Possible endomiatrial abliation next Wed but I'm not bleeding.

TKMomma
TKMomma Member Posts: 54
I am 51 years old and have been on tamoxafen for a little over three months for breast cancer. I was told by my oncologist that my periods would probably stop. I was recently tested and am not in menopause yet but have not had a period in three months. I have been having severe cramping and after transvaginal ultrasound, diagonosed with mild heterogeneous echogenicity of the endometrium with endometrial thickness measuring 1.1 cm in thickness. I had an ultrasound the first of the year and my results were completely normal. My gynecologist is planning a D&C, hystesrcopic surgery and possible endomitrium ablitation. After doing countless research, I have never read anywhere that endomitrium abliation was done for not bleeding. Tomaxafen is known to thicken your lining and also can cause endometrium cancer. I believe I read somewhere that if you have an endomitrium biopsy you should not have your lining removed until is is determined whether it is cancer. My doctor tells me he will examine the lining (tissue, whatever) before deciding on endomitrium ablitation. I'm so confused. Any thoughts on the above would be truely appreciated.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    second opinion
    Please wait for biopsy results and seek a second opinion. Try to find gynecologist/oncologist who understands side effects of Tamoxifen and will not rash into unnecessary surgery. As for your current doctor, please feel confident to ask questions and make conscientious decision.
    Hugs
    New Flower
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

second opinion
    Please wait for biopsy results and seek a second opinion. Try to find gynecologist/oncologist who understands side effects of Tamoxifen and will not rash into unnecessary surgery. As for your current doctor, please feel confident to ask questions and make conscientious decision.
    Hugs
    New Flower

I am not on tamox, so, I
    I am not on tamox, so, I don't know all of the side effects, but, I do want you to know that I am praying for you.

Please keep us posted.

HUGS
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    susie09 said:

I am not on tamox, so, I
    I am not on tamox, so, I don't know all of the side effects, but, I do want you to know that I am praying for you.

Please keep us posted.

HUGS

extended prayers .. gentle hugs
    to you ... and your extend family during this very emotional time.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    VickiSam said:

extended prayers .. gentle hugs
    to you ... and your extend family during this very emotional time.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Praying for you too.

Praying for you too.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Noel said:

Praying for you too.

Praying for you too.

A 2nd opinion might not be a
    A 2nd opinion might not be a bad thing to get. I know many of us have in other issues related to bc.

Praying that next Wednesday, if you have the endomiatrial abliation, that it will help you and that you will be fine.

Hugs, Angie
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    D&C
    Hi TK,

I had this problem and ended with the endometrial thickness like yours, being cm instead of mm found with a vaginal ultra sound. I did have a D&C (very easy procedure). I did bleed off and on for over 2 years. I had so many endometrium biopsies that I lost count and they were negative.

My gynecologist recommended that we try a D&C first in order to see what we were dealing with instead of doing a hysterectomy. Turned out the D&C was the end of the story. My notes state it to be endometrial hypoplasia with polyps. My gynecologist called my problem "the last calling card of Tamoxifen".

I had been on Tamoxifen for 4 years until a recurrence. Then, I went to Arimidex. I began the bleeding episode about 6 weeks later. Perhaps you could inquire about using an aromatase inhibitor instead of staying on Tamoxifen.

Best,

Doris
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    SIROD said:

D&C
    Hi TK,

I had this problem and ended with the endometrial thickness like yours, being cm instead of mm found with a vaginal ultra sound. I did have a D&C (very easy procedure). I did bleed off and on for over 2 years. I had so many endometrium biopsies that I lost count and they were negative.

My gynecologist recommended that we try a D&C first in order to see what we were dealing with instead of doing a hysterectomy. Turned out the D&C was the end of the story. My notes state it to be endometrial hypoplasia with polyps. My gynecologist called my problem "the last calling card of Tamoxifen".

I had been on Tamoxifen for 4 years until a recurrence. Then, I went to Arimidex. I began the bleeding episode about 6 weeks later. Perhaps you could inquire about using an aromatase inhibitor instead of staying on Tamoxifen.

Best,

Doris

Like Doris wrote, perhaps
    Like Doris wrote, perhaps you can go one of the aromatase inhibitors.

Good luck,

Jan
  • mrlember
    mrlember Member Posts: 10
    ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION
    It's very appropriate for your doctor to perform a hysteroscopy with D&C given the endometrial thickening you have. Tamoxifen can increase your risk of endometrial cancer, but more often non-cancerous polyps are found. Endometrial ablation is really not an appropriate treatment for this and does not reduce the risk of cancer, in fact, it could mask the most common symptoms...bleeding. Yes for the D&C, hysteroscopy. No for the ablation. Hope that helps...
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    mrlember said:

ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION
    It's very appropriate for your doctor to perform a hysteroscopy with D&C given the endometrial thickening you have. Tamoxifen can increase your risk of endometrial cancer, but more often non-cancerous polyps are found. Endometrial ablation is really not an appropriate treatment for this and does not reduce the risk of cancer, in fact, it could mask the most common symptoms...bleeding. Yes for the D&C, hysteroscopy. No for the ablation. Hope that helps...

Uterine Cancer board
    Remember the recent post here from someone named Samantha that we told to take a hike? Well, she also posted on the Uterine cancer board and peeps responded to her post (so did I). I don't want to scare anyone, but I suggest you read those posts. There are similar posts over there as well.

I am by no means suggesting anyone not take Tamoxifen because for most women there is not problem. And the benefits far outweigh the risks. Just pay attention and be vigilent about your symptoms. Your second opinion might best be made by a gynecologic oncologist.

Suzanne