Made it to another Thanksgiving

garden gal
garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member
This will be my 3rd Thanksgiving with Ovarian Cancer and although I'm normaly very up and positive about things, every year I say is this my last. Am I the only one who does this? and then there's x-mas I do the same. I am so thankful to still be here and thankful for my friends and family,this board and to the dr's who have all helped in getting me to this day. I am also so saddened when I hear of someone has lost their battle to this disease. I just keep saying to myself be thankful for today and hope for tomorrow. to all that are battling this disease my thanksgiving prays will be for you. thanks Kathy

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Kathy:
    It is normal to feel

Kathy:

It is normal to feel this way. Who doesn't think about these things? It really comes to head when we know of a friend or someone who has recently passed and maybe they were diagnosed months or years after you were and then they passed. But others may survive way beyond the statistical expectation.

No one knows for sure (not even doctors) why some with low grade cancers recur quickly or why aggressive ones don't recur as expected.

So what can we do? Just as you say. Be thankful for today and hope for tomorrow. Laugh and enjoy life and do the things that you can while you are able.

May you have a blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Kathy
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Holidays are tough
    The dark thoughts come creeping in as the holidays approach. I am very happy to be here and I feel good even though I just had a biopsy which is almost certain to be positive. This is only my second holiday season since diagnosis, last year I was just ending chemo so I plan to really enjoy this holiday dinner ( and desserts! )
    When I hear of women like Linda who went way to fast it encourages me to enjoy every moment with my family. So try to push sad and dark thoughts to the back and make some wonderful memories with the people you love. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving !
    Colleen
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

Holidays are tough
    The dark thoughts come creeping in as the holidays approach. I am very happy to be here and I feel good even though I just had a biopsy which is almost certain to be positive. This is only my second holiday season since diagnosis, last year I was just ending chemo so I plan to really enjoy this holiday dinner ( and desserts! )
    When I hear of women like Linda who went way to fast it encourages me to enjoy every moment with my family. So try to push sad and dark thoughts to the back and make some wonderful memories with the people you love. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving !
    Colleen

Celebrating the holidays
    Maybe I'm not normal--I don't have that feeling that this will be my last Thanksgiving or Christmas. I guess everyone's personality is different. My condition is certainly persistent and I'll be back in chemo soon.

I'm finally getting symptomatic--4 months after my CA-125 was twice the upper limit of normal. So it's gonna be carbo/gem this time. Sigh...
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    carolenk said:

Celebrating the holidays
    Maybe I'm not normal--I don't have that feeling that this will be my last Thanksgiving or Christmas. I guess everyone's personality is different. My condition is certainly persistent and I'll be back in chemo soon.

I'm finally getting symptomatic--4 months after my CA-125 was twice the upper limit of normal. So it's gonna be carbo/gem this time. Sigh...

This is my 3rd Thanksgiving too
    and the first year I really couldn't eat much due to cemeo and surgery...last year I worked and this year I plan to stuff myself. I just try to remember the days when I couldn't even walk to the mailbox and how far I have come. Right now I am ned but I know the beast will return sooner or later.Enjoy the holidays and we will be here next year too...val
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    carolenk said:

Celebrating the holidays

This is my 3rd Thanksgiving too
    and the first year I really couldn't eat much due to cemeo and surgery...last year I worked and this year I plan to stuff myself. I just try to remember the days when I couldn't even walk to the mailbox and how far I have come. Right now I am ned but I know the beast will return sooner or later.Enjoy the holidays and we will be here next year too...val
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    My 6th Thanksgiving
    and I think we all feel this way. I have so very much to be thankful for and that includes all of my Teal Sisters!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Mwee said:

My 6th Thanksgiving
    and I think we all feel this way. I have so very much to be thankful for and that includes all of my Teal Sisters!
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Congrats, Maria, on all
    Congrats, Maria, on all those TG milestones.

This is my third, too, and I wonder the same thing with every holiday and special event: will this be my last Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. When the Texas Rangers lost their bid for the World Series, two years in a row, I wondered if I would live to see them try again.

When Jayne Armstrong was near the end of her life, and she knew she was, her blog was so sad. Every holiday, starting with Halloween, she wrote about it being her last. Linda P's family wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving early this year, but she told them there was no need because she would not be going anywhere before Turkey Day. Sadly, she didn't make it.

We all have a LOT to be thankful for. People who have never had cancer don't realize what being truly thankful feels like. In all fairness, I guess we didn't either, BC (before cancer).

Carlene
  • garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member

Congrats, Maria, on all
    Congrats, Maria, on all those TG milestones.

This is my third, too, and I wonder the same thing with every holiday and special event: will this be my last Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. When the Texas Rangers lost their bid for the World Series, two years in a row, I wondered if I would live to see them try again.

When Jayne Armstrong was near the end of her life, and she knew she was, her blog was so sad. Every holiday, starting with Halloween, she wrote about it being her last. Linda P's family wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving early this year, but she told them there was no need because she would not be going anywhere before Turkey Day. Sadly, she didn't make it.

We all have a LOT to be thankful for. People who have never had cancer don't realize what being truly thankful feels like. In all fairness, I guess we didn't either, BC (before cancer).

Carlene

well said
    You took the words right out of mouth. Thanks Kathy
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member

well said
    You took the words right out of mouth. Thanks Kathy

Belated Happy Thanksgiving
    to all of you. Last year I made a little speech on Thanksgiving and Christmas expressing how happy I was to be alive and with my loved ones. This Thanksgiving I just said, I am happy to still be here. I won't pretend I don't think about things that lurk in the back of my mind but I am here now. That is my bottom line; I am here today. That is all any of us have.

I lost a friend a couple of days before Thanksgiving and even though I didn't know her well I feel a big loss. She became my sister because of cancer and fickle as it is cancer took her away.

I am in the process of decorating for Christmas. Last year I didn't get to decorate and we didn't even have a tree because the hall bathroom flooded the house. It is fun to reminisce as I take the ornaments out. This is my second holiday season after cancer. I am glad to get back to normal. Or as they say, "the new normal."