Fever

My husband is running a high fever again. Last time he had an absess on his tumor was on heavy duty antibiotics for 2 weeks and everything was ok. Now this weekend he started running a high fever again, we went to the ER on Sunday and they didn't see any absess and high blood work came back ok but he's still running a high fever. Called high oncologist (not the on call one we spoke to over the weekend) and she sent him back the infectious disease doctor. She ran some more blood tests because she was so sure it was viral like the ER said. He's been doing chemo and radiation for about 10 days now. I don't want it to be anything that he has to stop that. It's also scary to not know why he's running a fever, I hope it's nothing serious. I am so scared I just want him to be okay.

Michele

Comments

• MrsJP
    MrsJP Member Posts: 157
    Chemo/Fever
    My son spiked a fever after he was disconnected from his first 46hr chemo regiment. His employer sent him tothe er--his labs came back fine. His local oncologist explained that the chemo was attacking the tumors and they released alot of toxins and the fever was his bodys way of fighting the toxins. He went to bed and slept for hours and woke up in a sweat and no fever.. Being on some chemo's lowers the white blood count and weakens your immune system, your husband could have a viral infection. If it gets worse or last more than a few days, I would go back to the ER or his regular Dr.. I hope everything turns out ok.

Thinkin of you.
    JP
  • mef123
    mef123 Member Posts: 45
    MrsJP said:

Chemo/Fever
    My son spiked a fever after he was disconnected from his first 46hr chemo regiment. His employer sent him tothe er--his labs came back fine. His local oncologist explained that the chemo was attacking the tumors and they released alot of toxins and the fever was his bodys way of fighting the toxins. He went to bed and slept for hours and woke up in a sweat and no fever.. Being on some chemo's lowers the white blood count and weakens your immune system, your husband could have a viral infection. If it gets worse or last more than a few days, I would go back to the ER or his regular Dr.. I hope everything turns out ok.

Thinkin of you.
    JP

fever
    My husbands fever hit 104 last night. I am so scared, he looks so sick. If they don't figure out what the fever is caused by they are putting him in the hospital on Friday. I hope that doesn't happen, he doesn't want to be in the hospital again and it will be so rough on our son. This is so tough, I don't know how to handle it. I'm just scared.

Michele
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    mef123 said:

fever
    My husbands fever hit 104 last night. I am so scared, he looks so sick. If they don't figure out what the fever is caused by they are putting him in the hospital on Friday. I hope that doesn't happen, he doesn't want to be in the hospital again and it will be so rough on our son. This is so tough, I don't know how to handle it. I'm just scared.

Michele

Hi Michele,
    This is a rough

Hi Michele,
    This is a rough time and I am very sorry that you and your son and husband have to deal with a mysterious fever on top of everything else. Hope whatever it is that is causing the fever is found and resolved quickly.
    Your Friend in California~
  • mef123
    mef123 Member Posts: 45
    tommycat said:

Hi Michele,
    This is a rough

Hi Michele,
    This is a rough time and I am very sorry that you and your son and husband have to deal with a mysterious fever on top of everything else. Hope whatever it is that is causing the fever is found and resolved quickly.
    Your Friend in California~

fever
    My husband is now on cipro and flagyl for his mysterious infection and fever. All the bloodwork came back negative. I don't know if that's good or bad. I wish the fever would just go away. He's 2 weeks into chemo and radiation so maybe the fever is from one of those.

Michele
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    mef123 said:

fever
    My husband is now on cipro and flagyl for his mysterious infection and fever. All the bloodwork came back negative. I don't know if that's good or bad. I wish the fever would just go away. He's 2 weeks into chemo and radiation so maybe the fever is from one of those.

Michele

I have been with fever while on chemo due to
    neutropenia it's very common check his WBC and neutrophils !
    Hope it hep!