Chest feels like it is in a vise-- doctor update

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
edited November 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Dr. called, the fluid in the lungs is from the progression of the cancer throughout my ribs and chest wall. I will see him Wednesday and will need to make some decisions then. Will start chemo again next Friday or the following Wednesday. He said it is progressing quickly... he said the tumor in the liver is the least of my worries, nothing to be done for the fluid and the pain except pain meds at this time.

I was not expecting this.

Finished 2nd antibiotic a little over a week ago, for sinus and cough. Now chest feels even worse than it did before. Called my onco today, he scheduled a ct scan tomorrow. I think it feels like pneumonia, I think he is checking for lung mets. Have had the cough for about a month (less while on the antibiotic), and now I can feel every tumor in my ribs and spine from coughing! No fever, just a deep painful cough!~

My whole family came in for a long weekend and between my boys and 4 sisters I had to promise that I would call him today. My niece's funeral was on Monday and I didn't want to miss spending time with my family sitting waiting for a scan. I will admit, I am a little nervous.

Just hoping to feel good!
Carol

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Camel...
    Let's hope and who hopes for "just pneumonia" that's what it is....I've, years ago, had both viral and bacterial pneumonia.... Both produced coughs...raging fever with the bacterial...none with the viral, of which antibiotics won't do a thing.... The cough with the viral lasted 6 weeks.....until it ran it's course.....

Keep us posted, you know how much we care...
    Hugs,Nancy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Oh Carol, this sounds so
    Oh Carol, this sounds so uncomfortable. I would have chosen time with my family over time in a waiting room too. But I'm glad you've called the doc and are having the x-ray, please let us know the results.

I'm hoping you get relief soon.

Hugs,

Linda
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Oh Carol, this sounds so
    Oh Carol, this sounds so uncomfortable. I would have chosen time with my family over time in a waiting room too. But I'm glad you've called the doc and are having the x-ray, please let us know the results.

I'm hoping you get relief soon.

Hugs,

Linda

Carol
    Carol,
    Sorry that you are having a difficult time.
    When I have cough I constantly use coughing candy, they stop or ease cough and make me more comfortable, able to function. My favorites are Ricolia, original herb.
    Washing you cough will go away soon
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Non Productive Dry Cough
    Hi Carol,

Good luck with your ct scan. Your stage IV, so there is no emergency. I had a dry non productive cough for a year before having a ct scan. I also was dealing with a bad infection at the time. The infection was more acute than the cough, so I put scanning on hold until the other was in total control.

My dry non productive cough was never painful, it was the symptom for my widespread in both lungs and lining. It was just a very annoying cough.

I have a dry non productive cough now as I do have active tumors while on a break from treatment. It isn't painful, but very tiresome. It is annoying to those around you. Usually you have some sort of shortness of breath along with the cough. I do have that symptom too.

Hope this help.

Best,

Doris
  • MAJW

Carol
    Carol,
    When I have cough I constantly use coughing candy, they stop or ease cough and make me more comfortable, able to function. My favorites are Ricolia, original herb.

Bump up and....
    Carol, let us know how you're feeling and your test results...

Wishing you the best...
    Nancy
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am glad you are scheduled
    I am glad you are scheduled for a CT. Tightness in the chest can indeed be pneumonia, but it can also be a symptom of many other conditions. Heart problems can also present this way so you need to be thoroughly checked. Please feel free to pm me if I can help in any way. And keep us updated. Hugs and prayers!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    chest feels like vise
    Carol, so sorry you are uncomfortable. I am also sorry that you had a death in your family along with everything else. Good luck with your appmt. Keep us posted!

Hugs & prayers sent your way!
  • camul
    Just got home from the ct
    Just got home from the ct scan. They didn't have an rn to access my port. They were adv ahead that I had a port but the appointment setter failed to let the techs know. They looked at my veins and said no! laugh
    So they called the hospital and I went to get dressed again, but then the hosp called back and decided to send an rn over to this imaging center which is about a mile away. I was surprised that they have cut back on so much help! Made me wonder what they would do if there was an emergency? It took a little longer, but I am glad it is done.
    Now I just have to wait for the doctor to call in the morning and decide if I need another antibiotic or what they will do!
    The techs were wonderful, and it was really quiet where they had me wait so it was really calm and relaxing..... not like my days are so full, it would have been nap time if I were home!

I will keep you posted, thank you everyone.

Carol
  • camul
    SIROD said:

Non Productive Dry Cough
    Hi Carol,

Good luck with your ct scan. Your stage IV, so there is no emergency. I had a dry non productive cough for a year before having a ct scan. I also was dealing with a bad infection at the time. The infection was more acute than the cough, so I put scanning on hold until the other was in total control.

My dry non productive cough was never painful, it was the symptom for my widespread in both lungs and lining. It was just a very annoying cough.

I have a dry non productive cough now as I do have active tumors while on a break from treatment. It isn't painful, but very tiresome. It is annoying to those around you. Usually you have some sort of shortness of breath along with the cough. I do have that symptom too.

Hope this help.

Best,

Doris

Doris,
    I hope that being

Doris,

I hope that being stage IV does not mean that it is not important. It may not even be related to the cancer other than the fact that my immune system is so run down, even if it is a virus or an infection, it is hanging around! I sure hope that the doctor feels it is important to still treat other issues that may come up! I would hate to go through all this chemo and lose it to something as treatable as pneumonia or miss something if it was heart related.

Unfortunately, my chest feels like it is being squeezed and it may just be from coughing, but I agree with my onco that it is a good idea to find out what is causing it!

Thanks you though,
    Carol
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-/
    Carol I hate reading that you feel so poorly, I am glad you are getting that CT quickly. I know it is near impossible to not think about mets but try to busy yourself with things that bring you joy, a good movie, a good book, a hobby or even a nice dinner out setting the thought aside. I know how it feels to have to wait, know that you are in my prayers.

RE
  • camul
    RE said:

:-/
    Carol I hate reading that you feel so poorly, I am glad you are getting that CT quickly. I know it is near impossible to not think about mets but try to busy yourself with things that bring you joy, a good movie, a good book, a hobby or even a nice dinner out setting the thought aside. I know how it feels to have to wait, know that you are in my prayers.

RE

Thanks RE. Tomorrow will be
    Thanks RE. Tomorrow will be soon enough to talk to my onco! I didn't like some of what I read, but I will wait to get upset until he verifies that what I read is what I think it means. But there are no masses in the lungs, but looks like excessive bronchial fluid and activity in the liver, which I didn't like seeing. So I will grab a book, take my meds and snuggle up warm and read for a while. I just was hoping no more chemo til after Christmas!

I just really hate this disease!

Carol
  • SIROD
    camul said:

Thanks RE. Tomorrow will be
    Thanks RE. Tomorrow will be soon enough to talk to my onco! I didn't like some of what I read, but I will wait to get upset until he verifies that what I read is what I think it means. But there are no masses in the lungs, but looks like excessive bronchial fluid and activity in the liver, which I didn't like seeing. So I will grab a book, take my meds and snuggle up warm and read for a while. I just was hoping no more chemo til after Christmas!

I just really hate this disease!

Carol

Tomorrow
    Dear Carol,

I hope the activity in the liver is benign. That can happen and it does scare one to hear such things. Been there.

There is no sense in worrying and a good read will help you forget about your troubles.

Will send positive thoughts your way for a good outcome.

Best,

Doris
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    SIROD said:

Tomorrow
    Dear Carol,

I hope the activity in the liver is benign. That can happen and it does scare one to hear such things. Been there.

There is no sense in worrying and a good read will help you forget about your troubles.

Will send positive thoughts your way for a good outcome.

Best,

Doris

Sending warm hugs
    to you for tonight and prayers for a good report in the morning.

Suzanne
  • MAJW

Sending warm hugs
    to you for tonight and prayers for a good report in the morning.

Suzanne

Yikes!
    Who wouldn't worry! So easily said....Carol, most understand the anxiety of waiting....And I agree with you 100% that just because we are stageIV it doesn't matter if yet another problem arises... Good heavens above! I pray my oncologist never adopts that attitude.....if so, I'd be finding another!

Keep us posted and updated when you feel up to it....
    My very best to you and sending hugs and prayers your way.
    Nancy
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    MAJW said:

Yikes!
    Who wouldn't worry! So easily said....Carol, most understand the anxiety of waiting....And I agree with you 100% that just because we are stageIV it doesn't matter if yet another problem arises... Good heavens above! I pray my oncologist never adopts that attitude.....if so, I'd be finding another!

Keep us posted and updated when you feel up to it....
    My very best to you and sending hugs and prayers your way.
    Nancy

Carol - just wanted you to
    Carol - just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and
    prayers tonight and hoping for the best report tomorrow.

Luv & hugs, Teresa
  • SIROD
    camul said:

Doris,
    I hope that being

Doris,

I hope that being stage IV does not mean that it is not important. It may not even be related to the cancer other than the fact that my immune system is so run down, even if it is a virus or an infection, it is hanging around! I sure hope that the doctor feels it is important to still treat other issues that may come up! I would hate to go through all this chemo and lose it to something as treatable as pneumonia or miss something if it was heart related.

Unfortunately, my chest feels like it is being squeezed and it may just be from coughing, but I agree with my onco that it is a good idea to find out what is causing it!

Thanks you though,
    Carol

Stage IV - Emergencies
    Dear Carol,

I also agree 100% that you need to know what is causing your terrible coughing asap.

When I stated cancer no matter what stage is usually not an emergency, I mean it's not often an ER one. A day, a week is not going to make any difference with your cancer cells, new lesions in your liver, new nodules in your lungs or new places on your bone. Usually for stage IV it means a new treatment.

Unlike an infection, a heart attack, breathing problems or those similar problems that are life threatening.

Infections are dangerous and they are ER problems. If one is having a hard time to breath, then it certainly should be checked on immediately. If your coughing was non stop and if you wanted your ct scan quicker then certainly it might be an ER problem.

Hoping that everything will work out for you Carol and you will have some idea what you are dealing with this morning. Your ct scan report should be available and I always have mine in hand even before talking with the doctor. If you have questions, it is easier when the report is in front of you.

Good luck today,

Doris
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I am glad you are scheduled
    I am glad you are scheduled for a CT. Tightness in the chest can indeed be pneumonia, but it can also be a symptom of many other conditions. Heart problems can also present this way so you need to be thoroughly checked. Please feel free to pm me if I can help in any way. And keep us updated. Hugs and prayers!

Carol, wishing you good luck
    Carol, wishing you good luck with your tests. I'll be watching for an update from you.

Praying,

Lex
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Carol
    Carol,

Carol, I am so very sorry.
    Carol, I am so very sorry. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and support to you!

Hugs, Diane
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Carol, how did your scan go?
    You have been such a tough cookie... I am sorry you
    are not feeling well.

Have you started chemo again? Hang in there Carol.
    Gosh.. I wish I could give you a real hug.

Ayse
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    aysemari said:

Carol, how did your scan go?
    You have been such a tough cookie... I am sorry you
    are not feeling well.

Have you started chemo again? Hang in there Carol.
    Gosh.. I wish I could give you a real hug.

Ayse

Carol...just wanted you to
    Carol...just wanted you to know i'm thinking of you...keep us posted...

Tons of Hugs
    Eva