First Worldwide Guidelines for Advanced Breast Cancer on the Horizon

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
Experts from around the world are meeting in Spain to set forth guidelines for the treatment of advanced breast cancer. This is so important because both physicians and patients will have access to recommendations for care.

Guidelines have begun to multiply for many conditions (for example, google "guidelines for asthma control") and can help us weed out the non-physicians (or noncologists as Chen calls them) and can also help health care providers stay current. Many times, they provide a cookbook approach to a condition that can be very helpful. A win-win for everyone, in my opinion.

Here is what will be included in the guidelines:

"The first consensus guidelines will include:
Balanced decisions regarding cost.
The need for routine psychosocial support, multidisciplinary care and patient involvement in decision-making.
Clear communication regarding incurable but treatable nature of metastatic disease.
A comprehensive list of factors to take into consideration for treatment choice, and a matrix of approaches to apply according to the biological nature of the cancer (hormone receptor positive/negative, HER-2 positive/negative, etc.).
Chemotherapy and targeted therapy options.
Optimal treatment of bone and brain metastases.
Enrolling patients in clinical trials as a priority.
Palliative care provision, including optimal pain control."

Advanced Breast Cancer - First Worldwide Guidelines

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=237613

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    As always....
    You keep us,once again, on top of things....Thanks CC....!

Big hugs, Nancy
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    MAJW said:

As always....
    You keep us,once again, on top of things....Thanks CC....!

Big hugs, Nancy

Thanks CC
    I swear I get all the good information from you on adv bc and mets. You really are invaluable.

Carol
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I love your nerdy side!
    I love your nerdy side! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hugs,

Linda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

I love your nerdy side!
    I love your nerdy side! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hugs,

Linda

I am a big nerd and,
    I am a big nerd and, according to my older siblings, I was even like that as a baby :-). I just can't help myself.

When my parents were alive, we would spend hours discussing cases and health care. My mom was an ER nurse and my dad was a neurologist and a professor. Family of nerds!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

I am a big nerd and,
    I am a big nerd and, according to my older siblings, I was even like that as a baby :-). I just can't help myself.

When my parents were alive, we would spend hours discussing cases and health care. My mom was an ER nurse and my dad was a neurologist and a professor. Family of nerds!

You...
    Maybe a nerd but you're OUR NERD lol ... and we love you!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Nerds
    Nerds definately have their place. It is how we get so much research done. I am also on the nerdy side. Then of course there are others who are on the fund raiser side. I couldn't do that well. Thanks for the information.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Nerds
    Nerds definately have their place. It is how we get so much research done. I am also on the nerdy side. Then of course there are others who are on the fund raiser side. I couldn't do that well. Thanks for the information.

valuable information ... Thank YOU so much, CC
    for bring this forward for all of us 'WARRIORS'!

In awe of you, nerds ... :)

Vicki Sam
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    VickiSam said:

valuable information ... Thank YOU so much, CC
    for bring this forward for all of us 'WARRIORS'!

In awe of you, nerds ... :)

Vicki Sam

Very, very interesting
    Thank you for this information, Eileen. I hope we can gain access to The Breast in early 2012 to see and read the full recommendations.

We see a huge amount of emphasis on early detection which is without a doubt important. Afterall, if caught early, advanced disease can be avoided for most women. We've probably made great strides already in coralling the disease progression in this way. Yet it's the advanced disease that we all fear most, no matter what stage we were at diagnosis - or even how long ago it was. Our lives have been extended by advances in other areas of medicine (i.e., cardiology) and we're living long enough to experience recurrences.

So, please keep being our nerd in residence. The information you share is always worthwhile and thought provoking. I don't know how we'd know about some of this information without our resident nerd.

Suzanne
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    International Survey...
    Hi Cynthia,

I thought you might enjoy the "International Survey Identifies Key Support and Lifestyle Need of MBC patient". They had the same guidelines you posted also.

http://www.metavivor.org/

Read the METAvivor 2011 MBC Support and Lifestyle Survey Results & Abstract presented at the 2011 MBC Conference in Lisbon, Portugal - the world's first consensus on how to treat and help individuals suffering with advanced breast cancer:

METAvivor Survey Results (PDF Poster)

http://www.metavivor.org/PDFs/LisbonSurveyPoster.pdf

Doris