feeding tube difficulty

Has anyone that had a feeding tube had difficulty getting the cap off of the j-tube? My husband's seems to have stuck. We have tried everything. Luckily a couple of days ago he opted to stop tube feedings to see how he would do. However, I can't get the frickin cap off to do a flush. Is this something that happens when they get older?

Comments

• NikiMo
    NikiMo Member Posts: 342
    Coke
    Not sure if my husband has the same j-tube as yours but we lost our cap a long time ago he uses a make shift cap now. I know thta when he gets food stuck in the j-tube we put coke through it and that cleans it out. Does your husband tube have two openings? Maybe soaking the capped area in coke might help loosen up the dried food that is making it stick.
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    VICE GRIPS
    There is a VERY serious post on here not to far back about using VICE GRIPS to get it open.
    I will res-post if someone can't find it first??

Help me out people!!

Eric
  • Laura23
    Laura23 Member Posts: 81

VICE GRIPS
    There is a VERY serious post on here not to far back about using VICE GRIPS to get it open.
    I will res-post if someone can't find it first??

Help me out people!!

Eric

Keep trying.
    My husband had that problem. It would sometimes take 15 to 20 minutes to get the cap open. Once he figured out that if he dried the inside with a little piece of paper towel before closing it up, he didn't have that problem anymore. I can't give you any specific advice on how to get it open, except just keep trying. Eventually, it does open.
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    We had this issue as well....
    One quick call to the nurse's station and situation resolved!

Fill a coffee mug with hot water. Dip the end of the Jtube into the hot water for about 15 - 30 seconds. The gunk holding the cap closed will have "melted" or done whatever it does..... Either way, issue solved.

Hope this helps you!

Terry