Depression after chemo and surgery?

dolphingrl
dolphingrl Member Posts: 4 Member
Hi all,
I just joined this site and this is my first post. I completed my chemo and had a single mastectomy a month ago. I'm in the process of reconstruction and getting physical therapy. I still need Herceptin infusions once every three weeks for the next 6 months but I have officially been declared Cancer free by my doctors. During all the months of chemo and all the things I had to go through before I could even start chemo, I managed pretty well emotionally. But now I find myself feeling overwhelmingly sad and crying very easily.
Has anyone else felt this way? I just beat cancer, so why am I not ecstatic?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments!

Comments

• mruczko
    mruczko Member Posts: 110
    Depression
    Dear Dolphingirl
    Welcome to this site no-one wants to be on. You will find the Pink Sisters to be informative and compassionate. I don't think there is anyone out there who has not faced depression at one time or another. For me the process of chemo/surgery/radiation was physically so debilitating all I could do is put one foot in front of the other. Once it is "over" the reality of it all comes crashing down on us. Do talk to your doctor about this, anti-depressants do help, so is talking to the Sisters, pour your heart out, we have been there, we understand.
    Many hugs, Marlene
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    My doctor said
    Hi, I'm sorry you are going through what my doctor said is normal for cancer patients to experience. I recently finished my last surgery june 2011 after 2yrs of surgeries and treatment I was ok during the course of 2yrs then I started to feel sad all the time, cry all the time, agitated all the time, parinoid over my health and scarred. I recently, went on antidepressants and I am feeling better. I'm still trying to feel like myself again but, I think I need to find my new self if that makes sense. You will find most of the pink sisters have and are experiencing similiar emotions. I'm glad you are free of that intrusive enemy.

Ballerina
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Ask for some Medication
    Hi Dolphingrl,

This is a very common experience. From diagnose through treatment, one tries to hold it together.

Ask your doctor for something to help you over this rough spot.

Best,

Doris
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    It is very common to get
    It is very common to get socked by depression once we are through with active treatment. It definitely happened to me. We need to grieve; we've experienced a loss. Medication helped me. Therapy helped me. Yoga helped me. Talking to friends and posting on this site helped me. It's been three years since I finished surgery, chemo and rads. I can attest that things do get better, it just takes time. Hang in there! I think those tears help cleanse the soul. xoxoxo Lynn
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    During all the surgery and
    During all the surgery and chemo and everything you really don't have time to process all that is going on. When you are in fight mode your body wont let you break down. I found that after I was done with everything, I just wanted to break down and cry. This is a lot to go through physically and emotionally. Get what ever help works for you, therapy or anti depressants or even just set aside time to cry. Kaiser has a stress management class for cancer patients along with the breast cancer support groups.

Go easy on yourself at the very least,
    Cindy
  • dolphingrl
    Ballerina said:

My doctor said
    Hi, I'm sorry you are going through what my doctor said is normal for cancer patients to experience. I recently finished my last surgery june 2011 after 2yrs of surgeries and treatment I was ok during the course of 2yrs then I started to feel sad all the time, cry all the time, agitated all the time, parinoid over my health and scarred. I recently, went on antidepressants and I am feeling better. I'm still trying to feel like myself again but, I think I need to find my new self if that makes sense. You will find most of the pink sisters have and are experiencing similiar emotions. I'm glad you are free of that intrusive enemy.

Ballerina

thank you
    Thanks to all of you awesome ladies that replied to me. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who has felt this way. I've been through so much - as we all have - and it's just sinking in. I'm also getting ready to return to work for the first time in over 6 months and am worried about how that's going to be. Well, one step at at time, right?
    Thanks again for your support!
  • dolphingrl
    mamolady said:

During all the surgery and
    During all the surgery and chemo and everything you really don't have time to process all that is going on. When you are in fight mode your body wont let you break down. I found that after I was done with everything, I just wanted to break down and cry. This is a lot to go through physically and emotionally. Get what ever help works for you, therapy or anti depressants or even just set aside time to cry. Kaiser has a stress management class for cancer patients along with the breast cancer support groups.

Go easy on yourself at the very least,
    Cindy

thank you
    new
    Thanks to all of you awesome ladies that replied to me. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who has felt this way. I've been through so much - as we all have - and it's just sinking in. I'm also getting ready to return to work for the first time in over 6 months and am worried about how that's going to be. Well, one step at at time, right?
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member

thank you

hold on
    It does get easier, but it is a bumpy road....we have all experienced the ups and downs, I felt totally alone the day my radiation was over. I went home and cried and just sat there kind of numb and said, now what? Well I had to alllow myself some self pity, I had been through hell and out the other end. Now I am happily back to work part time and trying not to exhaust myself to much with all that gets thrown my way, and all that I "take on" because I think I can...so go slowly into that great day...it really will be ok, I am counting on it. Sinee
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

thank you
    new

Totally normal
    Once all the "big stuff" is "over" the possibilities finally hit home. It's also a little like post-partem depression - "now what?". Hang in there, it gets better. It also helps if you have a support group in your area. Just a chance to talk with other women who've been on the journey can be a big help.