radiation

madsters1
madsters1 Member Posts: 120
Hi all, I'm in the middle of my 1st chemo treatment and looking ahead to the next phase of the journey...radiation. I cancelled a scheduled consultation appointment today for radiation therapy. I realize it isn't until the second appt. (the simulation) that anything is really done TO you, but I'm just not ready to begin a new phase. I'm still in one.
Anyway, as with all my other procedures and treatment plans, I HAVE to know everything about it. Can anyone tell me their experience of radiation. I realize it is painless. I am planning to request semi permanent ink rather than tattoos. I hate the idea of being "laid out" on the table with my arms raised, bare breasted while people "hover" over me fitting me for the mold and writing on my body! I KNOW I'm warped, but it feels very invasive. Maybe it shouldn't by now, numerous procedures, exams, and surgeries later. Although I think I never want it to get to be "old hat" that I'm being exposed and invaded. Maybe at that point you've lost something more.
Anyway,I was reading up on the therapy which really after the planning only lasts a few minutes (BUT EVERYDAY), and it said they have to take pictures of the area to be treated. Can anyone tell me 1.) Are we allowed to cover any part of our breast not being treated? Is there any dignity retained? and 2.) Were any of you able to get by with non tattoo markings? This discussion board has been a tremendous help. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Radiation....
    There is a new thread started on this board you may want to read...different experiences with radiation from the women...

I just finished rads for a second time due to a recurrence...this time the only mold was for my head...totally different from two years ago...my arms rested above my head in stirrups this time...the tattoos are no big deal...a quick bee like sting...if you didn't know where to look, mine wouldn't be noticeable...plus they use sharpie markers otherwise, which will take the techs longer to do your treatments, as they wear off...and they must be precise for the radiation field...and every part that isn't being radiated is totally covered...at least that's my experience...the techs are very conscious of your comfort and modesty level...I actually had two male techs more than a few times...trust me, they've seen it all and think nothing of what they see......At this stage, I could care less who sees my boobs.....lol. If you can withstand chemo and you've just started, radiation is far easier, at least for me....you can do it! Plus, don't look so far ahead....get through chemo before worrying about rads....

Keep us posted...we care
    Hugs,Nancy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    MAJW said:

Radiation....
    There is a new thread started on this board you may want to read...different experiences with radiation from the women...

I just finished rads for a second time due to a recurrence...this time the only mold was for my head...totally different from two years ago...my arms rested above my head in stirrups this time...the tattoos are no big deal...a quick bee like sting...if you didn't know where to look, mine wouldn't be noticeable...plus they use sharpie markers otherwise, which will take the techs longer to do your treatments, as they wear off...and they must be precise for the radiation field...and every part that isn't being radiated is totally covered...at least that's my experience...the techs are very conscious of your comfort and modesty level...I actually had two male techs more than a few times...trust me, they've seen it all and think nothing of what they see......At this stage, I could care less who sees my boobs.....lol. If you can withstand chemo and you've just started, radiation is far easier, at least for me....you can do it! Plus, don't look so far ahead....get through chemo before worrying about rads....

Keep us posted...we care
    Hugs,Nancy

radiation
    Hi madsters-To respond to your questions about rads--

The simulation day took a long time--maybe 2-3 hours, so be prepared for that.
    The rest of the treatments weren't time-consuming at all, once the techs had
    all the measurements figured out. I dreaded the idea of going every day, but
    it was over before I knew it! Hope it goes that fast for you.

The tatoos are just little dots to help the techs line everything up quickly.
    They did them about 3 weeks into treatment; it was a hassle having the Sharpie
    marks; they were always washing off in the shower, etc. So I was glad to get
    them done.

During the treatment, everything except the affected area was covered. I walked
    to the treatment table with a surgical towel over my chest, so I only removed it
    after lying down on the table. The tecs were great; I was never once embarrassed
    or ill at ease.

Good luck!
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Tux said:

radiation
    Hi madsters-To respond to your questions about rads--

The simulation day took a long time--maybe 2-3 hours, so be prepared for that.
    The rest of the treatments weren't time-consuming at all, once the techs had
    all the measurements figured out. I dreaded the idea of going every day, but
    it was over before I knew it! Hope it goes that fast for you.

The tatoos are just little dots to help the techs line everything up quickly.
    They did them about 3 weeks into treatment; it was a hassle having the Sharpie
    marks; they were always washing off in the shower, etc. So I was glad to get
    them done.

During the treatment, everything except the affected area was covered. I walked
    to the treatment table with a surgical towel over my chest, so I only removed it
    after lying down on the table. The tecs were great; I was never once embarrassed
    or ill at ease.

Good luck!

radiation
    Thank you Tux! Your reply was both encouraging and comforting to me. I appreciate your acknowledging my concerns and really, rights of modesty. By that time I won't have any hair. How does that work? Do you have to have treatment with no head covering? Also, how did you do concerning pain from burning and/or swelling? Did you have a hard time?
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    madsters1 said:

radiation
    Thank you Tux! Your reply was both encouraging and comforting to me. I appreciate your acknowledging my concerns and really, rights of modesty. By that time I won't have any hair. How does that work? Do you have to have treatment with no head covering? Also, how did you do concerning pain from burning and/or swelling? Did you have a hard time?

I had rads and never thought
    I had rads and never thought much about it. I was great friends with the techs by the end. Other than that first one (which if you have trouble lying still like I do, I recommend some ativan or something) you are literally in there for 2-3 minutes. I used aquaphor throughout. I had one instance of a significant burn and we suspended treatment for a week to let it heal. There was no pain or discomfort for me. I would have to look for the tattoos to be honest and the one area they used sharpee because they were having trouble with it lining up and didn't want to do a permanent one. That was more of a pain in the butt...especially after my week off.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Madsters,
    The treatment it

Madsters,
    The treatment it self is painless, however some of us burn as the treatments progress, which is not painless. I ended up with blisters.
    1. The techs do maintain what ever amount of privacy you wish that will not interfere with treatment. They are very good about that.
    2. The tatoos are only little dots. I don't know that they can just use sharpies as that is how they line up the machine. I did not have a mold, my arms were in little holders.

I you don't have hair, you may want to wear a beanie as it is cold in the room. They will give you a blanket but that won't do any good for your head.

All the best, this part is way easier than chemo!
    Cindy
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    My radiation was to my hips,
    My radiation was to my hips, pelvic and tailbone. So talk about being exposed?? I was face down on the table with the pelvic area lifted on a pillow like thing that usually goes under your knees. I really never felt exposed, it took a minute to line me up each day, and then put the sheep up over my bum. They were very professional and pulled my sweats back up b4 they took the sheet off of me. They took a picture the first day while they were setting me up, but never left me exposed longer than necessary.

I did get to see the picture on the front of my chart, and it was my big bum! They do this all day long every 10 - 15 minutes and I never felt uncomfortable, just thankful that they were so respectful, helpful, and nice to me. I couldn't even get on or off the table without assistance and truly appreciated them for all that they do!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    camul said:

My radiation was to my hips,
    My radiation was to my hips, pelvic and tailbone. So talk about being exposed?? I was face down on the table with the pelvic area lifted on a pillow like thing that usually goes under your knees. I really never felt exposed, it took a minute to line me up each day, and then put the sheep up over my bum. They were very professional and pulled my sweats back up b4 they took the sheet off of me. They took a picture the first day while they were setting me up, but never left me exposed longer than necessary.

I did get to see the picture on the front of my chart, and it was my big bum! They do this all day long every 10 - 15 minutes and I never felt uncomfortable, just thankful that they were so respectful, helpful, and nice to me. I couldn't even get on or off the table without assistance and truly appreciated them for all that they do!

No hair....
    I wore my wig during rads...even being able to do that helped my dignity....I never burned...but got very red after the last 7 treatments, which were boosters...I used my Biofine( Rx) religiously,4 times a day...carried it in my purse and put it on before I even put my bra and top back on....

Again, best wishes...
    Nancy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I had rad treatments twice a
    I had rad treatments twice a day, 44 total treatments, and didn't ever feel that the techs were being disrespectful of my modesty at any time. They never "hovered"...they lined me up, then left the room (like a dental tech leaves for x-rays). I also did not find what they were doing invasive in any way. Mammograms for me were far more "invasive" or personal. The rads onc and the rads tech were a part of my team, we were all working together to eliminate the cancer. They did their job, and I did mine.

In my opinion, tattoos are better... they won't have to be re-done like permanent ink (even permanent ink comes off after enough showers and after the layers of the dermis grow out and slough off). That means you only have to do the longer simulation appointment once. Second, having the tattoo right the first time leaves less room for error through your treatments. Finally, the tattoos can help identify the field of radiation if it's ever needed in the future. I have 4 tiny dots that are the size of a small freckle, and slightly darker than my own freckles.

I hope this helps you, but know that whatever you decide, you have our support.

Hugs,

Linda