankful for. I recieved all my treatment in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. at the Dyson Cancer Center, and I can't say enough good things about all the caring people that I had..so another new yorker here...hang in there, you are in for a life changing year, and then back to a new normal. We are here, to cry with you, scream with you, laugh with you...and let you know, you CAN do this, you are stronger than you know. I ran into a woman the other day that was diagnosed 22 years ago, can't even imagine what she went through compared to the treatments today, the anti nausea meds, and pain meds, whatever you need, it is now available to make the journey less horroific than our gentle sisters that went before us..stay in touch...the best to your mom too...you are two strong women who will cheer each other through this...Courage...Peace....and Love...heading your way...Sinee
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    sinee said:

welcome Minky
    One thing is for certain, this is a great group of women~awesome in fact....I had a 7cm tumor that put me at stage IV, because the first thought was that it was also in my sternum....I kept saying it was scare tissue from a 30 year old accident, I was correct, but it took a bit of time to convince them all...so my 7cm tumor was reduced in size to 1.5cm and then I had a lumpectomy and lymphnodes removed, cancer was in 5 of them so, on I went to radiation...now 6 months past surgery, and 3 months since radiation ended, and althoug I am a bit fatigued all is well....I am back to work part time, and enjoying the holiday season this year...last year was a bummer...so I have a lot to be thankful for. I recieved all my treatment in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. at the Dyson Cancer Center, and I can't say enough good things about all the caring people that I had..so another new yorker here...hang in there, you are in for a life changing year, and then back to a new normal. We are here, to cry with you, scream with you, laugh with you...and let you know, you CAN do this, you are stronger than you know. I ran into a woman the other day that was diagnosed 22 years ago, can't even imagine what she went through compared to the treatments today, the anti nausea meds, and pain meds, whatever you need, it is now available to make the journey less horroific than our gentle sisters that went before us..stay in touch...the best to your mom too...you are two strong women who will cheer each other through this...Courage...Peace....and Love...heading your way...Sinee

Welcome
    I do mean welcome, even though I'm so sorry you have breast cancer at such a young age. You will always find support here, as well as someone with a similar diagnosis and age. I'm really hating to see so many young women here. I hope us "more mature" women can also provide hope and comfort to you.

Now, about your screen name . . . my last name is Mink.

Sending hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts to you, dear Minky.

Suzanne
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    sinee said:

welcome Minky

Welcome Minky and let me say
    Welcome Minky and let me say how sorry I am that you have been diagnosed with bc. There's a group of awesome bc survivors here that are always going to be here for you. So, come back often and keep us updated on yourself.

Sending you hugs and prayers,

Noel
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    sinee said:

welcome Minky

So sorry that I am late in
    So sorry that I am late in welcoming you Minky! I am sending you hugs and prayers.

Diane
  • beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50
    late
    Sorry to welcome you so late. I too lurked for a time before I had the courage to post. These ladies are so wonderful. I wish you peace, I'll add you to the prayer list.

Keely :o)