port removal

shelia_y
shelia_y Member Posts: 1
Hi all,
I'm having my port removed this Tuesday, 11/22/11 in the doctors office. I'm one year cancer free - and a little nervous about this.

Comments

• madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    port removal
    I'm planning on having mine removed right after chemo, jusr before radiation. Not waiting any longer than necessary. I remember the nurse at the hosp. saying "see you when it comes out", So, my assumption is that it's done at the hosp. I'd ask aboout tha. Thay still have to cut into the skin. Yikes!
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Being de-ported
    Hello Linda,

Congratulations on your upcoming deportation. I had one, also. It was great to have during chemo (16 rounds) but I was very glad to have it out. I had it removed 3 months after chemo was finished. It always gave me the willies to touch it. I had mine removed in the office of my general surgeon. He is the one who put it in. It took all of about 10 minutes. He numbed the skin with some sort of anesthetic. Lidocaine I think. He opened the scar on the upper part of my chest which was just above the port itself. I had my eyes closed but all I could feel was a tugging sensation. He closed the area with 3 stitches and then it was done. I drove myself home. He removed the stitches about 2 weeks later. My husband had a port (colon cancer) and his port removal was also done in the surgeon's office. There really is nothing to be worried about. You have withstood so much more.

IRENE
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    congrats~
    sooo happy for you, not worries, looking forward to having that blessing happen to me soon. Cancer free is awesome...{{{hugs}}} for your nervousness, it is totally understandable~and breathing a sigh of relief at the same time I am sure...
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Being de-ported
    Hello Linda,

Congratulations on your upcoming deportation. I had one, also. It was great to have during chemo (16 rounds) but I was very glad to have it out. I had it removed 3 months after chemo was finished. It always gave me the willies to touch it. I had mine removed in the office of my general surgeon. He is the one who put it in. It took all of about 10 minutes. He numbed the skin with some sort of anesthetic. Lidocaine I think. He opened the scar on the upper part of my chest which was just above the port itself. I had my eyes closed but all I could feel was a tugging sensation. He closed the area with 3 stitches and then it was done. I drove myself home. He removed the stitches about 2 weeks later. My husband had a port (colon cancer) and his port removal was also done in the surgeon's office. There really is nothing to be worried about. You have withstood so much more.

IRENE

Sending early congrats on
    Sending early congrats on the deporting!

Hugs, Megan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    sinee said:

congrats~
    sooo happy for you, not worries, looking forward to having that blessing happen to me soon. Cancer free is awesome...{{{hugs}}} for your nervousness, it is totally understandable~and breathing a sigh of relief at the same time I am sure...

Big congrats Sheila on your
    Big congrats Sheila on your one year anniversary! And, good luck with your getting your port out too.

Hugs, Diane
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    DianeBC said:

Big congrats Sheila on your
    Big congrats Sheila on your one year anniversary! And, good luck with your getting your port out too.

Hugs, Diane

Congrats
    Congrats Sheila....especially on your 1 year anniversary....

Jessmom1..thank you ... I'm also getting my port remove 11/22 at my surgeon office and had no clue what to expect and now I know...not as bad as i thought
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    epark said:

Congrats
    Congrats Sheila....especially on your 1 year anniversary....

Jessmom1..thank you ... I'm also getting my port remove 11/22 at my surgeon office and had no clue what to expect and now I know...not as bad as i thought

Congratulations for your port removal...
    and...Congratulations on your one year cancer-free anniversary. Sounds like a celebration is in order!!! Wishing YOU all the best for your port removal tomorrow.

Cheers to YOU!!!

Mitzi :0)
  • Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    Mitzi333 said:

and...Congratulations on your one year cancer-free anniversary. Sounds like a celebration is in order!!! Wishing YOU all the best for your port removal tomorrow.

Cheers to YOU!!!

Congratulations
    I had mine removed in April in Dr. Office it was no big deal but I did use my numbing cream an hour before I went( Dr. said ok to use it) I had no pain at all did not even feel the numbing injection just pulling! Not much discomfort after. Good Luck.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

Cheers to YOU!!!

Congrats!
    Double Congrats! Cancer Fee and Port Removal, now that's something to be Thankful for - just in time for Thanksgiving!

Hugs,Debi