Radiation-no side effects -no burning

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
It seems from reading on here I am one of the few with NO side effects (fatigue, burns etc) I am very fair skin-I am very greatful I did not have any-just curious are there otheres out there the same?

My friend who just had breast surgery had radiation just before surgery and is in terrible pain, burned etc..thought an infection and not...so now she is worried since she has 30 more treatments to go..(+ must go back in Tues only 2 wks post surgery for more surgery)

MY heart goes out to her..

Denise

Comments

• Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Denise, I have some fatigue
    Denise, I have some fatigue and pink skin so far. Have less than 10 more txs to go out of 33. Have been using cabbage leaves and manuka honey. So far so good. Sorry about your friend!

Cory :D
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Denise, I had barely any

Denise, I had barely any side effects from radiation, certainly no fatigue. I am not fair skinned and not dark either. The last week (of 6) my skin got a little red like a sun burn. I thought I had gotten off lightly. However 3 - 4 days after I was completely done with rads, I had a horrible burn then went right up my neck and a mild burn on my back where the radiation went right through above my clavicle. I was pretty shocked and in pain. But less than a week later I was fine. My skin in that area, a year later is kind of sensitive. I often have to mosturize it.
  • MellieMc
    MellieMc Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Denise, I have some fatigue
    Denise, I have some fatigue and pink skin so far. Have less than 10 more txs to go out of 33. Have been using cabbage leaves and manuka honey. So far so good. Sorry about your friend!

Sigh of relief
    I haven't begun radiation yet, but have been dreading the idea of it. I hope I have no side effects too!

Corinna, how do you use the honey and cabbage leaves?
  • Corinna11
    Options
    MellieMc said:

Sigh of relief
    I haven't begun radiation yet, but have been dreading the idea of it. I hope I have no side effects too!

Corinna, how do you use the honey and cabbage leaves?

Hey Mellie! I put manuka
    Hey Mellie! I put manuka honey on any areas that are pink or red after my treatment then cover them with 1 or 2 big organic cabbage leaves with the crunchy rib part removed. Then I put on my pretty thin and soft organic bra to hold the leaves on. It feels nice and cool next to my skin and in a few hours my chest is much less red and nice and soft and the cabbage leaves are cooked and crunchy... :)
    My kids hate all the pieces of cabbage leaves around the house though... :)

• MellieMc
    MellieMc Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Corinna11 said:

Hey Mellie! I put manuka
    Hey Mellie! I put manuka honey on any areas that are pink or red after my treatment then cover them with 1 or 2 big organic cabbage leaves with the crunchy rib part removed. Then I put on my pretty thin and soft organic bra to hold the leaves on. It feels nice and cool next to my skin and in a few hours my chest is much less red and nice and soft and the cabbage leaves are cooked and crunchy... :)
    My kids hate all the pieces of cabbage leaves around the house though... :)

Manuka Honey
    Is is like regular honey?

Where did you find a comfy bra?

Thanks for the new tool. I'm collecting all the tools I can for this journey.
  • Corinna11
    Options
    MellieMc said:

Manuka Honey
    Is is like regular honey?

Where did you find a comfy bra?

Thanks for the new tool. I'm collecting all the tools I can for this journey.

Manuka honey is honey from
    Manuka honey is honey from bees that frequent manuka bushes and has a very hi anti-oxidant effect. You can eat it or put it directly on wounds. It is very thick and sticky and has a strong flavor. You can get it on Amazon, online or at health food stores.

The organic bra I got at www.faeriesdance.com and they have a nice selection. Mine was not very expensive, only about 25.00 and all organic cotton. I am not very full chested any more so I dont need a lot of support. Maggies Organics online also has good deals on organic cami's that feel comfortable against my skin. Hope that helps!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Denise, I had barely any

Denise, I had barely any side effects from radiation, certainly no fatigue. I am not fair skinned and not dark either. The last week (of 6) my skin got a little red like a sun burn. I thought I had gotten off lightly. However 3 - 4 days after I was completely done with rads, I had a horrible burn then went right up my neck and a mild burn on my back where the radiation went right through above my clavicle. I was pretty shocked and in pain. But less than a week later I was fine. My skin in that area, a year later is kind of sensitive. I often have to mosturize it.

Count me amongst the fair skinned, no problems
    None. Zilch. Zero. No pain, no burn (very slightly red at end), no fatigue. Nothin' honey.

Suzanne

PS I had a new protocol, 16 sessions whole breast and 5 boosts. Total 21. I was expecting the 6 week routine, but rad onc said this was every bit as effective - she said same amount of radiation over a shorter period of time or at least close to the same amount.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

None. Zilch. Zero. No pain, no burn (very slightly red at end), no fatigue. Nothin' honey.

Suzanne

PS I had a new protocol, 16 sessions whole breast and 5 boosts. Total 21. I was expecting the 6 week routine, but rad onc said this was every bit as effective - she said same amount of radiation over a shorter period of time or at least close to the same amount.

I just got pink, I did have
    I just got pink, I did have fatique but was really debilitated from the chemo. so i cant judge that. I am pleased with how the rads went.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Suzanne

I too am very light
    I too am very light skinned...

THis is how stupid is was..I THOUGHT radation was direct pin pointed location...shortly after I was done I LOOKED and saw big square tan! I thought just one tiny area...LITTLE did I know..hehe..

Denise
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I had no SEs during rads. I
    I had no SEs during rads. I started them 1 week after last Taxol which was completely and utterly exhausting. Every day through during rads I felt better and stronger. I'm very fair skinned but do not sunburn bad. My burns came on the day after last rad and took over the entire radiated area - from mid line around underarm to back and up neck. Thankfully the deepest were under arm where it's numb but Vicodin and Oxy were my friends during that time for the rest of the areas.

Susan