blisters

sylvan
sylvan Member Posts: 66
I thought I'd get away without getting them but no such luck. I've got a bag of frozen peas right now that I'm using to cool things off. Any clues what else I can do? The heat that is being generated is amazing. The cool washcloths get hot in a matter of minutes, which is why I switched to the frozen peas.

Comments

• Tkitty
    Tkitty Member Posts: 56
    blisters
    I ended up blistering over my entire radiated area. I used the aquafore lotion, but when the blisters came, the skin started sloghing off and I ended up having to use the Silverdine burn cream for quite a long time. I am very fair and it took me 2 months to heal up from that. Hopefully you won't get that severe. Are you done with radiation treatments? I had to take a month break before getting the last 6 boost treatments. I read in one post of some kind of soak that was helpful. Has your radiation oncologist suggested anything to you?
  • sylvan
    Tkitty said:

blisters
    I ended up blistering over my entire radiated area. I used the aquafore lotion, but when the blisters came, the skin started sloghing off and I ended up having to use the Silverdine burn cream for quite a long time. I am very fair and it took me 2 months to heal up from that. Hopefully you won't get that severe. Are you done with radiation treatments? I had to take a month break before getting the last 6 boost treatments. I read in one post of some kind of soak that was helpful. Has your radiation oncologist suggested anything to you?

finish tomorrow
    Tomorrow is supposed to be my last treatment. It started as a small blister yesterday but I didn't worry so much about it. Now, I can almost feel the blisters developing. They are all around the surgery area.

I just read somewhere that I wasn't supposed to put ice packs on the burns. Well, I guess it's too late for that. I did wrap the frozen peas in a towel and then applied the compress over my shirt. Hopefully I didn't do any damage.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    sylvan said:

finish tomorrow
    Tomorrow is supposed to be my last treatment. It started as a small blister yesterday but I didn't worry so much about it. Now, I can almost feel the blisters developing. They are all around the surgery area.

I just read somewhere that I wasn't supposed to put ice packs on the burns. Well, I guess it's too late for that. I did wrap the frozen peas in a towel and then applied the compress over my shirt. Hopefully I didn't do any damage.

My burns started the day
    My burns started the day after last rad. - have the scars to prove it. I'm allergic to Sulfa so Silvadene/Sulfadene was not an option for me to use. What finally got me healed up was Domobro soaks. You can get Domobro at any pharmacy but some have it behind the counter so you have to ask at the desk for it. Do not use it though without checking with yor Dr!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow, so sorry to hear...I
    wow, so sorry to hear...I didnt' get any side effects from radiation I TOLD My hubby the other day HOw lucky i was (3 yrs ago now) I just got slight square tan on my chest. I am fair skinned-so really surprised...

I WISH you speedy recovery & HOPE THE pain goes away..

Denise
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    sylvan said:

finish tomorrow

I think ice is OK
    My doctor didn't want me to use any lotion at all, but he was OK with ice packs. He said "they won't help," but they did -- they eased the pain even if they didn't do anything for the blisters. He did say not to put it directly on my skin. I used gel packs that freeze really hard and stay cold all night. I wrapped them in a t-shirt material pillowcase.

I am so glad your last day is today! The damage may continue to worsen for a while, but the end is in sight.

Mary
  • sylvan
    The frozen peas were okay
    I saw the doctor this morning and they said it was fine to use the frozen peas. I'm so relieved. Using them made a huge difference so I think I'm going to keep up with it for as long as it helps.

They gave me some sulfa cream. It looks sort of like zinc oxide and evidently will stain everything black. Good thing I've got some old bras that I don't care about.

I've got to go back next Tuesday for them to check on the burned areas. The skin has peeled and it's a rather large area. Evidently it'll continue to get worse over the next few days.

Everyone is coming to our house for Thanksgiving. I sure hope they plan on helping or we'll be eating PB&J.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read and comment about my concerns.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    sylvan said:

I saw the doctor this morning and they said it was fine to use the frozen peas. I'm so relieved. Using them made a huge difference so I think I'm going to keep up with it for as long as it helps.

They gave me some sulfa cream. It looks sort of like zinc oxide and evidently will stain everything black. Good thing I've got some old bras that I don't care about.

I've got to go back next Tuesday for them to check on the burned areas. The skin has peeled and it's a rather large area. Evidently it'll continue to get worse over the next few days.

Everyone is coming to our house for Thanksgiving. I sure hope they plan on helping or we'll be eating PB&J.

Glad you are done!
    I think the silvadene will help you, it did me. I was also told to spend at least 30 minutes twice a day with nothing on my skin but the breeze from a fan.

I say if no one will help you cook dinner then they deserve PB&J, or worse.

Take care,

Jennifer
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    sylvan said:

Sulfa cream is good for
    Sulfa cream is good for burns. I hope it helped you!