my oncologist appt & his thoughts on my decision

lisa42
lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
I saw my oncologist today- the first follow up with any doctor since being released from the hospital 2-1/2 weeks ago with the pneumonia (although I did have nurses coming to the house to check on me a few times until mid last week).
He wants me to have my next CT scan in about two weeks from now- still giving a bit more time for the lungs to completely clear out from the infection. He said my lungs sounded pretty good. I have had a very mild fever a few times over the past week, including last night (it's always at night & always is normal during the day). It seemed like I was getting a sinus infection- fighting seasonal fall allergies and the congestion that goes with it at the same time trying to clear out all the infection and congestion from my lungs. Onc wants a sputum sample from me to see if I'm still growing the bacteria that caused the pneumonia or not. I asked if I should go on zithromycin or something like that for the sinuses. He replied that if I developed that while I was still on the heavy duty antibiotics (forgot what their names were), that zithromycin (often referred to as a "z-pack") wouldn't even touch it. Hmmm... I'll keep taking the echinacea, vitamin C, and acai as well as the medicine nightly to try to dry this stuff up.

I'm getting stronger & started driving again yesterday- I'm doing ok. I do still get really tired, though. After driving my daughter to school this morning (an 18 mile drive to her charter school) then going shopping at Trader Joe's and driving home again, I was so tired I was ready to fall over, so I had a good hour and a half nap so that I'd be alert enough to drive this afternoon to the onc appt.

Well... how did my onc react when I told him I decided not to do anymore chemo? I then asked him if he were in my position would he do more chemo... he hesitated, then said "Hypothetically speaking, if I were in your situation, I don't think I'd do anymore chemo either. I might even do some of the alternative things you're doing." WOW- that made me feel better about my decision. Onc is worried that more chemo will further erode my immune system and that I'd be more likely to end up w/ another infection or pneumonia again if I took it. I'm glad that I at least have another plan with the vegan diet, juicing, and supplements, because I don't think he'd have anything to offer me otherwise.
I told him that, so far as reactions from others about my decision, that I mostly got support but that a few people around me were upset that I was "giving up". He replied that he didn't think I was giving up, just moving on to something different.

I am now feeling even more confident. Plus the fact that I still believe in an "11th hour God"- He can still step in and save the day & a healing at this point would be even more dramatic and impacting on others. I also know that may not happen, but I will do what I can on my end and never, ever give up my faith no matter what happens.

Blessings to all-
Lisa

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Lisa
    I'm glad your oncologist is supportive of your decision and I know I would have a hard time making the decision you have made. For your oncologist to agree with you must make you feel like you have made the right decision. In no way are you giving up, you are going to fight with a different weapon, nutrition. I wish you only the best. Lori
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    have you looked up yoga breathing
    it may help your lungs, just an area to research, if your interested.
    the onc's reply is encouraging, build your health as fast and peacefully as possible.
    hugs,
    pete
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

have you looked up yoga breathing
    it may help your lungs, just an area to research, if your interested.
    the onc's reply is encouraging, build your health as fast and peacefully as possible.
    hugs,
    pete

lisa
    Lisa I am so happy your onc agreed with you.....if that is your decision I am so glad he has respected it

I think about you all the time....

wishing only the best for you

mags
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Lisa
    I am so glad that your onc is so supportive of your decisions!!

FWIW, I don't see this as you giving up. You're just trying something different.

Thinking of you all the time...

Love and Hugs to you, girl!

Holly
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    You are definitely not
    You are definitely not giving up and do not ever let anyone think you are. I think when people think that or say that, it is because they are afraid of losing you. I remember when my mom was fighting this, I always think that she stuck it out with the chemo as long as she did, because I could not accept losing her. I needed her to fight, but for me, that is not always fair or the correct choice for her. But I was afraid. Someone once posted that when cancer kills someone, that cancer did not win. That it is really more of a draw because your cancer can not live without you, when you die, it dies too. I always liked this idea, that cancer does not win.

I hope the alternate choices prove to continue to kick cancer's **** and this is just another way to fight it.
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    next steps
    I'm glad, and it's impressive, that he supported your thinking. Such a relief.

You know, if chemo is out of the regular tx picture, where "best supportive care" might overlap "alternative" might be an interesting insurance question. e.g. toward infusion support costs like IV C. We do blood testing for tx guidance and emergencies with, or without, conventional chemo, too.
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm all for your decision!
    I'm all for your decision! Love you Lisa!!

Gail
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Enjoy
    Enjoy everyday even more now. I will be thinking of you and praying that all of your alternatives do even better that chemo ever did!!!
    Jeff
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Lisa
    Lisa,
    It sounds like a good appointment with your onc. It is good to hear that he was supportive. I am keeping you in my prayers.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Lisa
    Lisa,

I have been thinking of you so much lately. You are always in my prayers. I am so glad that you are going in the direction that your heart leads you and that you have support for your decision. We are always here for you and we love you.

Amy
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    So glad
    Am so happy that you are feeling better! Sounds like you and your doctor have a very good relationship and that is so helpful. I am sure that you will feel better and better as you recover from the effects of the chemo. Hoping that you find the "magic bullet" that keeps the beast under control!
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    mom_2_3 said:

Lisa
    Lisa,

I have been thinking of you so much lately. You are always in my prayers. I am so glad that you are going in the direction that your heart leads you and that you have support for your decision. We are always here for you and we love you.

Amy

It's good to hear your onc.
    It's good to hear your onc. supported your decision. Wishing you much strength as you go down this new path.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    A new direction
    Glad you are taking a new direction in your life. This will make you more comfortable and knowing that you have tried everything. Glad your onc. agrees with you and your decision. Hoping that the supplements and new diet improve your immune system and you feel better soon.

Hugs! Kim
  • have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    good luck on the scan
    I know it's in two weeks but will be thinking of you. I'm glad you have a supportive onc. Thank you for reminding us never never give up.
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    My dear Lisa
    You already know that I completely support your decision as I am one of those people that believes in "natural" methods for fighting cancer. I have been on lots of chemo and realize that it has helped me, but also harmed me. I have been afraid to not do chemo, but have tried to incorporate juicing, supplements, etc..into my treatment plan. I have to admit that I was surprised to hear the response from your onc. I am so glad that he was honest and speaking from his heart. You have not, in any way, given up and this is just another treatment plan that I pray will completely heal you of cancer.

Love and hugs,
    Sara
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Dear Lisa,I am glad that
    Dear Lisa,I am glad that your oncologist was supportive of your decision.You are a super warrior and hero in my eyes,I never thought you "give up".Best wishes and best luck to you with the alternative treatments.Hope your mild fever and all other symptoms go away very soon.
  • karen40
    karen40 Member Posts: 211 Member
    Lisa
    I'm so glad to hear that you have the support of your onc. and are feeling more confident in your decision.
    Karen
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    All In Favor?
    Say AYE:)

I'm happy that you're happy and it was nice to get an honest answer to your questions. Wonders never cease:)

Peace and Tranquility be with you in the coming days...

-the Lion
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member

Dear Lisa,I am glad that
    Dear Lisa,I am glad that your oncologist was supportive of your decision.You are a super warrior and hero in my eyes,I never thought you "give up".Best wishes and best luck to you with the alternative treatments.Hope your mild fever and all other symptoms go away very soon.

Lisa
    No way, you're not giving up. Praying for you every day.

You mentioned you thought you may be getting a sinus infection. Don't know if this helps or not. I know you still have a little ways to go with the remnants of the pneumonia, but I wonder if just a humidifier or vaporizer would help with the congestion, in getting it out, helping it flush out whatever is causing the symptoms. I love California, but I can tell that the air is so much drier (don't laugh). Every time i go there, i take a vaporizer. Both my husband and me would have full-blown sinus issues if we didn't. I use it here as soon as we turn on the furnace in the fall or winter, never had colds or sinus problems since. It has been my single best, easy, cheap, investment. I swear by it and tell everyone. Not sure if this would have any adverse effect with the last of the pneumonia, but thought I would mention it. And, as you know anyway, a vaporizer should be the cold-mist type, i believe, not the warm-mist due to bacteria. I think i said that right, anyway, it can be goggled, like everything else :)
    Onward and upward. joan
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Lisa, I am happy your dr.
    Lisa, I am happy your dr. suported you. I will be praying for you as always.
    May God Bless you and your family.
    Judy