radiation twice

Options
linny b
linny b Member Posts: 25
Hi, has anyone had radiation for breast cancer on each breast? I know you cannot have radiation again on the same breast, but can each breast receive a dose of radiation?

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Linny,

I had lumpectomies in each breast in 2009. After chemo, I then had radiation to both breasts at the same time. They were careful to map out (what I called) a "demilitarized zone" between my breasts, so there was no overlap in the radiation.

I know others on this board have had lumpectomy and radiation in one breast, then do it all over again later when they've had a recurrence in the other breast.

Hope that helps?

Traci
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Yes.
    Linny,

I had lumpectomies in each breast in 2009. After chemo, I then had radiation to both breasts at the same time. They were careful to map out (what I called) a "demilitarized zone" between my breasts, so there was no overlap in the radiation.

I know others on this board have had lumpectomy and radiation in one breast, then do it all over again later when they've had a recurrence in the other breast.

Hope that helps?

Traci

Traci....
    Is correct....II just finished rads again, for a recurrence...one area this time, was also an area that had previously been radiated...it was radiated this time for only 10 of the 25 treatments.....but first go round of rads, both breasts cab be radiated as Traci said...

Wishing you the best,,,
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've had radiation twice but
    I've had radiation twice but only once was for IBC. In 1948 when I was about 1 1/2 y/o my tonsils were taken out. Back thewn for small children who had tonsikkls out to do radiation to the area to prevent them from growing back. Well - my tonsils grew back anyway. I've been told that hat nasty rads of the time may have contributated to my IBC, for which IK had 25 rads.

Susan
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Yes.
    Linny,

Hope that helps?

Traci

I only had it once Linny on
    I only had it once Linny on one breast. Are you going to have it on both breasts?
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MAJW said:

Traci....
    Is correct....II just finished rads again, for a recurrence...one area this time, was also an area that had previously been radiated...it was radiated this time for only 10 of the 25 treatments.....but first go round of rads, both breasts cab be radiated as Traci said...

Wishing you the best,,,
    Hugs, Nancy

So you can have rads again
    So you can have rads again on the same place?
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Megan M said:

So you can have rads again
    So you can have rads again on the same place?

I had radiation 2x on my
    I had radiation 2x on my tailbone, hips and pelvic region. The ro said it was okay when I asked this same question. She said it depends on how much radiation you have the first time around. However, I can now have it again to that area.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    camul said:

I had radiation 2x on my
    I had radiation 2x on my tailbone, hips and pelvic region. The ro said it was okay when I asked this same question. She said it depends on how much radiation you have the first time around. However, I can now have it again to that area.

Thanks for this info. I had
    Thanks for this info. I had no idea you could have rads in the same place twice.