Question to the seasoned ladies out there...

beachmom
beachmom Member Posts: 50
Being new here I'm still trying to figure this site out! On one of my recent threads, I had someone comment that although they didn't have cancer they wondered what it was like to have it, what it was like to not have anyone to talk to, etc.

My first thought was to reply, look around your neighborhood, there's plenty of us out there! I almost hit the report as offensive but don't know what that really means either.....

I'm just ignoring the post at this point, have you all received these from others and what do you do? I really don't want to be rude, but it just doesn't seem on the up and up.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Keely

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Oh boy!
    We have had our fair of " strange ones" that show up on this board....they're fairly easy to spot..a few have taken longer...one pretended to have bc...but it was obvious she didn't and when we "flagged" her posts as offensive, she " came back" as her sister and said " she had died" .....all I can say is these people must be desperate for attention and lead lonely lives to have to pretend they cancer....or just plain whacko! !!!!!

If you are offended by a post, flag it...the woman who monitors this site, Greta, will handle it...was this post on this board? If so, which one was it? Some of us " old timers " can check it out...

Please don't let this keep you from us....
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Hi Beachmom
    Were they a caregiver maybe? Having said that. I am sorry to say you need to still be carfull even here where you would think we should feel safe. There is still people out there willing to hurt us and they will and they have. Your right there is plenty of us out there. I think you did right just ignoring the post.
    Kathy
  • beachmom
    MAJW said:

Oh boy!
    We have had our fair of " strange ones" that show up on this board....they're fairly easy to spot..a few have taken longer...one pretended to have bc...but it was obvious she didn't and when we "flagged" her posts as offensive, she " came back" as her sister and said " she had died" .....all I can say is these people must be desperate for attention and lead lonely lives to have to pretend they cancer....or just plain whacko! !!!!!

If you are offended by a post, flag it...the woman who monitors this site, Greta, will handle it...was this post on this board? If so, which one was it? Some of us " old timers " can check it out...

Please don't let this keep you from us....
    Hugs, Nancy

Thread
    Hi Nancy,
    The thread was "I'm new here...". I will flag it, just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks for responding! I love these boards, so full of hope, encouragement and genuine caring!

Keely
  • beachmom
    Kat11 said:

Hi Beachmom
    Were they a caregiver maybe? Having said that. I am sorry to say you need to still be carfull even here where you would think we should feel safe. There is still people out there willing to hurt us and they will and they have. Your right there is plenty of us out there. I think you did right just ignoring the post.
    Kathy

Caregiver...
    I doubt they are a caregiver, I would think they would state that. I think he/she is just plain weird!

There are so many nice folks here, can't let this one stop me being here. So much strength here on these boards! Happy day to you!
    Keely
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    beachmom said:

Caregiver...
    I doubt they are a caregiver, I would think they would state that. I think he/she is just plain weird!

There are so many nice folks here, can't let this one stop me being here. So much strength here on these boards! Happy day to you!
    Keely

Wow that's crazy how people
    Wow Nancy that's crazy how people can be so insensitive that they would actually do that.

And your right Keely, there are a lot of strength and support from these wonderful ladies that one person should not stop you from getting the support you need.

Hugs
    Eva
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Emotional vampires
    That's what I call them and over the years they seem to show up from time to time. Compared to most sites though, it is relatively infrequent, but you need to keep your wits about you. As has been said, Greta is quick to get it handled.

Also consider some people sincerely want to know not realizing the effect of their query. To them I have said "C is a river that is crossed and leaves the rest of you on the other side. It's like a vet, if you haven't been there you cannot possibly know, sorry."